26 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

1 d4 d5  2 c4 Nf6  3 cxd5 Nxd5   4 Nf3 c6   5 e4 Nb6

6 Nc3 e6  7 Bf4 Bb4  8 Bd3 0-0  9 a3 Bxc3+ 10 bxc3 N6d7

11 Qc2 g6  12 e5 b6  13 h4  Bb7  14 h5 c5 15 Be4 Bxe4

16 Qxe4 Na6 17 Ng5 Qe7 18 Nxh7 Kg7 19 Bg5 Qxg5  20 Nxg5 Rae8

21 hxg6 Rh8 22 gxf7 Rxh1+ 23 Ke2 Rhh8

24 fxe8=N+

..1-0

I can’t see anyway out which ever way I look, checkmate’s only a couple of moves away.

Enjoyed the game, thanks.

fancy another ?

chess24.jpg.a690240826afabac1a591fd87c5fcd65.jpgYes that was fun ...

"  ...checkmate’s only a couple of moves away."

Yes, I wonder if we have anyone following our moves ...

For those interested, the four possible continuations for Black are: (e&o x)

24 ... Rxe8 25 Qh7+ Kf8 26 Qf7#

24 ... Kg8 25 Qg6+ Kf8 26 Qf7#

24 ... Kh6 25 f4 Rxe8 (else 26 Rh1#) 26 Rh1+ Kg7 27 Qh7+ Kf8 28 Qf7# 

24 ... Kf8 25 Qg6 and the piece sacrifices ... Rh7 and Nxe5 can only delay Qf7#

therefore 25 ... Ke7 26 Qxe6+ Kd8 27 Nf7+ Kc8 28 Qc6+ Kb8 (28 ... Nc7 29 Qxc7#) 29 Nfd6 any

30 Qb7#

... fun but exhausting. I've not played a game across-a-board for thirty years, and even then only for 'works' teams since I made a deliberate decision in 1972 to give up chess in favour of canalling.So I'm very rusty at analysing the positions, and I've been rerunning my thoughts lest I blundered.

In the far-off days of playing three-evenings each week, weekends and BH congresses, I enjoyed the mental challenge of it all, and it was OK when I was on-form, but I particularly remember travelling-for-ages to play a County game, and across the board was an eight-year-old who was really good, and I just swindled a draw-by-repeated-checks. But I was never going to be that good. In those fifty years computers have overtaken all the world's Grandmasters, every opening in every Master game in recorded history is available online, the Grauniad doesn't do a chess-column any more, and our small child (bigger than me but once small), who isn't particularly interested in chess, yesterday pressed a few buttons and produced a summary of our game with analyses of what we did right and what we did wrong: see here . All that time analysing positions, when I could have been adding to Tonic 🙂 

So when our boats cross under a blind bridge somewhere, we can get out some mooring stakes, and board-and-pieces for that return game, and send the rest of the crews to t'pub ...

btw in about five hundred games in my youth I have never promoted a pawn to a Knight before so thanks for continuing far enough to let me do that!

Edited by PeterScott
aha, more to the Kf8 line-of-play needed...

31 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

chess24.jpg.a690240826afabac1a591fd87c5fcd65.jpg

Yes that was fun ...

"  ...checkmate’s only a couple of moves away."

Yes, I wonder if we have anyone following our moves ...

For those interested, the four possible continuations for Black are: (e&o x)

24 ... Rxe8 25 Qh7+ Kf8 26 Qf7#

24 ... Kg8 25 Qg6+ Kf8 26 Qf7#

24 ... Kf8 25 Qg6 and the piece sacrifices ... Rh7 and Nxe5 can only delay Qf7#

24 ... Kh6 25 f4 Rxe8 (else 26 Rh1#) 26 Rh1+ Kg7 27 Qh7+ Kf8 28 Qf7# 

... fun but exhausting. I've not played a game across-a-board for thirty years, and even then only for 'works' teams since I made a deliberate decision in 1972 to give up chess in favour of canalling.So I'm very rusty at analysing the positions, and I've been rerunning my thoughts lest I blundered.

In the far-off days of playing three-evenings each week, weekends and BH congresses, I enjoyed the mental challenge of it all, and it was OK when I was on-form, but I particularly remember travelling-for-ages to play a County game, and across the board was an eight-year-old who was really good, and I just swindled a draw-by-repeated-checks. But I was never going to be that good. In those fifty years computers have overtaken all the world's Grandmasters, every opening in every Master game in recorded history is available online, the Grauniad doesn't do a chess-column any more, and our small child (bigger than me but once small), who isn't particularly interested in chess, yesterday pressed a few buttons and produced a summary of our game with analyses of what we did right and what we did wrong: see here . All that time analysing positions, when I could have been adding to Tonic 🙂 

So when our boats cross under a blind bridge somewhere, we can get out some mooring stakes, and board-and-pieces for that return game, and send the rest of the crews to t'pub ...

btw in about five hundred games in my youth I have never promoted a pawn to a Knight before so thanks for continuing far enough to let me do that!

I don’t play much

A friend did convince me to play a few times for Falmouth but I quickly realised I was well out my depth. 
And I’ve never been too sure of the notation (thank for the corrections 😃) which kind of put me off too.

I liked playing with clocks though. 

If I’d played another move, I was considering  Kh6 .....which was just delaying the inevitable to 3(?) moves.

I did think about chucking it in earlier but I wanted to see it play out a bit further, and learn from the game. 
I’ll take a look at the analyses.

Thanks again 👍 

• Happy 1

• 9 months later...

A club match is not quite the same as a competition, on the grounds that rather than one individual winning, the entire group wins or loses in light of how every one of the players in that group did. At the point when one Club difficulties another Club, the individuals who decide to join the battle will be matched against individuals from the restricting club in view of their position, and many other option available for example can pawns move backwards

Edited by jennifeer