"Notorious" Walsall Basin Strikes again.

springy

Featured Posts

Italic Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+I

14 hours ago, matty40s said:

How are all the visiting boats supposed to use a weed filled pontoon......or perhaps they are mountain bike jumps sponsored by Sustrans.

What visiting boats. The only place I have moored and then moved on in the evening

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Italic Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+I

What visiting boats. The only place I have moored and then moved on in the evening

Exactly.  When I went.  I visited the gallery.  When I came out, there were scrotey kids climbing over my boat.  I went and moored on the off side workboat mooring down by the junction.

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Exactly.  When I went.  I visited the gallery.  When I came out, there were scrotey kids climbing over my boat.  I went and moored on the off side workboat mooring down by the junction.

We were onboard when they did it. The fisherman said I thought you were brave mooring there.

We moored outside the pub/restaurant opposite the pontoons and we were fine but it was in the summer and we sat  in the bows or on one of the seats in the area so it was obvious the boat was occupied. We had no problems during the night and eft next morning. 

10 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Floating traders have been asked to join in the Walsall Continental Market in December to trade in the basin. AFAIK, there has been very little interest which is a real shame but understandable I suppose.

Been there a couple of times in a group and no problem so yes. its a shame

26 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Floating traders have been asked to join in the Walsall Continental Market in December to trade in the basin. AFAIK, there has been very little interest which is a real shame but understandable I suppose.

Stoppages probably not helping.

We have moored in the basin a number of times, but as part of the BCN Challenge when there have been other boats there.  When we have been on our own we have moored on the offside pontoon at the junction.

Perhaps the issues could be solved by fencing the basin off and making them secure moorings, with the bonus that the locals would not keep falling in.

This post mentions the deep water. Has this been measured?

As stated before there is subsidence along the arm caused through limestone workings in the nineteenth century, in Wolverhampton Street. So there are genuine spots of deep water, Where the basin has been dug out, the terminus was originally a narrow canal. There were coal and limestone wharves and tramway would bring the limestone from various pits to the wharves

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

This post mentions the deep water. Has this been measured?

As stated before there is subsidence along the arm caused through limestone workings in the nineteenth century, in Wolverhampton Street. So there are genuine spots of deep water, Where the basin has been dug out, the terminus was originally a narrow canal. There were coal and limestone wharves and tramway would bring the limestone from various pits to the wharves

Well judging by previous posts, its deep enough to swim across whilst shouting "fcukin' 'ell its cold in 'ere".

Thing is though, it is possible to drown in as little as 4" of water so whatever the depth, a case can be made for a "Danger - deep water" sign. 

23 hours ago, wandering snail said:

As part of the launch of the ill fated Association of Continuous Cruisers and relaunch of the Roving Canal Traders Association (and the launch of CRT itself) we did a little floating market in Walsall basin. This was obviously a few years ago but It went very well.

We had a small amount of youth trouble one evening but nothing to get upset about, a few lads tried to swim naked across the basin, two more stood on the roof of a boat but were very apologetic when told people were actually inside trying to sleep. Getting there was the hardest bit.

I think we had about 5 boats there.

• Love 1

I found these two pictures in my collection of a busy Walsall basin, late 1980s I think, and only two shots 'cos it was on film stock, 

Walsall2.jpg.d9ba648c2443881377b093c8e5b2c673.jpgWalsall1.jpg.692910c928875a61e78d647145c95aff.jpg

springy

Edited to add - possibly later - the new Art Gallery is obviously "under construction" but externally close to complete, but looking at the gallery website it opened in 2000 so possibly 1990's.

Edited by springy
date info
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1