The Peak Forest Canal and Railway: An Engineering and Business History

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hi folks, does anyone have a copy of The Peak forest canal and railway: An engineering and business history by Brian lamb and Graeme boyes that they might be willing to sell? 

It is now out of print but contains some interesting history about my wharf in Marple so I'd like to find a copy to help reference information for the restoration and future use of the wharf. 

Best regards. S

2 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

I have a copy - if no one else has come forward by late November (when I'm back in Marple) get in touch and I'll lend it to you 

Thank you! That would be great. I would of course like to buy a copy but not at £100 as found online! 

I have a small hardback book on motorcycle riding which I purchased for £3.50 through the Vintage Motorcycle Club many decades ago, It has been out of print a long time, and curiosity got me searching the internet for a copy. There was one (at the time) for sale for £347. Surely a mistake. I contacted the seller, and no, there was no mistake.

Today, I find just one copy available at £62. That's a long way from £347. Glad I still have my original copy. So keep searching and be patient.

There are several other histories of the canal and the railway, maybe one of them tells of wharves in Marple.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

It seems like that is a link to a £35 pdf of the book. I'm a bit old fashioned in the sense that I'd rather flick through real pages. 

Thanks. 

Have you tried the public library, who might be able to get you a copy on loan from the British Library? I did this a couple of decades ago with some Edwardian/late Victorian books on railway signallng and rolling stock. It used to be a free service, but now I think there is a charge.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Have you tried the public library, who might be able to get you a copy on loan from the British Library? I did this a couple of decades ago with some Edwardian/late Victorian books on railway signallng and rolling stock. It used to be a free service, but now I think there is a charge.

I remember as a student (3 decades ago) ordering rare books from other libraries through the local library. I simply requested the book I wanted and they somehow got it for me. Dunno how they did it. The books were sent from different libraries. 

I tried it again perhaps 10 year ago and they hadn’t a clue. 

🤷‍♀️