Don't wait - Buy your anodes now and stockpile - A better investment than toilet rolls.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Europe runs out of Magnesium by end on Novemeber.

Fears are growing among European leaders that the EU's industrial recovery from the pandemic is about to be undercut by yet another supply shock: a shortage of Chinese magnesium, which is vital to sectors such as cars, planes and electronics.

More than 95 percent of Europe's magnesium comes from China but the country is slashing back output amid nationwide energy shortages. China is, by far, the world's biggest producer, meaning it would be hard for smaller producers such as Russia and Israel to step in and fill huge shortfalls.

The immediate problem is that China's factories are now partially closed owing to nationwide energy shortages, and exports of magnesium are plummeting. In the EU, stock of the mineral now risks running out by the end of November, according to a joint statement issued on Friday by a dozen industry groups, including European Aluminium and the European Steel Association.

The groups warned about "far-reaching ramifications on entire European Union value chains," saying the construction and packaging industries are also feeling the heat. "Without urgent action by the European Union, this issue, if not resolved, threatens thousands of businesses across Europe, their entire supply chains, and the millions of jobs that rely on them," they said.

EU leaders signal alarm over Chinese magnesium crunch – POLITICO

Screenshot (657).png

2021-10-22-cross-industry-statement_magnesium-supply-crisis-in-europe_final.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Simple. Organise a gigantic rally of every narrowboat in the country. The sheer mass of steel will exert such a terrific attractive force that all the magnesium in China will burst out of the ground and hurtle to England. The clang will be heard round the world.

The only problem I can forsee is trying to prise the boats apart again.

33 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

So what is the alternative to magnesium for anodes?

There is very little 'less-noble' than Magnesium, specific anode grades of 'Alloys of Aluminium' is the next lowest practical metal. It will protect mild steel but not as well as Magnesium.

Alternatively build the boats from Passive stainless steel, Titanium, or Silver (Platinum or gold would be too expensive)

Galvanic Order of Metals A - C 2.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Force a reverse electrical potential between your boat hull and the anodes. The anodes will attract Magnesium ions out of the water and grow in size. Your boat hull will corrode away to nothing, but the Magnesium you get will be worth so much you will be able to afford a new boat.

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

In freshwater? A corroded boat ...

Everyone fit Zinc anodes and move to salt water moorings till the shortage passes. What is the price and availability of Zinc these days?

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

In freshwater? A corroded boat ...

Is it? 

Or is it all the zinc leached out of your propeller? Or both?

I do find the whole subject shrouded in mystery and endless bollux written about it. Understanding Covid is easy in comparison! 

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Glad I zingered the boat and fitted new anodes. 

On a different note this is really going to cause problems for car makers, and I wonder if it's in the steel that boats are built with?

Zinger my boat and didn't fit anodes. Checked after 5+ years and found anodes were not needed. I have had 4 anodes sitting in my locker just in case they may of been needed these are now redundant as far as I am concerned, looks like I may have to release them into the community.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, reg said:

Zinger my boat and didn't fit anodes. Checked after 5+ years and found anodes were not needed. I have had 4 anodes sitting in my locker just in case they may of been needed these are now redundant as far as I am concerned, looks like I may have to release them into the community.

My old ones are still on and the new ones are visible hardly any deterioration, its coming out next year so will know better then 

50 minutes ago, reg said:

Where about is your boat? Does the locker have a padlock? Any CCTV cameras over looking the area?

• Haha 1