comfy sofa

dreadnought

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi guy,we are looking to buy a new sofa for the nb but are struggling to find one that is comfortable,has anyone got any recommendations for us,many thanks 

I too have been looking a long time for a comfy sofa. My experience so far is you HAVE to try sitting on them. Comfy-looking sofas often simply aren't. 

Also, the big name sofa sellers (DFS et al) seem to have truly massive prices and truly massive sofas totally unsuitable for boats. Ikea is  probably the best bet with several models less than 1m in projection, all at sensible prices, and all AFAICS supplied at kits so they can be easily taken through the boat doors.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi guy,we are looking to buy a new sofa for the nb but are struggling to find one that is comfortable,has anyone got any recommendations for us,many thanks 

https://www.sofabedbarn.co.uk/

I visited the factory and that convinced me to buy one. They guarantee to get it on your boat!

I've had it a few years, am sitting on it now, and have slept on it many times. If I were buying again, I would buy from them again.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

I visited the factory and that convinced me to buy one. They guarantee to get it on your boat!

I've had it a few years, am sitting on it now, and have slept on it many times. If I were buying again, I would buy from them again.

Another vote for sofa barn, I prefer the "Luxury memory foam" option - its £40 more but very, very comfy. Due to be delivered soon too :)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've heard that DFS occasionally have a sale on. 😀

That's how they get their prices down to only "truly massive".

Have a look on their website if you want to see some seriously, insanely high sofa prices! 

We bought a sofa be from Sofa Bed Barn a few years ago after visiting their stand at Crick. It comes in CKD kit form and we paid a little extra for the delivery man to assemble it.. The sofa bed is quite heavy but of excellent quality and their service was very good too. It's not the most comfortable sofa as it's it is cushioned a bit too stiffly for us, but I think that's more down to us choosing the wrong one because there were 'softer' alternatives. 

If you want quality and something which will last, then I recommend them.

5 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Another vote for sofa bed barn! We've recently bought one of their corner sofas after being so impressed with how comfy our neighbours was. 

Edited by Tom and Bex

Hi, we looked at a few quite expensive options but ended up buying a two seater from IKEA. Think it’s called the Ektorp or similar. It’s a generous size two seater, plenty of room for two plus the dog, plus it’s not too deep for a narrow boat width. Think it only cost about £200. It’s delivered in three pieces, the base and back plus the two arms and they bolt together, so easy to get onboard. You buy the colour cover in the colour you want that fits over it. For such a cheap sofa we found it to be really comfortable. Had it for about a year and still happy with it.

On 31/10/2021 at 10:51, Richard10002 said:

I replaced a couple of captain's chairs with a Sofabed Barn sofa last year. Excellent service and the sofa is comfortable as a sofa or as a bed.

On 01/11/2021 at 15:16, MichaelG said:

Hi, we looked at a few quite expensive options but ended up buying a two seater from IKEA. Think it’s called the Ektorp or similar. It’s a generous size two seater, plenty of room for two plus the dog, plus it’s not too deep for a narrow boat width. Think it only cost about £200. It’s delivered in three pieces, the base and back plus the two arms and they bolt together, so easy to get onboard. You buy the colour cover in the colour you want that fits over it. For such a cheap sofa we found it to be really comfortable. Had it for about a year and still happy with it.

We have Ektorps at home and love them. Even the massive chaise longue version came in a kit form - not sure it would fit on a narrowboat though the two seater deffo would