Receiving mobile phone signal ,voice and data inside boat

Slim

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to boost the phone signal inside my boat to allow me to use my phone for voice and data.. If it is is can you please tell me, in very simple terms, how and with what equipment. To clarify:-

Recreational mooring within marina 

Steel NB with portholes

Marina broadband is capped so ok for some things

Existing external Wi Fi aerial and router fully functional. 

Huawei smartphone with no provision for external aerial but can upgrade 

New O2 sim with unlimited data (part of new Virgin home package or Bundle as they care to call it)

Fixing to porthole or suspending outside is not really an option.

Standing outside this morning at 8am in the frost was not funny.

Have tried search function without success.

Many thanks

Hi

I use the following and have very, very few problems:

Internet provider: 3

Mifi: Huawei E55573 with external aerial socket and connecting cable from Co-Star (www.co-star.co.uk) between the two. 

Mifi located in small but convenient porthole.

Job done. 

Hi

Mifi: Huawei E55573 with external aerial socket and connecting cable from Co-Star (www.co-star.co.uk) between the two. 

Job done. 

8 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Hi

Job done. 

Hi

Job done. 

As it happens I have an Huawei MiFi on the 3 network (no aerial connection) but what you suggest is not appropriate. The unlimited O2 sim is in my mobile and I want to receive both voice and data on my mobile phone whilst inside. What I would like is an external aerial, hard wired to something inside the boat that would transmit a signal to my mobile. I live in hope!   

Vodafone do something called a sure signal which sort of does what you want, but uses your broadband or equivalent to connect back to their network.  Not sure if 02 have an equivalent. 

Since you claim to have a functioning mifi the  simplest option would be to enable WiFi calling. Dont know if 02 have that as an option  but assume they would. 

Does your phone/provider support wifi calling?

The signal at my marina on "3" is fine with external 4g antenna and router but rubbish inside the boat. I just use wifi calling to make calls over my broadband. Works well and worth a try if supported.

Just seen that wont work for you :( maybe time to change tarrif so you have unlimited on the mifi.

https://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling

Edited by Loddon
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

As it happens I have an Huawei MiFi on the 3 network (no aerial connection) but what you suggest is not appropriate. The unlimited O2 sim is in my mobile and I want to receive both voice and data on my mobile phone whilst inside. What I would like is an external aerial, hard wired to something inside the boat that would transmit a signal to my mobile. I live in hope!   

Well, I'm sorry but that's what I have and that's what works.

I have phone on 3 too and the aerial is magnetic and 3inches high.

You might have to search ebay for an E55573. 

This setup runs my laptop and I make phone calls through WiFi and all inside with the hatches closed. The ariel feed is under a side hatch but a mushroom ventilator would do just as well.

1 hour ago, JamesWoolcock said:

James, I have a similar requirement to OP. I have googled but only found reference to a Huawei E5573. Is that what you mean?

Is it rechargeable-battery operated? I have seen a Huawei E5783B-230 on Amazon, which is a travel W0Fi hotspot, not sure if an external aerial can be connected to this - suspect not.

Ta

11 minutes ago, Rick Savery said:

James, I have a similar requirement to OP. I have googled but only found reference to a Huawei E5573. Is that what you mean?

Is it rechargeable-battery operated? I have seen a Huawei E5783B-230 on Amazon, which is a travel W0Fi hotspot, not sure if an external aerial can be connected to this - suspect not.

Ta

Sorry typo, yes

It has, or at least mine has a small flap on the side with not one, but two (!) aerial sockets. That is what is needed to get the signal into your boat using an aerial and cable.

A d yes it's 12v rechargeable. 

Thanks James. I assume the SIM card goes into this and the phone becomes redundant as a hotspot?

I like Loddon's solution too, but it may be too expensive fr me.

Wouldn't it be perfect if somehow one could attach an aerial direct to the phone so that the phone could be used as the mobile hotspot - only one SIM card needed then

Thanks again

15 hours ago, Slim said:

There is no legal way in the UK that you can boost, ie retransmit, the mobile phone signal on a boat.  The solution to use is a 4G router with and external aerial, and for the phone connect that to the routers wifi and the phone will use the wifi to supplement the phone signal.  It would mean you will want an unlimited sim in the router, perhaps as well as one in your phone, but that is only around £20 a month.

• Greenie 1

Doesn't that mean that you then have to have two SIM cards, one for the phone and one for the router for those times when you are off the boat and want to use the phone?

I suppose a cheap plan with unlimited calls for the phone and a larger (unlimited?) amount of data for the router. Bit more than £20 for the two, but I suppose not much.

Can you get copies of a SIM so essentially the same one is in both?

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

Doesn't that mean that you then have to have two SIM cards, one for the phone and one for the router for those times when you are off the boat and want to use the phone?

I suppose a cheap plan with unlimited calls for the phone and a larger (unlimited?) amount of data for the router. Bit more than £20 for the two, but I suppose not much.

Yes, you will need 2 sim cards.  Unlimited text/calls/data should be available for around £20.  You can use reseller suppliers like Smarty where you have no long term contract so only have the router sim active when you are using the boat, eg. if you don't use the boat over the winter then you don't need to pay for it then.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Rick Savery said:

My 4g unlimited internet at home  from 3 is £15 

My unlimited calls/txt with 4gb data from Smarty is £6 so only £21 

Internet on the boat is basically free for unlimited as I have done a dozen recommendations, so I get a free month anytime someone signs up.

To get s free month on Smarty and give me a free month the link is below.

Smarty is part of 3.

https://i.smarty.co.uk/juliant-139

😉

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions.  I spoke with Solwise Ltd who supplied my Wi Fi router set up and they confirmed what John6767 said regarding legality. I did track down several 'illegal' setups via Google and found one that looks like it would cost about £150 - £175. How effective it would be is another thing. Having decided to wait until I upgrade my phone I tried a previously unsuccessful trick of placing phone in porthole and front windows. Amazingly, sticking with a length of gaffa tape to a front window worked and I'm posting this via it. Also watched a short snippet of BBC i player. 😁😁 (Mr Smelly please note). Always thought that gaffa tape was impressive !

Once again, thanks everyone.

I already have my phone's SIM with Smarty Loddon (£10 for 30Gb data), but if I implement the two SIM card idea, then i will happily go via your link.

The £6 deal sounds perfect for the phone, just have to sort out a large / unlimited one for a potential router - thanks for the info john6767

Edited by Rick Savery

• 2 months later...

I’m on 3 network had a problem most of the time we’ll last 3 years but under Mobil date I turn my phone onto 3G only I have no problem now with the internet now I can make phone calls most of the time I think 3/4 G are looking for best signal 

but remember to switch back to 4G when you go out 

1 hour ago, Russ9294 said:

I’m on 3 network had a problem most of the time we’ll last 3 years but under Mobil date I turn my phone onto 3G only I have no problem now with the internet now I can make phone calls most of the time I think 3/4 G are looking for best signal 

but remember to switch back to 4G when you go out 

When you go out? 

Why?