Overplating ...a very interesting and scary article

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, waterworks said:

Pointless concern on narrow boats since there are no standards of welding or fabrication on the hulls , the " welder" doesn't even have to be qualified. 

What's the difference between a "Coded Welder" and a common or garden one?

Genuine question.

15 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

What's the difference between a "Coded Welder" and a common or garden one?

Genuine question.

A coded welded has proved he can weld to certain standards and has a 'sustificate' to say so, it allows him to weld to the most rigorous  quality standards, in such as aerospace, gas mains etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A coded welded has proved he can weld to certain standards and has a 'sustificate' to say so, it allows him to weld to the most rigorous  quality standards, in such as aerospace, gas mains etc etc.

And even then they don't trust him and test the welds

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies.

Once tried electric welding,but the rod kept sticking to the metal and I realised that welding was more difficult than it looks.

Tried brazing a flange on an exhaust pipe,but after blowing two holes in the pipe,gave up.

11 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Thanks for the replies.

Once tried electric welding,but the rod kept sticking to the metal and I realised that welding was more difficult than it looks.

Tried brazing a flange on an exhaust pipe,but after blowing two holes in the pipe,gave up.

Yes, end up with a cross between a colander and a hedgehog. Been there, got the t-shirt.

When I was working ,there was a big noting Scot reckoned he should be the maintenance welder.....or I think thats what he said!.......Anyhoo ,bosses sanctioned a test ......Scottie ,set everything up,quick test run ,then the bosses came out ,and the multitude......I was standing beside the gas bottles,and turned the gas off just as he started to weld,then back on again when the wire burnt back into the torch.......Scottie never heard the end of it.