Oil pump

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi just a quick question, I have an Isuzu 42 engine, but when changing oil, I have to fit a piece of hose pipe to the pump extractor, so my question is, what is the name of that little bent tube on top of pump, as mine is not there and would make the job easier, I presume it just screws on.

Thanks.

CAF4D48D-71E3-4178-8496-47D04A9B5D84.jpeg

9CD2C070-52F2-41B8-A59B-95F5B741A4D7.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Timx said:

Hi just a quick question, I have an Isuzu 42 engine, but when changing oil, I have to fit a piece of hose pipe to the pump extractor, so my question is, what is the name of that little bent tube on top of pump, as mine is not there and would make the job easier, I presume it just screws on.

Thanks.

9CD2C070-52F2-41B8-A59B-95F5B741A4D7.jpeg

I doubt you will buy one, I can't even find that pump for sale now

• Love 1

No that’s not my engine, I just saw it on another place, and it reminded me I need that bit, at the moment a little plug screws in there, but I know that bent bit should be there, or available, as I have seen it fitted on the same engine, and makes sense.

9 hours ago, Timx said:

When I bought the boat, the pump was knackered he had been using a paella pump to extract the oil, so I bought a new pump off ASAP, so I will have a look for hose tail , and or spigot.

I would phone ASAP as it sounds as if yours is broken and missing a part

On 30/10/2021 at 23:29, Timx said:

No that’s not my engine, I just saw it on another place, and it reminded me I need that bit, at the moment a little plug screws in there, but I know that bent bit should be there, or available, as I have seen it fitted on the same engine, and makes sense.

If you have a plug that screws in where the spout should be, then it is fairly straightforward to measure the diameter and pitch of the thread on the plug to work out what type of pipe fitting would screw in there.

Looking at the post above David M's it appears to be  3/8 BSP.  A straight 3/8 BSP male to 3/8 or 10 mm copper  with a bit of copper pipe, inserted in the olive, tightened and then bent over,  should do the job. 

You will need some oil proof sealant for the thread end.  Hylomar, Heldite or what have you will do as there is no pressure and the oil is only there intermittently.  Even so, I would not use PTFE tape as it tends to break down in oil and diesel.

N

8 hours ago, David Mack said:

If you have a plug that screws in where the spout should be, then it is fairly straightforward to measure the diameter and pitch of the thread on the plug to work out what type of pipe fitting would screw in there.

Or, just slide a short length of hosepipe over it, there is vitually no pressure so it shouldn't blow-off but you could always add a jubilee clip is you wanted.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or, just slide a short length of hosepipe over it, there is vitually no pressure so it shouldn't blow-off but you could always add a jubilee clip is you wanted.

Which is what I do on mine even with the spout so that the empty can stands on the floor with the end oft he hose just inside the neck