Solar output

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Not strictly boat equipment but it is solar so could count.

How much output should one expect to see from a 4.38kW set of domestic solar panels driving a grid tie inverter over a 12month period. No batteries so that won't limit output.

I know what my potential installer has quoted but it seems high to me.

ETA panels are facing due south on a 35deg roof with no shade.

@peterboat may have some idea😯

Edited by Loddon

14 minutes ago, Loddon said:

How much output should one expect to see from a 4.38kW set of domestic solar panels driving a grid tie inverter over a 12month period. No batteries so that won't limit output.

Presumably your latitude (elevation of the sun) and location (generally cloudy in the west, sunnier in the east etc) has a significant bearing?

8 minutes ago, pig said:

My domestic solar panels were installed in Feb 2012. The output over their lifetime to date is 35952 KWh, so thats about 3720 KWh per annum.

(West Yorkshire, grid tied 3.6 KW inverter, 4.0 KW of panels)

HTH

Thats good to know, makes his figures of 4380 kWh seem more reasonable as we are a long way further south than you are.

My calculations using https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/ came out between the two figures.

Thanks

42 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Presumably your latitude (elevation of the sun) and location (generally cloudy in the west, sunnier in the east etc) has a significant bearing?

We are a long way south so that does help.

Its a bit wet at the moment.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

ETA panels are facing due south on a 35deg roof with no shade.

Mine are flat Julian, but I would have to interrogate both solar controllers and they have been turned off and reset 😟 I think the figures quoted are about right especially given your location. 

Thats all good news, all seems right. Good news is my total electricity  use was 3148kWh over the last 12 months so the panels should cover that. Surprisingly the calculator https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/ recons that even  in December and January  I will get about 140kWh per month 

That calculator  also has the facity to do off grid calculations that could be used for a boat and allows you to input daily use etc to give a real indication of how you will fare with solar in the winter ;)

• Greenie 1