Detailed Planning application submitted for new Holyhead marina and development of the 'sea front'.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Latest images of multi-million pound North Wales marina development as plans submitted - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

The proposed development will include a 250-berth marina, 259 townhouses and apartments, marine commercial and additional A1/A3 retail units on the waterfront, together with substantial areas of improved public realm, and an amphitheatre and covered arcade for open-air events.

There would be a new breakwater erected to provide additional shelter, with the existing marina - owned by a different company - badly damaged in Storm Emma in 2018.

Listed buildings Soldiers Point House and Porth-y-Felin House would be restored and converted into apartments.

0_Newry-Beach-Commercial-Area-Holyhead.jpg

Just now, dmr said:

We've not got the boat to Holyhead yet, I assume it must be on one of those Northern canals with silly little 57 foot locks ?       (😀)

I did hear holyhead coastguard on the VHF when doing the ribble link so I think you just turn left from tarelton...head towards the Isle of Man then turn left again.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

I did hear holyhead coastguard on the VHF when doing the ribble link so I think you just turn left from tarelton...head towards the Isle of Man then turn left again.....

Or you could start from Liverpool, or Ellesmere Port.  Some nice shots of the Mersey in this week's "Saving lives at sea" (BBC2). Also a rather hairy rescue near Tobermory.

21 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Latest images of multi-million pound North Wales marina development as plans submitted - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

The proposed development will include a 250-berth marina, 259 townhouses and apartments, marine commercial and additional A1/A3 retail units on the waterfront, together with substantial areas of improved public realm, and an amphitheatre and covered arcade for open-air events.

There would be a new breakwater erected to provide additional shelter, with the existing marina - owned by a different company - badly damaged in Storm Emma in 2018.

Listed buildings Soldiers Point House and Porth-y-Felin House would be restored and converted into apartments.

0_Newry-Beach-Commercial-Area-Holyhead.jpg

What do the local people think of it?

29 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Don't believe anything that the Daily Post write. More holiday homes for Anglesey 

Well, Holyhead certainly needs something to bring it into the 20C, let alone the 21C.

It is still of the mind that it is a Victorian railway terminus. Scruffy, Grimy and the only reason to go there is to get off the train and onto the ferry.

It never cease to amaze me that the big Cruise ships actually call in and the passengers all get off (using the lifeboats) and spend a few hours walking around 'historic Holyhead'. It must just be like visiting the Zoo, (something to tell your friends about how bad it was.)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

What do the local people think of it?

Since the closure of the Aluminium smelting plant the area has been almost bereft of any meaningful employment opportunities. An additonal ice cream or burger van 'on the front' almost doubles the number of people working in the town.

In principal it will be welcomed, additional housing and boats will bring much needed custom to the shops, restaurants etc.

We spent many years moored in Holyhead, firstly on the sailing club swinging moorings, and latterly in the (what will now become) 'old marina' (the one that was swept away in the storn a few years ago).

Assuming we are still boating when it opens, we will certainly move back to Holyhead as it is the ONLY Harbour / Marina on the West coast that is accesible at all states of the tide.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Depends on whether the local people can afford to buy some of them.

I am sure the development will in theory be good for tourism but only if the local people will welcome the tourists (and boat owners)?