Weird alternator regulator problem

cheesegas

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

OK well in that case it sounds as though the batteries are knackered. Of course you will have the opposite problem if you switch to Lithiums, the alternator will be running flat out and getting hot. Hopefully the Adverc will protect it!

Yep! Should have mentioned that I'm aware the batteries are tired, apologies. Part of the reason of going for the Sterling is that is has alternator temp sensing, although if the Sterling trips on high temp the alternator will still be working fairly hard charging the lithiums through the internal regulator. Building it from Calb cells with a Rec BMS, which has a spare temp sensor which I'm going to configure to disable the B2B from the starter lead-acid if it gets too hot. But that's a discussion for a different topic...

I've got just over 1kw of solar, which even on this grey day moored between trees, it's still putting 9a into the batteries so that should keep this old bank happy until I finish the lithium.

Edited by cheesegas

47 minutes ago, cheesegas said:

Yep! Should have mentioned that I'm aware the batteries are tired, apologies. Part of the reason of going for the Sterling is that is has alternator temp sensing, although if the Sterling trips on high temp the alternator will still be working fairly hard charging the lithiums through the internal regulator. Building it from Calb cells with a Rec BMS, which has a spare temp sensor which I'm going to configure to disable the B2B from the starter lead-acid if it gets too hot. But that's a discussion for a different topic...

I've got just over 1kw of solar, which even on this grey day moored between trees, it's still putting 9a into the batteries so that should keep this old bank happy until I finish the lithium.

Will be interested to hear how you get on with the CALB cells and the REC BMS. In another thread, as you say!

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

I've just fitted an A127 marked 75A that I bought as a spare/standby from Ebay about five years ago. It does indeed produce 75A (actually 80A when cold).

MP.

I have checked on availability of 75A A127 alts and it seems that there are an uprated A127, by whom is not clear. I doubt that they are the original Lucas units.

38 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have checked on availability of 75A A127 alts and it seems that there are an uprated A127, by whom is not clear. I doubt that they are the original Lucas units.

Mine certainly doesn't say Lucas anywhere on it.

MP.