Diesel in sump BMC 1.8

regginald

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Before you tear down the injection pump, are you sure that it is not the lift pump diaphragm leaking fuel into the sump?

I was thinking the same thing as the OP has not confirmed the state of the lift pump. If in doubt replace, easy enough and cheap enough. Just make sure the arm/shoe fits on top of the cam lobe, and doesn't go under.

54 minutes ago, regginald said:

I have them both thanks so much!!! i will read through all of it a few times before doing anything.

thanks a million

Pleasure, I have no idea where I found them.

1 hour ago, Mikexx said:

I have put 2 of the files I have here.

https://we.tl/t-hWMS3qNN9c

I hope these help

Thank you very much. Unfortunately the overhaul manual only seems to be for the mechanical DPA pump but  I think much of it will be the same. I can't be held to this  but if I were to attempt a strip  down of a hydraulic pump, which I would not,  I would do as follows:

1. Remove the screws holding the governor assembly on to the pump body and lift clear, store submerged in clean diesel.

2. Remove the auto advance/retard plunger assembly and the operating "ball shaft" that is exposed when you get it off. I think the instructions in the manual will cover this.

Then proceed as per the manual.

There appears to be a small cover which i removed, inside is a circlip which seems to hold the shaft in place, lots of play in this shaft so hopefully i can get some circlip pliers tomorrow and withdraw the shaft put new seals on without dismantling anything inside. It would be great if the people who have this issue can just withdraw the input shaft and put new seals on without having to touch anything else. I will update later in case it helps someone else in the future.

if the circlip can be removed via the hole,its certainly going to simplify things.....Ive mucked about with DPA pumps since the 60s,and had a few fill the sump with diesel......my cure has been to carry a spare pump.......you should note ,that even with the shaft out,getting the two seals on the shaft without damage generally needs some kind of tool...........I might add.....never cut the old seals to remove them,as even a tiny nick in the seating surface on the shaft might cause early failure.

• Greenie 1

I just had a look to see if I had a DPA pump kit,but cant find it......anyhoo,you used to be able to buy the CAV kit for about $60,and it even had a nice swapcard with a pic of a 1930s truck,AEC Mandators,Leyland Lynx s,Thornycroft Sturdys,etc......the irony being none of these ever had a DPA pump,but the ever reliable CAV BPE ....Nevertheless,Ive seen some incredible roadside repairs done to DPAs from the days when truckdrivers were there own mechanics.

thanks john.k I got the circlip off ok using some nail scissors and withdrew the shaft. the 2 seals were hard and brittle. i pulled them off easy enough they just tore apart. The new seals were a little tricky to get on but i was very careful and they went on just fine. The shaft was very difficult to get back in with the new seals on as they were much larger. Also i can not rotate the shaft by hand and can only rotate it by using some grips on the end of it. It was jiggling about in there with the old seals so i am confident this was the problem. Not put it back on yet its a job for the morning but relativly easy job to do assuming it seals ok now.

Make sure there is some oil in the shaft sealing surface ,so it doesnt start dry ......sounds like you caught the problem in the nick of time.....if the engine fills right up with diesel ,all sorts of nasty things can happen .......a big tourist boat was burnt out here when a diesel flooded engine started a fire.

Edited by john.k

Just a quick update.

Pump seems to run fine now, only done about 6 hours but the oil level has not risen since.

Changing the seals is very easy with some 90 degree circlip pliers. The process on hydrolic pump is to remove the pump, take off the side cover for the fuel outlet/return, release the circlip and withdraw the shaft. inside the shaft is a small shaft 1 inch long, replace the seal on it and the 2 on the main shaft and refit. no need to remove any other parts on the pump. Hope this helps someone else as it really is simple, espacially if you are going to remove the pump anyway to have it overhauled or replaced.

• Greenie 1

33 minutes ago, regginald said:

Just a quick update.

Pump seems to run fine now, only done about 6 hours but the oil level has not risen since.

Changing the seals is very easy with some 90 degree circlip pliers. The process on hydrolic pump is to remove the pump, take off the side cover for the fuel outlet/return, release the circlip and withdraw the shaft. inside the shaft is a small shaft 1 inch long, replace the seal on it and the 2 on the main shaft and refit. no need to remove any other parts on the pump. Hope this helps someone else as it really is simple, espacially if you are going to remove the pump anyway to have it overhauled or replaced.

Many thanks for that. Until you mentioned the fuel outlet I had no idea what the side cover was.

if you recall,I said the mechanical elements of the hydraulic DPA pump were so simple anyone could take one apart and reassemble it without problems.....the whole thing was drowned out in silly waffle about clean rooms and donkeys,all sorts of other nonsense..........the most unusual repair Ive seen was on a hyd DPA from a 6/354 Perkins........the advance stud in the cam ring broke .....it was rebuilt with weld ,filed to shape ,and worked like that for a long time after.

• Greenie 1