Changing the injection pump on a BMC 1.5 - gasket

jhodgski

Featured Posts

Hiya,

My injection pump is leaking quite badly, so I'm swapping it for the one from my old engine. However, I didn't think to get a new gasket.

Would I be OK to use the old gasket, or am I better with some blue hylomar? Or should I definitely get a new gasket?

Thanks in advance, :-)

James

10 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

Hiya,

My injection pump is leaking quite badly, so I'm swapping it for the one from my old engine. However, I didn't think to get a new gasket.

Would I be OK to use the old gasket, or am I better with some blue hylomar? Or should I definitely get a new gasket?

Thanks in advance, 🙂

James

You can get gasket paper and make your own but my guess is that the old one, even if it is broken a little, with a thin smear of Hylomar on both sides. There should be very little oil around the pump to adaptor plate joint,

You might get away with it, but a gasket of some form will produce better results.

Ordinary cardboard from a cereal packet , well hylomared both sides or brown paper, two thicknesses oiled on the outsides with Hylomar in the inside, like a sandwich, will do if it is urgent.

Otherwise there is lots of proper gasket paper on Amazon or E bay, in small (A4) sheets for not much money.

Google "gasket paper" or "klingerit statite".

N

The gasket paper has now arrived. 🙂

It is generally a good idea to use blue hylomar both sides for a new gasket, too?

I'm especially considering whether to use blue hylomar on a new gasket for the lift pump as well. I put a new gasket on that recently, but it's still leaking oil - so thinking the hylomar+gasket+hylomar may do the trick there?

7 minutes ago, jhodgski said:

The gasket paper has now arrived. 🙂

It is generally a good idea to use blue hylomar both sides for a new gasket, too?

I'm especially considering whether to use blue hylomar on a new gasket for the lift pump as well. I put a new gasket on that recently, but it's still leaking oil - so thinking the hylomar+gasket+hylomar may do the trick there?

The fuel pump should be fine with just a smear of grease.

The lift pump is often problematic. Overtightening the bolts can bend the mounting flange and make it difficult to get a good seal and they sometimes work loose too.

I would degrease the block and pump flange and use Hylomar. Tighten the nuts progressively to approx. 20 ft lbs.  Check them after several hours running.

1. i would just lightly grease both sides of the new gasket but I doubt Hylomar will do any harm until you try to get it off again.

2. It may but I fear the lift pump mounting flange may be bowed, potentially from overtightening onto a thick gasket. Try Hylomar and  hope.

SNAP  with Tracy.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 minute ago, jhodgski said:

OK, thanks both.

What thickness gasket paper would you recommend for the lift pump?

Really depends on how bowed the flange is now. Start thin, go thicker if you can't get a seal. Originally it would have been a 10 thou paper gasket I think.

The more jointing compound you put on the greater the chance for it to squeeze out and get somewhere it should not be. For a lift pump that danger is not that great but don't layer it on close to the centre. I think I might try silicon and put a bead towards the outside of the gasket and let it start to go off before fitting.