Training

Catherine Howe

Featured Posts

In general a longboat is a big rowing boat used by the Vikings, canal boats are usually narrowboats (7 foot wide) or barges (more than 7).

Get stuck into a load of research from the internet, and maybe a few books, for a few weeks. Get to your nearest canal and watch some boats going through locks, and try to chat to some boaters. Then go on the training course.

I suppose its a bit like driving a car, get the theory bit sorted out from home, then do the practical. 😀

The training course will cost a fair bit and you will get more out of it if you can swot up on the basics first.

(and ask any questions here too).

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Catherine Howe said:

Hello, I've just joined and want to learn how to handle a long boat and navigate on the canals.  I live in Worcestershire.  Can anyone suggest training courses reasonably near to me? 

To "mug up" a bit on boats and canals before actually setting foot aboard,you could look at the posts in "General Boating"at the beginning of this site for a couple of hours.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience from the grumpy old gits and the really grumpy old gits on here.

7 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

To "mug up" a bit on boats and canals before actually setting foot aboard,you could look at the posts in "General Boating"at the beginning of this site for a couple of hours DAYS.

Corrected that for ya!

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Corrected that for ya!

There is so much boat and canal related stuff about just now that you could spend years watching it all, and still not learn any reality.

A couple of weeks of study would be good, but don't believe everything you read.

8 hours ago, Goliath said:

How to steer around shopping trollies and drift over sunken vehicles before operating a lock with broken ground paddles and a mattress around the prop. 

Stop telling the truth about canal boating. You will put people off!  😞

20 hours ago, Goliath said:

How to steer around shopping trollies and drift over sunken vehicles before operating a lock with broken ground paddles and a mattress around the prop. 

Anybody would think you've just been up the Rochdale 😀

• Happy 1

Just hire a day boat. They're small so very manageable, and take it slow. Running a boat aint rocket science. All you need to know is that you drive on the right when meeting boats, to turn left you shove the tiller to the right, and the only brake is reverse gear.

And where the kettle is.

Best way to learn boats is to go dinghy sailing... Yes, I know it has extra things like sails to learn, but as a fun, fast learning curve, it can't be beaten... Tiller steering becomes second nature, and learning boat handling in windy conditions is an added experience that can hold you in good stead on the cut. 

• Greenie 2

• 6 months later...

My wife would like to go on a course to gain experience with steering/handling of the boat - she has not steered at all currently but would like to help out when we go cruising, plus I'd like to then be able to do locks as i feel so guilty stood there watching her struggle......

Willow Wren seem to have stopped training so looking for alternatives where people would recommend them?  dont need the ones where it goes into engine maintenance etc, just so she can handle the boat..... any suggestions?  thanks!!!

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

plus I'd like to then be able to do locks as i feel so guilty stood there watching her struggle......

Is there something stopping you getting off the boat yourself at a lock and helping your wife work it? Or working it yourself, even? 

Us single handers do this all the time!

Its also good practice from a safety point of view to be on the bank as the boat transits a lock, rather than on the boat.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Is there something stopping you getting off the boat yourself at a lock and helping your wife work it? Or working it yourself, even? 

Us single handers do this all the time!

Its also good practice from a safety point of view to be on the bank as the boat transits a lock, rather than on the boat.

We discussed me getting off but she thought it best for each to do their 'bit'.... i have got off to help her but she doesn't like it.

• Greenie 1

On 30/10/2021 at 20:46, RickS said:

+1 for Willow Wren. Very professional. Nice people

I think Willow Wren have stopped training, but recently, worth a call.

Have you tried any boating?

There are basic motor boat courses, at most RYA schools, would at least give you a feel for it.

Don't worry about the boat names: there are narrowboats ie 6ft 9 which fit narrow canals, and widebeam, which are wider, only fit the wide canals, as you might expect.

The inland waterways have wide in the North and the South, narrow in the middle, so while a widebeam is more comfortable for living in, you are restricted.

You can hire small dayboats at lots of venues, this might be a way to start, best if you have someone with you who can help, but the absolute basis are ok, just go slowly and keep to the middle except when approaching another boat. Pass port to port. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1