Multiplus plug problem

starman

Featured Posts

What am I doing wrong? My Multiplus 1600 comes with tiny AC input and output plugs. After much fiddling I’ve got the wires into the terminals but the cable is way too fat to close up the plug. 
Any suggestions??

E2231DD7-41A0-4816-A1CA-21C569B1DB3A.jpeg

I’ve got a bag of crimped ferrules; if I crimp them on the end of the inners I can’t manipulate them into the terminals with the tiny length of inner I can use before reaching the outer’s clamp. 

I don’t see why crimps would make it easier anyway - it’s the thickness of the cable in relation to the plug that’s the issue - I can’t pull the two Halves together

Looks like it's 2,5 cable and the plug is designed for 1.5. If it were me I would CAREFULLY shave the outer sheath with a SHARP stanley blade. You would only need to do two sides. Maybe a little trial and error and take care not to nick the inner insulation. 

Wait for the brickbats

Sorry about the caps but I couldn't get the bold button to work.

4 minutes ago, Slim said:

Looks like it's 2,5 cable and the plug is designed for 1.5. If it were me I would CAREFULLY shave the outer sheath with a SHARP stanley blade. You would only need to do two sides. Maybe a little trial and error and take care not to nick the inner insulation. 

Wait for the brickbats

Sorry about the caps but I couldn't get the bold button to work.

I would go along with that or use a1.5mm flex

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

Wait for the brickbats

Or file the cablegrip in the plug itself - carefully.

25 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Depends on the rest of the electrical system though.  The Multiplus 1600 will pass through up to 16A from shoreline (I think!) so it is getting a bit much for 1.5 sq mm flex.

So why have they only made the connection suitable for 1.5mm.?

From the manua

image.png.cf3292464a7bbb10d6f2c304b7956bac.png

Edited by ditchcrawler

I stopped, had a cup of tea and thought ‘ heat shrink’ - and if our Tony suggests it too then it must be ok. 
There have been too many niggling problems with this job so that one really irritated. Grrh. 

42 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Get some adhesive heat shrink so you can cut back more of the outer sheath and the sleeve it with the heat shrink. If that leaves the cable too thin just add another layer of heat shrink.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

So why have they only made the connection suitable for 1.5mm.?

Exactly! 

37 minutes ago, Slim said:

This is what I did on the plugs and sockets for my Easyplus to fit 2.5mm^2 arctic cable. Not impressed with Victron's design choice to use these things.

Once installed, the hang out of the bottom of the combi, with the weight of the cable trying to pull them out. There is no latch to hold them in place. You need to ensure that the cable is supported to take its weight off the plugs.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies