Toilets!

Delibe

Featured Posts

Ask about "toilets" on a canal forum and you will never get a clear recommendation. There's only a few choices and you should go with which one suits you.

Cassette - free (usually) but needs emptying regularly, multiple cassettes help if you don't mind the emptying process - use a peg and dark glasses.

Pump-out - comes in a few flavours

Dump-through

Macerator 

Vacuum 

Generally needs emptying after 10 - 14 days expensive @ around £16 a go

I plumped for the vacuum, nice porcelain toilet, uses least amount of flushing water, plastic tank with inspection hatch and tank gauge, no smell until the carbon filter fails (after approx 6 months) doesn't require blue or other chemicals. I have my own 240volt pump-out system which isn't really any cheaper even over a few years but it's very fast and it suits me - sometimes annoys other boaters but there again so do lots of things. 

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, Midnight said:

I have my own 240volt pump-out system which isn't really any cheaper even over a few years but it's very fast and it suits me - sometimes annoys other boaters but there again so do lots of things. 

So where are you able to use your self pump out system? Every elsan point seems to have a sign somewhere that says something like "Not suitable for self pump out".

5 hours ago, Mike55 said:

So where are you able to use your self pump out system? Every elsan point seems to have a sign somewhere that says something like "Not suitable for self pump out".

Yes there's a few of those but plenty don't. If I'm in an unfamiliar area I don't wait until the tank is full.

• Greenie 1

On 07/11/2021 at 21:24, Tony1 said:

Two spare cassettes are already part of my plan, as explained above.

What I'm wondering is whether there are further tricks or tips that could be employed to make the cassettes last longer. 

I pee over the side!

(or into the sink and hence over the side)

1 hour ago, Simon (Hawksmoor) said:

I pee over the side!

(or into the sink and hence over the side)

Yes to this! A large plastic milk bottle, suitably trimmed, leaving the handle, makes a handy receptacle.

I got a couple of cassette tanks from a caravan scrap yard. Rubber gloves and bleach, job sorted.

22 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Yes to this! A large plastic milk bottle, suitably trimmed, leaving the handle, makes a handy receptacle.

I got a couple of cassette tanks from a caravan scrap yard. Rubber gloves and bleach, job sorted.

Mr Riley sir, that is a remarkable profile pic you have. Might one inquire whether the white-haired gentleman perched atop the unicycle is indeed your good self?

17 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Mr Riley sir, that is a remarkable profile pic you have. Might one inquire whether the white-haired gentleman perched atop the unicycle is indeed your good self?

It is. It's is easier to balance on than a little one v- a big stick being easier to balance than a little stick. Not doing much these days but can still do it. Once you've learned to fall off you can always fall off. 

Edited by Jim Riley
incompetent secretary