Training

Catherine Howe

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think Willow Wren have stopped training, but recently, worth a call.

Have you tried any boosting?

There are basic motor boat courses, at most RYA schools, would at least give you a feel for it.

This is the announcement I read recently which confirms that they are stopping their training operation from this month.

https://www.willowwrentraining.co.uk/

Howard

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think Willow Wren have stopped training, but recently, worth a call.

Have you tried any boosting?

There are basic motor boat courses, at most RYA schools, would at least give you a feel for it.

Don't worry about the boat names: there are narrowboats ie 6ft 9 which fit narrow canals, and widebeam, which are wider, only fit the side canals.

The inland waterways have wide in the North and the South, narrow in the middle, so while a widebeam is more comfortable for living in, you are restricted.

You can hire small dayboats at lots of venues, this might be a way to start, best if you have someone with you who can help, but the absolute basis are ok, just go slowly and keep to the middle except when approaching another boat. Pass port to port. 

Hi LadyG, we have our own narrowboat boat but my wife is apprehensive about steering and will always decline if asked hence looking for training (I've offered to go through it, but she would prefer professional tuition, which is fine with me as she can then tell me what I'm doing wrong also!)

1 minute ago, robtheplod said:

Hi LadyG, we have our own narrowboat boat but my wife is apprehensive about steering and will always decline if asked hence looking for training (I've offered to go through it, but she would prefer professional tuition, which is fine with me as she can then tell me what I'm doing wrong also!)

There are very few people who can't steer forwards, it's the mooring up and reversing that's tricky.  Give her plenty of practice when there are no boats around and sometimes in slightly windy conditions and she will build up experience and confidence.

She should be able to manage the boat in a lock, as it only needs one to keep the boat away from the cill and the gates, which is easy. It just a lack of confidence really at this stage.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Does she actually want training, or is it you suggesting she should have some?

If she wants to get familiar with steering without you standing over her, then suggest she takes the boat on her own.

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

You can then get her to insure the boat, i believe some give a reduction once you have a helmspersons cert ;) 

I was always put off by them being two day courses nowhere near where we live, so having to factor in stopping somewhere too just made my wallet pucker :D 

Now the better half has built her confidence we don’t feel we need to do it. If somewhere did a one or half day course we might consider it just for the rope handling stuff, but two days is overkill now we don’t pinball down the cut.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Does she actually want training, or is it you suggesting she should have some?

If she wants to get familiar with steering without you standing over her, then suggest she takes the boat on her own.

Its her suggestion... :)   

Of course one problem is that anyone can set up as a boat trainer. I wasn’t too impressed to find a training boat moored on a short lock landing, the trainer was demonstrating how to tie up a boat, do knots etc. He seemed not to consider moving his boat as we arrived to go through the lock. Setting a bad example from the outset.

Edited by nicknorman

On 29/10/2021 at 15:04, dmr said:

In general a longboat is a big rowing boat used by the Vikings, canal boats are usually narrowboats (7 foot wide) or barges (more than 7).

Get stuck into a load of research from the internet, and maybe a few books, for a few weeks. Get to your nearest canal and watch some boats going through locks, and try to chat to some boaters. Then go on the training course.

I suppose its a bit like driving a car, get the theory bit sorted out from home, then do the practical. 😀

The training course will cost a fair bit and you will get more out of it if you can swot up on the basics first.

(and ask any questions here too).

6 ft 9, a few boats are 7ft and would jam in a tight lock. So never buy one!

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

A lot of historic boats are a bit over 7ft and move around without too many issues so that statement isn't entirely true. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, IanM said:

A lot of historic boats are a bit over 7ft and move around without too many issues so that statement isn't entirely true. 

True, but these are for experienced enthusiasts, OP is a newby

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If this is so, how did all these boats get to Ellesmere Port this Easter?

If you want to be pedantic modern narrow boats are built to 6' 10" beam.

Edited by Ray T

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The OP joined up, posted the question and hasn't been back since last October.

Still doesn't make your statement correct either.  

Are you sure ? Can't be bothered going back to check but I get the impression that the couple already have a boat so advice about what to buy is a bit late :-). I think checking the RYA web site which I presume will give a list of places which do the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans training and examination would be more useful than looking at motor boat courses. Different environment, different shaped boats and they don't have to cope with strong bywashes going in and out of locks. 

1 minute ago, haggis said:

Are you sure ? Can't be bothered going back to check but I get the impression that the couple already have a boat so advice about what to buy is a bit late :-). I think checking the RYA web site which I presume will give a list of places which do the RYA Inland Waterways Helmsmans training and examination would be more useful than looking at motor boat courses. Different environment, different shaped boats and they don't have to cope with strong bywashes going in and out of locks. 

The Original Poster was a newbie asking for advice last October but hasn't been back since. @robtheplod resurrected the thread and isn't a newbie. @LadyG seems intent on giving out boat purchasing advice however.

52 minutes ago, LadyG said:

How does the steerer's level of experience affect whether a boat that is, say, 7ft 1in wide will or will not fit into a lock chamber 7ft 2in wide? The only relevant factor I can see is that the newbie might not be aware that trying it with fenders down is not a good idea, but then that isn't really a good idea on boats 6ft 9in wide either!

4 hours ago, robtheplod said:

We discussed me getting off but she thought it best for each to do their 'bit'.... i have got off to help her but she doesn't like it.

I've found the best way to tackle a lock flight with a crew of 2 is that the skipper works the lock which the boat is in, while the crew-member gets the next lock ready.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've found the best way to tackle a lock flight with a crew of 2 is that the skipper works the lock which the boat is in, while the crew-member gets the next lock ready.

That is how we work through a flight, do much easier if Mrs-M goes ahead and sets the next one and I work the one the boat is in.  If there are any volockies around I then ask them to close the gates behind me

You could just learn how to handle a narrowboat using this narrowboat simulator app on your phone. The added advantage is that it saves on the cost of buying or hiring a boat, licence & mooring fees and all other associated boating costs. 🤣

Sorry I don't know how to post links for apps.

Screenshot_2022-05-16-12-45-52-064_org.godotengine.narrowboatsimulator.jpg

Edited by blackrose