A trip through Harecastle Tunnel?

Rhu

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Working in live events/music etc myself I don’t have an issue with the performance or arty bits…I do however have an issue if CRT is funding any of it…money that could be better spent on maintenance or indeed longer opening hours for Harecastle. This sort of spending is fine when there is a surplus but not when lock gates are falling apart. 

So are ALL of the live events/music etc that you work in fully funded by ticket sales? Or do they also rely in part on funding from national or local government, arts organisations, charities, sponsors, philanthropists and the like, all of whose money could be devoted to more 'worthy' causes?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

So are ALL of the live events/music etc that you work in fully funded by ticket sales? Or do they also rely in part on funding from national or local government, arts organisations, charities, sponsors, philanthropists and the like, all of whose money could be devoted to more 'worthy' causes?

Self funded venues and corporate events eg conferences and the like….as I’ve said I’ve no issue giving funding when the company has a surplus but CRT is far from that position right now…yet can find money for graffiti by calling it street art in Leicester or carving poems into lock beams….

2 hours ago, frangar said:

Working in live events/music etc myself I don’t have an issue with the performance or arty bits…I do however have an issue if CRT is funding any of it…money that could be better spent on maintenance or indeed longer opening hours for Harecastle. This sort of spending is fine when there is a surplus but not when lock gates are falling apart. 

The Arts Council provide CRT with a lot of funding for art projects. And as you’ll know money awarded for an arts project can’t be spent elsewhere such as on lock maintenance. Just as money awarded from Heritage to fix locks can’t be spent on art projects. 

• Greenie 2

I would suggest you read the book on the Harecastle Tunnels published by Lightmoor, the authors give a comprehensive study of the railway and canal tunnels.

The existing canal tunnel is the second, or Telford, tunnel, and I also provide a desription in my book on the Trent and Mersey Canal (Crowood 2021). Artistic impressions of th side tunnels would be of use, which served the mines. Then there is the towpath over the top whith the various flora and fauna to look at.

I can't help wondering whether anyone has been into the Brindley tunnel lately. It closed in 1914 due to subsidence and allegedly nobody has been any significant distance in since the 1960s but I can't help wondering what state it is now in. An aside, but I have a set of photographs taken in the Lapal tunnel long after its official abandonment.

Alec

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

I did a lot of playing in pub bands. While certainly some would have been funded by audience beer sales, there were enough half empty pubs to mean they were being funded by the breweries to keep the pub's name known and therefore people through the doors on nights when there wasn't music on. Same here, I suspect - these events drag people into contact with the canal who may have never noticed it before and may become users, boat owners, volunteers,  helpers etc.

If advertising didn't work, no-one would pay for it. The arts side is just that, some of it, like the pathetic poems and statues, probably counter productive if not a total waste. Some of it may not be. Much depends on the artist.