Shower pump replacement.

WJM

Featured Posts

My shower pump has failed and needs replacing. Centrifugal Impellor type pumps seem to be the favoured type of pump for moving waste water overboard. But this type seem to be much more expensive than the Diaphragm type pumps used in systems like boat central heating. Is there any compelling reason why a centrifugal pump must be used for shower water? Or would a disphragm pump work just as well?

• Unimpressed 1

I think you have that completely back to front. Central heating pumps tend to be centrifugal and shower pump come in singe diaphragm, multi-diaphragm and centrifugal in a sump box.

Don't bother with those with a sump box unless you like smelly wet bilges, don't bother with a multi-diaphragm pump unless you like a short life and a lot of stripping & cleaning. Buy a Whale Gulper and enjoy a long trouble free life.

• Greenie 4

Thanks Tony, I may have the terminology wrong. The failed pump has one of those star shaped rubber wheels that spins inside a circular void. A Whale Gulper costs around £100 but there other (similar on paper) pumps that cost much less, an example is linked below. Would something like this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushless-Water-Pump-800L-H-5M-DC-12V-24V-Solar-Brushless-Motor-Water-CircuH164-/203540022080?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by WJM

1 hour ago, WJM said:

Thanks Tony, I may have the terminology wrong. The failed pump has one of those star shaped rubber wheels that spins inside a circular void. A Whale Gulper costs around £100 but there other (similar on paper) pumps that cost much less, an example is linked below. Would something like this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushless-Water-Pump-800L-H-5M-DC-12V-24V-Solar-Brushless-Motor-Water-CircuH164-/203540022080?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Right, I think that you are talking about a Jabsco Water Puppy style pump and if it is just a worn rubber impeller new ones should be readily available form most chandlers. It is self priming type of pump so is often sited above the shower tray level. If this is the case the one you link to will not work because it is a centrifugal pump and they will not self prime. The centrifugal impeller is also likely to clog with hair etc. where as the Jabsco type will normally deal with it.

If the pump is below the bottom of the shower tray thne the central heating will probably self prime, but as I say, it is likely to clog frequently.

I expect that you have a push button switch for your pump and if so one would normally, for convenience, change it for an ordinary on-off switch because the central heating pump and the diaphragm pumps will run dry for a fair time without damage.

As far as I am aware there is only one other pump like the Gulper and I am sure it will be a similar price. I have just Googled Water Puppy and they look like £150.

If the impeller in your pump and cover gasket is OK but the motor will not run I would have it apart. If it was not mounted motor pointing up it may have leaked onto the bearings so stripping the motor might allow you to free the bearings or change the brushes if they are worn.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you confusing shower and heating, or am I misunderstanding ?

No, the OP's link went to one of the cheap solar central heating pumps. Now edited to insert two missed letters.

The OP seems to be looking for a cheap fix.

Hi Tony, thanks again for your input. 

The failed pump was an impeller type (star shaped spinning wheel) located lower than the base of the shower tray. My core question is, would a pump like the one I linked to above work in this application? (Emptying shower water)  It’s the difference between £20 and £100! 

You said this: "The failed pump has one of those star shaped rubber wheels that spins inside a circular void" and the only pump I know that has a rubber impeller is the Jabsco type, although the chamber it runs in not exactly circular. I have never seen a centrifugal pump that uses a rubber impeller. All the centrifugal pumps I have seen use a metal or hard plastic impeller. Rubber makes no sense because it's vanes would tend to flex where as a centrifugal pump needs them to be rigid to spin the water.

I have already answered your question thus: If the pump is below the bottom of the shower tray then the central heating will probably self prime, but as I say, it is likely to clog frequently.

I can not be any more positive  any more than that unless I can properly identify your existing pump. A photo may help, especially if it shows this rubber impeller.

I have a Jabsco type which is now over 30 yrs old, and has gone through a number of service kits in its life ( and last year a skim of the bronze pump chamber end suurfaces to remove wear grooving) I would happily buy a replacement at £150 for the peace of mind. These will self prime to between 1 and 2 metres (which means if it fails you don't need to manually bail out the shower tray before removing it from the drain pipework to fix it ! ). If you expect your pump to deal with the crud, hair, garbage and grit that you get from a shower, and last for longer than 5 showers you will need to spend decent money on it and get one designed for the job, whatever the manufacturer.

• Greenie 1

Perhaps it is symptomatic of our complex time.

Essentially, I was just asking, would this pump empty a shower? Reliably?

Would this £22 pump empty a shower tray, if situated lower? 

I thought it was a simple question. 

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, WJM said:

image.jpeg

Simple answer: it would empty a shower tray a few times, then it would clog up. Get a whale gulper.

I think the answers are well set out above. Would it work with it mounted below a shower tray - Yes. Will it do it reliably - Unlikely (as it will clog with hair).

So unfortunately it is a case of spend £20 and take a risk - it might be ok (especially if you are not long haired, only use it irregularly etc) or spend £150 for a more certain solution. The decision is yours whether you want to take the risk.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

As always the devil is on the detail that is not provided. I will try to make it simple for you.

If the pump is above shower water level then no - the link tells you that it won't self prime.

If the pump is below shower water level and piped so it automatically fills with water then it will self prime but:

The add says that it can pump up to  5m head,  but the output reduces as the head increases. So will the output be enough to keep pace with the water from the shower head.

The add says in Chingleish that it must not run dry so it will need  a push button switch.

I am sure from the image that it is centrifugal and from experience it stands a very good chance of blocking with hair etc.

That is the information you need to decide if it is worth a £22 punt to see if it works fro you or if replacing or mending the existing pump might be a better way overall.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

I was just asking, would this pump empty a shower?

Yes, a few times.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

Reliably?

No. It will clog up with hair and soap and general shower scum pretty quickly.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

Pointless, seeing the answer to the second question.

7 hours ago, WJM said:

Questions only seem simple if you don't realise the answers are going to be complicated!

This is going to be one of those situations where the cheapest solution is no solution at all.

A cheaper solution would be a hand operated pump. For example a Whale Gusher. This uses the same pump and valve technology as the Whale Gulper electric pumps, so will cope with hair/grease from a shower. We have one in the cave rescue team I'm a member of for clearing small flooded sections of cave, which could be a sort of low viscosity liquid mud sometimes! A cheaper one still, comparable to the electric pump you were looking at is this.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

I'm using a hand pump for the sink on one of the boats. Whale diaphragm pump more or less the same as the item in the link above. Saves cutting another skin fitting (galley has been moved). 

I think it would work on a shower but you would have to operate it frequently and depends how deep the shower tray was/how vigorous a shower you like to have. 

Having had an electric whale gulper for many years emptying shower and bath with lots of use by family members I can confirm that whale gulpers are incredibly effective and the right tool for the job. 

Edited by magnetman

The hand operated ones do work, we had one, never gave any problems not even sure it was a Whale, plenty of cheaper ones on ebay.

Might be an idea to get a one way valve if it is higher than the tray to stop it running back when you finish pumping.

Of course most users prefer the convenience of a Gulper which is what we now have.

22 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As always the devil is on the detail that is not provided. I will try to make it simple for you.

If the pump is above shower water level then no - the link tells you that it won't self prime.

If the pump is below shower water level and piped so it automatically fills with water then it will self prime but:

The add says that it can pump up to  5m head,  but the output reduces as the head increases. So will the output be enough to keep pace with the water from the shower head.

The add says in Chingleish that it must not run dry so it will need  a push button switch.

I am sure from the image that it is centrifugal and from experience it stands a very good chance of blocking with hair etc.

That is the information you need to decide if it is worth a £22 punt to see if it works fro you or if replacing or mending the existing pump might be a better way overall.

Don't forget to factor in the cost and inconvenience of replacing the cheap unit when it fails. IMO it's generally better to use a product that's designed to do the job rather than hoping that something designed for a different purpose will work. 

• 2 weeks later...