Anglers at Nether Lock #%^^++^%%!!!!🤬

Jan13

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Reminds me of the Trent fisherman who took it upon himself to start pointing and shouting "there's the middle" when I passed within a few feet of his unattended rod..

I directed him to the 12 foot tall sign directing all craft to keep right that he'd been fishing in front of all day...

I had exactly the same experience!

Normanton sunken island?

18 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It's a year round issue at Nether.

Every time I've been going down through it, no matter what time of year or time of day the lock keeper has always warned of their behaviour.

Due to their habit of shouting abuse and catapulting maggots I've learnt to barrel through at the highest pace I can achieve.

I'm a keen angler and it's not difficult to keep tackle safe from moving craft on a waterway shared by them, i've not experienced maggots being thrown at me but in the event of it happening, after mooring in their equipment - a painful encounter would follow!

21 hours ago, BWM said:

I'm a keen angler and it's not difficult to keep tackle safe from moving craft on a waterway shared by them, i've not experienced maggots being thrown at me but in the event of it happening, after mooring in their equipment - a painful encounter would follow!

Ohhhh you can’t say that…you will be accused of resorting to violence and being a bully….🤣

• Haha 1

On 08/11/2021 at 10:20, BWM said:

You could offer to rearrange their tackle for them? 😂

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I see an angling (rod fishing) competition my heart sinks - sometimes three miles of happy anglers, all scowling at their incredibly expensive carbon fibre rods, sitting on their enormous boxes with dozens of floats, lures and maggots. They all look so happy to see passing boats, and call out merry greetings, often very short greetings containing the word "off". As I pass with the engine barely ticking over they alternate with "slow down" and "go faster". I often get asked if I was aware that a competition was in progress to which I reply "really, where?"

• Haha 2

On 07/11/2021 at 19:06, Jan13 said:

Yeah - I know. 
Which is why I am really racked off

Thank you for that: it's an expression I probably haven't heard since I was at university, there was a student from Yorkshire who used to say it.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Thank you for that: it's an expression I probably haven't heard since I was at university, there was a student from Yorkshire who used to say it.

Ah… my origins are exposed!🤣🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Steady on! I know people who would pay good money for that!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh come on, everyone knows that the canals were built as linear fish ponds for anglers.

We were woken early one morning by the pitter patter of ....... maggots on the deck/roof - we were covered in the wiggly things - a fishing contest had started. I busied myself with early morning tasks; running the engine, throwing buckets of water in the feeder, a bit of brush action .....! I was informed quite strongly that this scared the fish - who knew?

It was a few years ago - now I'd probably just sigh and say, "do you REALLY have to do that mate?"

Edited by Bristolfashion

Reminds me of our first venture on the Trent from Keadby to Cromwell. Just after Besthorpe I noticed a very large gravel barge catching us up at a rate of knots. Being a bit new I steered Midnight to the outside of the bend at Carlton, naturally the gravel barge followed suit until I was very close to the willows with the barge just a few yards behind. Sitting hidden behind one big willow a fisherman shouted sarcastically "Why don't you just come on the bank with me mate". My response was "never mind me son it's this thing behind you need to worry about." as a large bow wave washed up the bank causing said fisherman to grab his gear and head for the high ground. Then there was the very angry fishist sat on the lock landing at the top lock at Heartbreak Hill one August bank holiday complaining about the number of boats.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 07/11/2021 at 15:58, zenataomm said:

It's a year round issue at Nether.

Every time I've been going down through it, no matter what time of year or time of day the lock keeper has always warned of their behaviour.

Due to their habit of shouting abuse and catapulting maggots I've learnt to barrel through at the highest pace I can achieve.

On the L&L a few years back I had a couple of handfuls of maggots thrown at me for disturbing the fish. They came in very handy for when we moored up, I'd previously had no luck with bread as bait for my evening fishing after a day's cruising.