Trent transit in Autumn

Gellscom

Featured Posts

35 minutes ago, pearley said:

Just remember that all the locks are now on self operation but I think you can leave the bottom gates open to make things easier. 

But not Newark Town Lock.

I think the new pedestals refuse to return keys until everything is closed up.

MP.

Hi.

Made it to Gunthorpe today so on track to get through nether lock tomorrow or Sunday. Been doing a bit of homework based on the advice from here and would like some second opinions. The sketch below Is based on Friday the 12th,  heading for neaps however assuming we set of from Cromwell after the flow has turned it only gives me 3 hours to torksey before dark where we will over night first. Couple of questions:

Do my calculation look OK

Is three hours enough for 16 miles we don’t seem to be moving as fast as you guys predict however there could be a degree of faffing on my part also no locks to contend with on this bit. Obviously we have the ebb current to assist too.

would love to hear your thoughts

CA5E9E3E-40A4-499A-BB80-5856EC946C87.png

So are the tides on the day you are planning, earlier? Anyway, you don’t HAVE to wait until high water at Cromwell, depending on the height of the tides there may not be much upstream until quite a few miles below Cromwell, especially if there is quite a lot of fresh on the river. You can set off earlier and just punch the current, which will probably be very little, until the tide turns. You would probably still be doing at least 3mph.

And just to say that the entrance to Torksey is wide and easy, not that problematical in the dark.

Edited by nicknorman

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

And just to say that the entrance to Torksey is wide and easy, not that problematical in the dark.

We didnt mind leaving it in the dark, I'm not sure I would like to try to find it in the dark if I had never been down that way before.

Hi

Hoping to come off at West Stockwith after Torksey for a couple of days, I have some business and is close to our home in Chesterfield then a final leg up to Keadby. All depends on the timing really and when we can get going, if we leave Cromwell early next week we may be able to do the three legs consecutively if there are delays we may need to split  them to accommodate commitments. Definitely not keen on getting caught in the dark, I can’t see in the daylight 😂😂

Been good so far though when we were stuck at Shardlow I felt we would miss the nether lock closure for sure. Carol approves of the push button locks👍

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

.....whats the plan for the Torksey to Keadby leg?

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We didnt mind leaving it in the dark, ...

Nov 12th looks a decent compromise. Sunrise ~ 0720 HWHull ~ 1240  Neaps at 6m. Leave Torksey as soon as there is enough light to see where the river goes, say 0650, keep out of the main stream (hug the sides) after meeting incoming tide, and plan to be at Keadby noon or early afternoon on a rising tide. 7mph over-the-ground would work well. 5mph over-the ground would probably suggest an interim hop to West Stockwith.  ...

4 minutes ago, Gellscom said:

Hoping to come off at West Stockwith after Torksey for a couple of days,...

... which is already on the plan, then  🙂 It is an awkward turn-in. On the ebb last time we did this, had to wait for another boat to lock through, so turned facing the tide and waited midriver, then blasted in as best we could; misjudged the flow and thumped the downstream lockside. Not platebreakingly hard, but a jolt.  Should mention, I suppose, that ABP mandate VHF (below Gainsborough). Nobody actually checks, but best not to sink... 🙂

L1570_20090903_0225s.jpg

spacer.png

Hi 

Thanks all good info!

Made it to Cromwell today, tied up on the visitor pontoon so got topside of the upcoming closure. Had a chat with the lock keeper we go on Monday to Torksey then Tuesday to West Stockwith where we will hold until I have completed my commitments then hopefully go to Kedby on the 19th conditions permitting.

Been a great trip up to now looking forward to Sunday off then back at it. Still hoping to be at Bluewater Marina later that week, and I have collated a few jobs on the boat that need to be done.

Smokelss fuel is the next challenge on our last bag tomorrow may have to despatch the son to meet us with some 😀

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

12 hours ago, Gellscom said:

then Tuesday to West Stockwith where we will hold until I have completed my commitments

Excellent progress so far.

Misterton is just over a mile up the canal from W Stockwith and has shops for food and such like. Either a walk up the tow path, or a boat trip. There are two locks in Misterton. To turn round and come back, there is a winding hole about a mile and a half beyond the village. I'm assuming no stoppages, as I've not checked. Be a shame not to see a little of the Chesterfield canal while you're there and if you have the time among your other commitments.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Hi All

Good couple of days up the tidal Trent, all tucked up in West stockwith tonight. No problems, was a great trip with beautiful scenes along the way. Not the most elegant of entries to West Stockwith lock just messed it up on the final turn but we’re in 😀😀

• Happy 2

8 minutes ago, Gellscom said:

Hi All

Good couple of days up the tidal Trent, all tucked up in West stockwith tonight. No problems, was a great trip with beautiful scenes along the way. Not the most elegant of entries to West Stockwith lock just messed it up on the final turn but we’re in 😀😀

Well done! Nearly everyone hits the wall the first time. Some of us never learn to do it right.

• Happy 2

Hi

Currently at West Stockwith, all went well thus far. We are booked into leave for Keadby on 9:00 am Sunday once I have completed some personal business at home. Hoping to make it through the Vazon rail bridge on the 23rd then onto Blue Water the next day. Been a great trip, identified a few repairs/alterations we want to compete then tick off some more canals 👍😀

Gerry/Carol

Edited by Gellscom

31 minutes ago, Gellscom said:

Hi All

Great run up the Trent to Keadby it was a bit windy and rough in places but sun was out all the way. Clipped the wall again getting into the lock,  but all I n all not too bad. Had a leisurely two day trot up to Blue Water Marina (the Vazon rail bridge is now fixed and available anytime) we are now refuelled and tucked up on our berth.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom, it was a great help and for our first voyage we could not be happier!

Time to do some tinkering on the boat to make her ours then onto new canals and more exploration👍😀 

Well done.

Some people chicken out and never do that trip :cheers:

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Gellscom said:

Great run up the Trent to Keadby it was a bit windy and rough in places but sun was out all the way.

I have known it to be windy and rough , an freezing cold from a North wind , in the month of June. 

So well done for making this trip in November.👍

• Greenie 1