Place for launching 60’ x 11’ wide beam.

Great Escape

Featured Posts

Hi

looking for some help from some of you kind souls if you could.

Our 60 x 11 wide beam is nearing completion and we are looking for a place to have her delivered to and craned in.

We are going to be moored in Sheffield so where would be the best place to have her put into water? , as close to Sheffield as possible.

Thanks in advance

Neal

The nearest places are probably Staniland Marina in Thorne and The Boathouse in Goole. Also Viking Marine in Goole have a crane, but the weight limit is 18 tons, which your boat may well exceed. I've not heard of Jonathan Wilson's in Sheffield every allowing a boat to be launched that they've not built. Neither Staniland, or Goole have a crane of their own to my knowledge, so a mobile one would be required. I believe CaRT were asked about allowing craning in at Tinsley some years ago and said no, but since then heavy work pontoons have been craned in and out without problems, so may be worth asking again. They can only say no. We are coming in to Winter now and the Don will be going in to flood more often, which can delay trips to Sheffield from elsewhere. I'm not aware of any stoppages planned before January.

Hi Neal,

Try Finesse Boats Tel No 0114 3270404 the Louis Wilson yard just outside the basin. I had a 60’x12’ put in a couple of years ago, not cheap as had to have a 100T crane about £1200 +VAT from what I remember. They get cranes in regular to move there boats out so may be able to hit on a date they have one in for their boats. 

Are you mooring at Victoria Quays and have you physically seen where your mooring will be?

Only a couple of spaces where a boat of that size can go and all on the Towpath side, you need to be happy with your mooring before you get there and what services are available as the mooring doesn’t come with parking(all allocated at the minute)or Mail box all you get is a mooring.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

Hi all thanks for the reply’s , I had a run down to Finesse this morning , they have a crane in on the 10th of Nov for multiple lifts but unfortunately we are going to miss this date and we therefore would have to get a crane just for mine at a cost of 2.5k min .

It’s looking like it will be Stanilands so we provisionally booked but I have yet to be advised of an exact cost,

11 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Hi all thanks for the reply’s , I had a run down to Finesse this morning , they have a crane in on the 10th of Nov for multiple lifts but unfortunately we are going to miss this date and we therefore would have to get a crane just for mine at a cost of 2.5k min .

It’s looking like it will be Stanilands so we provisionally booked but I have yet to be advised of an exact cost,

Do you know where your going? As I say that’s what you need to confirm as there’s only a couple of places where you can go, you may see moorings available but these are moorers that are out getting their boats blacked and will be back in a couple of weeks.

Just now, PD1964 said:

Do you know where your going? As I say that’s what you need to confirm as there’s only a couple of places where you can go, you may see moorings available but these are moorers that are out getting their boats blacked and will be back in a couple of weeks.

Sorry , yeah I know where I,m going, we have a mooring at Tinsley.

Ah that’s ok I thought you were going to Victoria Quays when you said Sheffield, the last widebeam that came a few months ago never confirmed or even visited the place before he brought his boat and was a little surprised with what was available. The other place you can try for a lift in is Bluewater also at Thorne. I was a bit surprised at the cost Finesse quoted, good luck.

Edited by PD1964

10 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Try Finesse Boats Tel No 0114 3270404 the Louis Wilson yard just outside the basin. I had a 60’x12’ put in a couple of years ago, not cheap as had to have a 100T crane

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

@Great Escape

Have you tried Nationwide Narrowboats also at Thorne, they have a 50t crane on site:

https://www.nationwidenarrowboatsales.com/

Op's boat is not much different to your 60x12, do you really think that a 50t will be big enough ?

Our boat is 11 tons and set the alarm off on a 100t crane due to the required reach. Lifting capacity reduces tremendously with distance / boom length.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Op's boat is not much different to your 60x12, do you really think that a 50t will be big enough ?

Our boat is 11 tons and set the alarm off on a 100t crane due to the required reach. Lifting capacity reduces tremendously with distance / boom length.

My boat was fully built Aqualine 31t, I don’t know to what stage of completion the OP’s boat is at, as in one post I’m sure he says he will be installing kitchen, bathroom, so don’t know the weight, yes every fully fitted Widebeam that I’ve seen being lifted in new, the yard has had a 100t crane. If their crane is not suitable it’s another yard that maybe able to held getting a crane in.

C9B4FEAA-6F88-4607-AEC6-D0792EE63CF9.jpeg.5ee857123d5b53484cc02f6a8552f310.jpeg

Edited by PD1964

30 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Yes tried them, but apparently they are limited to 20t at the moment for some reason.

Not many places left, where’s the boat now? No chance of getting it in a bit further out and sailing her in? 
  Pete’s suggestion of AWA at Rotherham may work and is worth further investigation and there’s a crane company at Mexborough so not too far.

Edited by PD1964

I was wrong. looking at it again, it was a 90 tonne rated crane.

90 tonnes at 2.5 metres but only 9.6 tonnes at 20 metres &  1.2 tonnes at 48 metres

We set the overload alarm off when he turned around to drop us into the car park.

20201023-112521.jpg

20201023-114338.jpg

Screenshot (667).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Not many places left, where’s the boat now? No chance of getting it in a bit further out and sailing her in? 
  Pete’s suggestion of AWA at Rotherham may work and is worth further investigation and there’s a crane company at Swindon so not too far.

Boat is in Liverpool, what is AWA ? can’t seem to find any info on them. We’ve got Newark in mind as a last resort but don’t really fancy the Trent this Time of year and could use the time better fitting the kitchen.

7 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Boat is in Liverpool, what is AWA ? can’t seem to find any info on them. We’ve got Newark in mind as a last resort but don’t really fancy the Trent this Time of year and could use the time better fitting the kitchen.

It's a steel stockholders in Rotherham next to the canal and sorry its AMA it used to belong to waddingtons. If you turn the name the other way up it changes to Victor Waddington it was his little joke on BW 

6 minutes ago, Great Escape said:

Yeah I’m confident they can do it, a hell of a lot cheaper too I’m just not as confident with tidal Trent on her maiden voyage lol.

From memory they charged us £160, a lot different to £2500.

Have you considered paying someone experienced in Winter / Tidal rivers to skipper her for you (or at least accompany you) ?

You could pay them £500 (or even £1000) for a couple or three days work and still be 'quids in'.

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was wrong. looking at it again, it was a 90 tonne rated crane.

90 tonnes at 2.5 metres but only 9.6 tonnes at 20 metres &  1.2 tonnes at 48 metres

We set the overload alarm off when he turned around to drop us into the car park.

20201023-112521.jpg

20201023-114338.jpg

Screenshot (667).png

Mine was lifted of the side and dropped in before wheelhouse, kitchen fitout and ballast it weighed 27 tons, it was just the stern section that needed ballast after everything was added 5 tons if I remember right so it would be about 35 tons plus? At 57 x 12 the OPs will be similar?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

From memory they charged us £160, a lot different to £2500.

Have you considered paying someone experienced in Winter / Tidal rivers to skipper her for you (or at least accompany you) ?

You could pay them £500 (or even £1000) for a couple or three days work and still be 'quids in'.

Off top of my head think Newark is £420 , yes I have considered someone else, fortunately my father and his wife are quite experienced but he’s just had major surgery so he’s out of commission for a while. Selfish I thought :)

• Haha 2