Brummagen boat build

Featured Posts

I have a 1990 brummagen 63 foot cruiser stern, and am trying to find out what the original build secs were - specifically base plate thickness. 

I know, bit of a long shot 😅 but have just had a surveyor tell me the base plate is two different thicknesses... and if anyone can shed any light that would be great. 

2 minutes ago, Jo Mallory said:

I have a 1990 brummagen 63 foot cruiser stern, and am trying to find out what the original build secs were - specifically base plate thickness. 

I know, bit of a long shot 😅 but have just had a surveyor tell me the base plate is two different thicknesses... and if anyone can shed any light that would be great. 

Was it the base plate or the counter?  Many boats have a thinner steel under the counter right at the stern.

I have no idea why other than that the bit of base plate cut off at the stern is used for the counter but is of course a couple of feet short so a bit of odd thickness plate gets added.

Sorry I don't know the plate gauges.

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Was it the base plate or the counter?  Many boats have a thinner steel under the counter right at the stern.

I have no idea why other than that the bit of base plate cut off at the stern is used for the counter but is of course a couple of feet short so a bit of odd thickness plate gets added.

Sorry I don't know the plate gauges.

Hi ya, the counter plate is 10mm, and under the engine is 10mm, but apparently there's a welded section on the base plate that's only 6mm - hasn't shown on any previous survey, and it's just seems a strange thing? 

7 hours ago, Lady C said:

Our base plate on a 1985/6 boat is two different thicknesses.  At the front it is imperial but further back is the metric equivalent.  If yours is similar, it probably just reflects what was happening at the time.

Hey, this is interesting, thank you for this. All previous surveys have shown base and counter plate all 10mm - and the current surveyor has said 10mm counter and 10mm under the engine, but apparently the rest is 6mm - just seems strange?

7 hours ago, David Mack said:

What are the thicknesses?

Quite possible the boatbuilder didn't have enough plate of the intended thickness in stock, and substituted what was available for part of the baseplate.

Current surveyor is saying 10mm under engine and counter, but the rest of the base plate is 6mm - all other surveys say base plate is the same. 

1 hour ago, Jo Mallory said:

'Fraid not, we've owned her from last survey to current one. 

Maybe the latest surveyor was a little more diligent or experienced that the previous one.

The 'quality' of surveyors is very variable as there are no qualifications required to call yourself a surveyor. (A lot of people are surprised by that).

I had a boat built years ago and the bottom was 6mm, used to be the norm, the builder said they had some 7mm steel so did I mind if the last third of the boat was 7mm?  The stockholder probably had some of this odd thickness steel and it was sold as 'clearance'. All sorts of odd things happen in manufacturing depending on suppliers, shortages, holidays and stuff.