Anglers at Nether Lock #%^^++^%%!!!!🤬

Jan13

Featured Posts

Had to take a little test run in Newark yesterday so went down towards Nether Lock.

It seems that every time I try and go that way, I encounter anglers with unattended rods and bear invisible lines spanning virtually the width of the river.

yesterday was no exception. Sat in their little tents not appearing until I was virtually on top of the numerous lines in the middle of the channel and then angrily shouting because for some reason they didn’t expect to keep an eye out for boats on a navigation!

Apart from it seeming like a regular event here, I thought the fishing season was over by now?

30 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

I thought the fishing season was over by now?

Firstly, using rods and lines is called angling. Fishing is what you do with nets!

Secondly, when did you think the 'fishing season' starts and finishes? When I was a brat it there was a thing called the 'closed season', which ran (IIRC) from March to June each year to give the fish a chance to spawn and reproduce unmolested. I've a vague feeling this idea was changed or possibly abandoned a few decades ago and angling possibly became allowed all the time.

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Jan13 said:

Had to take a little test run in Newark yesterday so went down towards Nether Lock.

It seems that every time I try and go that way, I encounter anglers with unattended rods and bear invisible lines spanning virtually the width of the river.

yesterday was no exception. Sat in their little tents not appearing until I was virtually on top of the numerous lines in the middle of the channel and then angrily shouting because for some reason they didn’t expect to keep an eye out for boats on a navigation!

Apart from it seeming like a regular event here, I thought the fishing season was over by now?

On rivers the closed season is mid March to mid June .

• Greenie 2

30 minutes ago, MtB said:

Firstly, using rods and lines is called angling. Fishing is what you do with nets!

Actually Mr. Pedantry it's referred to as rod fishing by the UK Govt. when they talk about licences.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Depends on the canal.

Some can some cannot.

This may help to clarify the situation about fishing on canals.

Howard

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/fishing/places-to-fish/coarse-fishing-close-season#:~:text=The traditional close season for coarse fishing runs,open. What stays open during the closed season%3F

2 minutes ago, howardang said:

Cheers Howard I was aware of the link as I once helped an elderly mate find out where he could and couldn't fish on the the canals.

Some others will clearly benefit from it though.

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I think you should be more tolerant. They are forced out of their homes for whatever reason ( probably because they generaly shout a lot), and are forced to try and catch virus ridden bottom feeders to eat, while living in a tent in winter.

There was a group of 4 in front of your boat having an overnight angle on Friday until Sat lunch. with stove, LED spotlights and lots of other kit. 

They too got caught out when the GB sculling teams came along training, the orange bubbling float that had been in between our boats for hours suddenly took off at speed towards Weedon.!!

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

It's a year round issue at Nether.

Every time I've been going down through it, no matter what time of year or time of day the lock keeper has always warned of their behaviour.

Due to their habit of shouting abuse and catapulting maggots I've learnt to barrel through at the highest pace I can achieve.

• Love 1

31 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Every time I've been going down through it, no matter what time of year or time of day the lock keeper has always warned of their behaviour.

Due to their habit of shouting abuse and catapulting maggots I've learnt to barrel through at the highest pace I can achieve.

Last time an idiot threw maggots at us was on the S&SY navigation.

I think they thought it would frighten or intimidate Mrs. HN who was on the tiller at the time. It didnt, as an ex nurse who occasionally had to deal with maggot infested wounds in patients she wasnt flustered, scooped up as many as she could and hurled them right back at the moron who threw them.

His face was a picture.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I have taken lines in many places down the Trent, the anglers seem to  think that we can see their lines and floats. The last time was  really funny. It was raining stair rods. The guy was in his tent entrance wringing his socks out having left a rack of 4 or more rods out cast into the middle of the river. We were punching up into the flow when he ran down the bank in his bare feet waving his arms like a windmill.

We had collected some  or all of his lines on the bow.

Didn't stop.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

I think you should be more tolerant. They are forced out of their homes for whatever reason ( probably because they generaly shout a lot), and are forced to try and catch virus ridden bottom feeders to eat, while living in a tent in winter.

HAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Ok - I’ll express my condolences succinctly when I get some batteries in the megaphone

3 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Yeah - I know. 
Which is why I am really racked off with it. Every blooming time there seems to be a web of near invisible lines stretching across the river.

I don’t mind them indulging in their mind-numbingly boring and potentially smelly hobby - but they never seem to consider that anyone else has a right to use the river

45 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have taken lines in many places down the Trent, the anglers seem to  think that we can see their lines and floats. The last time was  really funny. It was raining stair rods. The guy was in his tent entrance wringing his socks out having left a rack of 4 or more rods out cast into the middle of the river. We were punching up into the flow when he ran down the bank in his bare feet waving his arms like a windmill.

We had collected some  or all of his lines on the bow.

Didn't stop.

Long ago somebody on here told an amusing tale, I thought it might have been you.

An angler yelled at him "Didn't you see my 25ft, carbon fibre, £1,000 roach pole????!!!!", to which the boater replied without a hint of hesitation: "No. Didn't you see my 70ft, 25 tonne, £100,0000 narrow boat?"

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Long ago somebody on here told an amusing tale, I thought it might have been you.

An angler yelled at him "Didn't you see my 25ft, carbon fibre, £1,000 roach pole????!!!!", to which the boater replied without a hint of hesitation: "No. Didn't you see my 70ft, 25 tonne, £100,0000 narrow boat?"

No, not I but its a great line!  I have taken one out on the T&M some time ago, the silly bore thought I should pay for it until I reminded him that he needed a rod licence. Perhaps I did him a favour stopping him fishing?

14 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No, not I but its a great line!  I have taken one out on the T&M some time ago, the silly bore thought I should pay for it until I reminded him that he needed a rod licence. Perhaps I did him a favour stopping him fishing?

It IS a great line innit! Almost as good as the classic "Yes mate, half past two" when yelled at to slow down. 

9 hours ago, MtB said:

Secondly, when did you think the 'fishing season' starts and finishes? When I was a brat it there was a thing called the 'closed season', which ran (IIRC) from March to June each year to give the fish a chance to spawn and reproduce unmolested. I've a vague feeling this idea was changed or possibly abandoned a few decades ago and angling possibly became allowed all the time.

You are right. The closed season is middle of March to the middle of June and it still exists.

Just read another post about the closed season not applying to canals - did not know that so Googled it and they are right.

Every day a schoolday, although don't angle myself so it's a bit of a moot point

Bit late to the party I think ! 

Edited by Rick Savery

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Reminds me of the Trent fisherman who took it upon himself to start pointing and shouting "there's the middle" when I passed within a few feet of his unattended rod..

I directed him to the 12 foot tall sign directing all craft to keep right that he'd been fishing in front of all day...

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1