Webasto 12v controller

_Catherine_

Featured Posts

Help required. I have Webasto central heating on my wide beam which I know works. Originally it had a small webasto controller which the previous owner had issues with so bypassed it with a Heatmeiser thermostatic touch screen controller. I used this a couple of times hence I know the Webasto works but the touch screen has "had it" hence it was almost impossible to switch off and then eventually on.

I just need a 12v controller, heating on  heating off, NOT THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED, not even timed that will switch the Webasto (20amp fuse) on and off at my will without paying a ridiculous £80 plus for a Webasto one.

Any suggestions please.

A simple toggle switch (Ebay ~£1) in the power supply line ?

Toggle Switch, Panel Mount, On Off, Latching, 12V DC, 20A - 

401 - Toggle Switch, Panel Mount, On Off, Latching, 12V DC, 20A

Edit to add : Ensure any switch you get is a 12v DC one NOT a 230v AC switch as the AC ones do not play well with DC and the contacts can arc.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On my Webasto the time controller has 3 wires, positive, signal and negative.  The positive and negative power up the controller.  To turn the boiler “on” the controller connects the signal wire to the positive supply.  For “off” the signal wire is left floating, ie not connected to anything.

So you can use a simple on/off switch to connect the signal wire to the positive wire when you want the boiler ‘on’, or if you want something more sophisticated a 12v countdown module programmed for say 60mins can be found on eBay for about a fiver though you may want a housing for it.

Added - the signal method above is very low current so any switch will do, but if you use a switch in the power supply to the Webasto unit to turn on & off , then when you turn off the supply to the boiler, the unit will not go through it’s shut down routine and will probably not last long.

check the wiring to your existing controller to check the above applies.

Edited by Chewbacka

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

..... then when you turn off the supply to the boiler, the unit will not go through it’s shut down routine and will probably not last long.

This is the reason that these switches are not offered fornwebasto, mikuni and eberbastard units.

First of all you will soon after start to get swathes of white smoke on startup process, then eventually, it will become so clogged up, it will not run.

Edited by matty40s

They need the 12volt power to them usually 24x 7 certainly for the 15 minutes after you turn the device off using the control wire. Most controllers just switch 12 volts onto the control wire to initiate the start up sequence and then open the control wire circuit to initiate the shut down sequence this shuts the fuel off and continues to run the air fan and water pump until the burner unit, and heat exchanger have cooled to a safe level. Just cutting the power risks the unit sitting there with a glowing red hot centre, probable causing the water to boil sending steam down the pipes and possibly splitting them.