Training

Catherine Howe

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

6 ft 9, a few boats are 7ft and would jam in a tight lock. So never buy one!

Blown that one then, ours is 6 foot 11 and a half. I think the HNC is the only one we can't do but might still give it a try one day.  Almost all modern boats are built to 6 foot 10.

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

You could just learn how to handle a narrowboat using this narrowboat simulator app on your phone. The added advantage is that it saves on the cost of buying or hiring a boat, licence & mooring fees and all other associated boating costs. 🤣

Sorry I don't know how to post links for apps.

Screenshot_2022-05-16-12-45-52-064_org.godotengine.narrowboatsimulator.jpg

Narrowboat Simulator (google.com)

https://sites.google.com/view/narrowboat-simulator/downloads

It is quite good actually, one can even "cill" a boat!

Boat cilled.JPG

Edited by Ray T

It would be a shame if Willow Wren's training videos disappear (which is indicated might happen when their website expires, which looks to be in about 6 months).

Hopefully they will sell the business and the new owner will keep them available. If not it would be good if it could be arranged for someone else to host them.

14 hours ago, robtheplod said:

My wife would like to go on a course to gain experience with steering/handling of the boat - she has not steered at all currently but would like to help out when we go cruising, plus I'd like to then be able to do locks as i feel so guilty stood there watching her struggle......

Willow Wren seem to have stopped training so looking for alternatives where people would recommend them?  dont need the ones where it goes into engine maintenance etc, just so she can handle the boat..... any suggestions?  thanks!!!

This reminded me of the time we encountered our fist proper lock as just 'two up' on a hire boat holiday.

Mrs HN pretty well froze on the walkway after being initially OK doing the lock. She came back to the boat very clear she wasnt OK doing the locks.

Well I said we have two choices you either get to know how to steer the boat or we have to go home.

She opted for number one and thereafter we never did it any other way all around the leicester ring and for all the years we owned our own boat after that. She became very deft at it in close quarters too. Probably better than me.

Screenshot_20220516-215745_Photos.jpg

Edited by The Happy Nomad

34 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It would be a shame if Willow Wren's training videos disappear (which is indicated might happen when their website expires, which looks to be in about 6 months).

Hopefully they will sell the business and the new owner will keep them available. If not it would be good if it could be arranged for someone else to host them.

I'm no expert so could be wrong but I think there's no cost to hosting videos on YouTube, which is where their video tutorials are. So, hopefully, they can just stay there. 

18 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I'm no expert so could be wrong but I think there's no cost to hosting videos on YouTube, which is where their video tutorials are. So, hopefully, they can just stay there. 

Yes, as far as I’m aware youtube videos stay there unless the channel owner deletes them. 

9 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

This reminded me of the time we encountered our fist proper lock as just 'two up' on a hire boat holiday.

Mrs HN pretty well froze on the walkway after being initially OK doing the lock. She came back to the boat very clear she wasnt OK doing the locks.

Well I said we have two choices you either get to know how to steer the boat or we have to go home.

She opted for number one and thereafter we never did it any other way all around the leicester ring and for all the years we owned our own boat after that. She became very deft at it in close quarters too. Probably better than me.

Screenshot_20220516-215745_Photos.jpg

Quite a similar story with us except there was never a possibility my wife would be capable of doing locks so at first I was effectively almost single-handing the locks. 

Gradually she took over steering in and out, confidence and skill improved and now she tends to do it at most locks.

19 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've found the best way to tackle a lock flight with a crew of 2 is that the skipper works the lock which the boat is in, while the crew-member gets the next lock ready.

Yes, once they know what they are doing, and aim to be efficient.

I recently took my windlass to help a pair who were doing pretty much everything in a novel way.

The boat was left to its own devices, and in a big lock covering all sides. There was a centreline rope but not deployed to any purpose. I think they just opened both paddles fully with no regard to what was happening to boat.

I suggested the man stay on the boat in order to stop it flying back in to the doors, as previously. I did not " take over", which can be very annoying, but I did tell her never to let the windlass go, as it whirled round on a non functioning ground paddle,  fortunately it stayed in place!

I thought it was best for someone to stay on board to prevent the boat getting jammed in doors or cilled, in this instance neither knew how to hold the boat with the centreline.

I'm not sure what is the best way, it must depend on skills and fitness levels. Big wide locks can be probably be more unpredictable than narrow locks, I don't know this, but I get the impression narrow locks are easier.

Edited by LadyG