240v Fridge off seperate inverter

baldlimey

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, dmr said:

I wonder why "out of phase 120volts" has not been adopted for domestic wiring?? As long as we avoid appliances with earth-neutral bonding the change-over could be gradual.

where we moor in Belgium that is exactly how it is done

The most efficient 240V fridges (e.g. Liebherr) use a lot less power than the 12V ones, around 0.4kWh/day which is 17W average, but the best ones are not cheap (about £500).

The Multiplus (up to 2kVA, see attachment) has a zero-load power of about 10W, so it's not correct to say that this consumes more power than the fridge.

Datasheet-MultiPlus-500VA-2000VA-EN.pdf

On 06/11/2021 at 19:32, baldlimey said:

Has anyone tried running a 240v fridge off a seperate inverter. I'm wonderin if this would use less/more/the same power as a 12v fridge?

We have the regular inverter charging but I believe the resting power consumption for these are quite high so I was wondering about putting a small (500w?) inverter with a very efficent 240v fridge or would I be eating through more power than a 12v fridge?

Any advice gratefully received.

Pete

I have separate 240 volt Lleibherr fridge and freezers powered via a 2 kva Victron multiplus which also powers my TV etc. I can't imagine why anyone would consider installing a dedicated inverter for their fridge.

Keith

1 hour ago, IanD said:

The most efficient 240V fridges (e.g. Liebherr) use a lot less power than the 12V ones, around 0.4kWh/day which is 17W average, but the best ones are not cheap (about £500).

The Multiplus (up to 2kVA, see attachment) has a zero-load power of about 10W, so it's not correct to say that this consumes more power than the fridge.

Datasheet-MultiPlus-500VA-2000VA-EN.pdf 548.16 kB · 2 downloads

People keep winding that one out about the power they use, only true if you buy crap invertors, I have heard of some using 5 amps and dont even think about the old rotary converters such as the Rediline

54 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

I have separate 240 volt Lleibherr fridge and freezers powered via a 2 kva Victron multiplus which also powers my TV etc. I can't imagine why anyone would consider installing a dedicated inverter for their fridge.

Keith

Agreed, I plan to do the same. AEG larder fridge is 116kWh/year (13W), freezer is 220kWh/year (25W) so 38W total. A Multiplus up to 2000W idles at 10W.

I did consider having a smaller inverter like this for the fridge, but only because the main one will be a huge Multiplus II 48/10000 (electric boat) which idles at 39W...

Even so, by the time I add on other stuff consuming a few watts each all the time like Cerbo+display, cellular router, appliances, timers and so on, all these added together will consume more power than even the big MP II -- and that's before adding on other things that consume much more power when they're on. My conclusion was that there's no point having a second inverter.

For a 2000W MP this will definitely be the case even with just a fridge and a few other always-on things...

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose it depends if you consider Sterling as being 'crap'

They commonly use up to 4Ah just to 'run themselves'

Do you mean 4A?

Which is 50W -- so yes that's crap, compared to a 2kW Victron that takes 10W...

23 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Could be worse it could be sterilised milk with the crown cap :)

When I started off shore that was the closest we got to milk, coffee and tea was made with shaky shaky milk, Carnation in a tin, you had to shake it out

• Greenie 1

On 06/11/2021 at 23:23, Alan de Enfield said:

I believe that there is legislation that states that the minimum distance between two sockets on different phases / power sources must be a minimum of 2 metres apart to ensure that one person cannot touch both at the same time.

There used to be up to and including the 14th edition of the wiring regulations (see below), but it was dropped for the 15th and subsequent editions.

"A.20 All socket-outlets in any one room shall be connected to the same phase (or pole of a 3-wire system).

Exemption.- In non-domestic premises, if it is clearly impracticable to comply with Regulation A.20, more than one phase (or pole) of the supply may be utilized provided that all socket-outlets on one phase (or pole) are grouped together and are not intermingled with socket-outlets connected to a different phase (or pole); and provided that in no circumstances may a socket-outlet be installed at a distance less than 6 feet from any socket-outlet connected to a different phase (or pole"

Still good practice though, hence the reason why I often bring it to the attention of those on the forum who want to install two or more inverters.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

There used to be up to and including the 14th edition of the wiring regulations (see below), but it was dropped for the 15th and subsequent editions.

"A.20 All socket-outlets in any one room shall be connected to the same phase (or pole of a 3-wire system).

Exemption.- In non-domestic premises, if it is clearly impracticable to comply with Regulation A.20, more than one phase (or pole) of the supply may be utilized provided that all socket-outlets on one phase (or pole) are grouped together and are not intermingled with socket-outlets connected to a different phase (or pole); and provided that in no circumstances may a socket-outlet be installed at a distance less than 6 feet from any socket-outlet connected to a different phase (or pole"

Still good practice though, hence the reason why I often bring it to the attention of those on the forum who want to install two or more inverters.

Thank you, that sounds 'about right' as I was at night school doing my ONC and HNC electrical engineering in the early 70s.

Working all day designing & inventing electric cables, then all night finding out how to wire them up correctly.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you, that sounds 'about right' as I was at night school doing my ONC and HNC electrical engineering in the early 70s.

Working all day designing & inventing electric cables, then all night finding out how to wire them up correctly.

Not being so clever as you I just learned how to install them 

• Happy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re fridges, unless installed to minimise run time, ie not squashed under a worktop and no bilge vents, in summer they will wake you up at night, not ideal. 

I buy Cravendale milk or other filtered brands, will last 2-3 times as long as ordinary, buy two small bottles rather than one big one, once the seal is broken, the bugs get in. 

With juices and milk don't swig out of bottle, again you are adding aliens. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, sueb said:

My gas fridge was brilliant.

I think it is a shame they were effectively banned. But I guess at a time whern CO and LPG gas detectors were unobtainium or very expensive.

Perhaps this area ought to be revisited from a safety POV. In fact it might be safer for the fridge to actually work, rather than eating rotten food, and accept the consequences?  🙂

YMMV