12v TV

Dignity

Featured Posts

You should have a fuse to protect the wiring anyway. Fag lighter sockets are a bit rubbish. Unreliable and prone to overheating when a large current is put through them. Personally, I'd use a better plug socket combination for the TV, so it can still be moved easily for dusting etc.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Dignity said:

Hello all, putting a 12v TV in. Im planning to wire it in to a cigarette lighter socket is this the best option, or do I wire it in direct with a fuse to the loom. 

If the TV comes with a cigarette lighter plug there is a very good chance the plug contains a fuse but  even if not there is no reason not to use the socket apart form they tend to be crap quality and can easily cause the plug to overheat, soften, and distort.

There are lots of crap quality 12v cigarette lighter sockets and plugs and there are better quality ones.

They are in effect a universal standard for  12v DC appliances, such as USB chargers, USB speakers, handheld VHF radio chargers. The plugs generally have inbuilt fuse carriers.

12v TV are low current devices, so should not stress even poor quality plugs and sockets, certainly low current compared to the cigarette lighters that used to inhabit the sockets on every car. 

1 hour ago, DandV said:

12v TV are low current devices, so should not stress even poor quality plugs and sockets, certainly low current compared to the cigarette lighters that used to inhabit the sockets on every car. 

The difference being that a car fag lighter, back when people smoked in cars, would only be on for times measured in seconds, not the hours that other gadgets can be there. Also, car makers are going to insist on a quality and testing of a socket that isn't going to happen for a lot of the really cheap stuff you see for sale on EBay and the like.

Jen

27 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I think a 12 volt regulator is going to be needed unless you're never going to have the TV on when the engine is running - unless the TV can take up to 14V on its 12 volt input.

If its a proper 12 volt tv made for caravans/ motor homes etc it should be fine, if its a mains one with a 12 volt block in the lead then yes.

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If its a proper 12 volt tv made for caravans/ motor homes etc it should be fine, if its a mains one with a 12 volt block in the lead then yes.

Yes, the 12v TV I bought about ten years ago from Richer Sounds stated "Suitable for boats and motor homes" in the specification. We ran it for years with no problems. but I did run an independant fused power supply to a socket on the wall, rather than share the supply with the fridge.

Its a proper 12v tv suitable for variable voltages. I've wired a cigarette lighter socket into the old defunct pump out toilet circuit and added a switch so its not permently live. Thanks for all the replies. Its for when we are out cruising as the large 240v TV in the lounge sucks the life out of the batteries.

• 9 months later...
7 hours ago, LakinZ said:

This 12-volt TV SuperSonic is a lightweight TV with a great picture. I have it plugged into an external speaker so the sound is great, too. Even without that, the sound isn't too bad. I found out you need to select "source" and then "DVD" in order for the DVD player to accept the disc you insert. It worked great and uses very little power. I have an RV and it's nice to not have to start up the generator to watch TV.

Funny your boat has the same name as mine but you are in a RV. I have suggested the mod's may like to look at it

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Funny your boat has the same name as mine but you are in a RV. I have suggested the mod's may like to look at it

To be fair there are a few about, i’ve seen at least three now and it’s great to see the confusion on their face when you shout “Hello Brian” just in case (especially if the steerer is female :D).

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

To be fair there are a few about, i’ve seen at least three now and it’s great to see the confusion on their face when you shout “Hello Brian” just in case (especially if the steerer is female :D).

But the one she is on has wheels

On 30/10/2021 at 15:22, Ianws said:

These power adaptors for Cello 12v TVs are regulated and ok for 12-30v.

https://celloelectronics.com/product/12-volt-power-adapter-vehicle-style/

Had a Cello 12v TV on my last boat, it was fine with the engine running.

They are quite cheap and the picture quality is accepable, but the sound is very "tinny"

You can buy an auxilliary speaker to improve the sound quality.