Kabola old Dutch not working properly

swift1894

Featured Posts

For some reason my old Dutch is not getting enough fuel through. Took the lid off and removed the float mechanism and plenty of fuel comes into the vapourising pot if the brass“valve” is at its highest position, so it’s not a fuel problem.

Cleaned the filter and the regulator scraped the inlet scraper. Do the regulators need adjusting after many years of use? I’ve never adjusted any of the sealed screws so I’m puzzled.

Edited by swift1894

2 hours ago, springy said:

Blockage/restriction in the feed pipe from the regulator to the burner pot seems most likely.

springy

My experience exactly.

I did everything else and had fuel coming through on highest setting but as soon as it was reassembled it burned with a smoky yellow flame, very sooty.

I eventually found the blockage in the feed pipe as the design of the soot scraper on the inlet causes crud to build up in the pipe.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, springy said:

Blockage/restriction in the feed pipe from the regulator to the burner pot seems most likely.

springy

Thanks. I’ll check that👍

5 minutes ago, MarkH2159 said:

My experience exactly.

I did everything else and had fuel coming through on highest setting but as soon as it was reassembled it burned with a smoky yellow flame, very sooty.

I eventually found the blockage in the feed pipe as the design of the soot scraper on the inlet causes crud to build up in the pipe.

Taking off the lid, presumably off the oil control valve, allows the metering column to pass more fuel than the set amounts. Remove the metering column and clean out the slot, inside and out. As with carburettors, do not use a rigid pin or wire to clean it. Break a matchstick to give a sharp point and push into the slot, both inside and outside the tube.

On 04/11/2021 at 21:44, Ex Brummie said:

Taking off the lid, presumably off the oil control valve, allows the metering column to pass more fuel than the set amounts. Remove the metering column and clean out the slot, inside and out. As with carburettors, do not use a rigid pin or wire to clean it. Break a matchstick to give a sharp point and push into the slot, both inside and outside the tube.

Will do. 👍

On 04/11/2021 at 16:20, springy said:

springy

I removed the scraper arm, put a plastic tube on the “valve” and blew down it. There was a small amount of gunge that came out when I blew which, as you thought, must have restricted the supply of fuel from the regulator to the burner pot. 
I also cleaned the slot in the valve with a cocktail stick as suggested by Ex Brumaire and the combination of the two has resulted in a nice blue flame. Job’s a good’n.

Cheers👍       

• Greenie 2