Has my MX40 reached the end of its life?

Theo

Featured Posts

It's not working at the moment so I have unshipped it, taken it home and am investigating.  I think that it's the flame sensor plus some stiffness of the air blower from lack of use over a lengthy period.  I can't buy any more gaskets.  Mikuni have stopped making spares and MV Heating in Eastliegh have none left.  Not necessarily a problem I can create my own from some 2mm gasket paper.

I got this news from the nice man at MV Heating who told me that the replacement for the MX40 is an MV MX50 which they will mount on the same plate that the MX40 was mounted on if I send it off to them,  cost £595 + VAT plus carriage.

Question: is the MV MX50 a good buy?

My inclination is to have a go with the old one and see if I can get it going for a few more years (months? weeks? not at all?)

Opinions/advice will be gratefully read.

N

Nothing ventured nothing gained. If playing about with it doesn't cost a lot of money, then you have nothing to lose. If the fan is only stiff from lack of use, then lubrication should ease it, but it may be problems with the motor which is more terminal.

I gave up with my Mikuni MX40 years ago. Ripped it out and replaced it with a Refleks. 

The MX40 was being very troublesome, they'd just stoped making the spares and I was totally fed up with it.

To be fair, I do wish I'd still got something similar as they are useful for heating hot water on those summer days when you don't move and the solar has charged the batteries and heating on days or nights when it's not quite cold enough to light the Refleks but is a tad chilly.

Of course, the above is IMHO.

Edited by jeddlad