Towpath Chess Clubs??

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm new to living on the canals so just wondering if anyone has heard of a chess club in the canal network, or will I just have to sit outside my boat with a sign and wait for someone to sit down for a game. Is there anyone else interested in a towpath chess club? Cheers

Welcome to the forum. It sounds a long shot - but I have heard of pubs where chess is played, whether any of them are waterside I don't know. But somebody on here will know.

Edited by Athy

46 minutes ago, DanielnDorothy said:

Hi, I'm new to living on the canals so just wondering if anyone has heard of a chess club in the canal network, or will I just have to sit outside my boat with a sign and wait for someone to sit down for a game. Is there anyone else interested in a towpath chess club? Cheers

If you're anywhere on the northern or western legs of the Warwickshire ring next week make sure your sign is out because I'll stop for a game. Haven't played in years but I used to be good. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If you're anywhere on the northern or western legs of the Warwickshire ring next week make sure your sign is out because I'll stop for a game. Haven't played in years but I used to be good. 

30 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I'm in the same boat. Used to be fairly good but haven't played for some time. Will be interesting to see where I'm at now. I'd like to build a list of contacts along the canals. I thought it would be great to be playing again. If I see your boat I'll be sure to message you. 

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If you are in the same boat, you can play @Captain Pegg right now! Sorry, couldn't resist.😀

Welcome to the forum by the way.

I noted that phrase and wondered if it was wise on a forum such as this...

Seems like it'd be a no score draw anyway. I had thought maybe I'd volunteered myself for a four move checkmate thrashing having not played in years.

• 2 weeks later...

I  play on Lichess app, started earlier this year after a long absence. Absolute rubbish at it now, can't remember Any of the openings, make stupid mistakes and constantly loose games I should of won. Still enjoy it though.

Just had a thought why not set up either a chess ladder or a chess club in the virtual Pub?

Info on setting up a virtual club on lichess here

https://lichess.org/blog/XnEFmRAAAB4A7WU7/running-your-chess-club-online

Or maybe just a simple chess ladder on a sticky thread?

Needs someone who is willing to spend a little time on setting it up and running it. I am ruling myself out by the way.

If set up correctly there shoukd be ni reason why members couldn't arrange to play games in person occasionally rather than just playing virtual.

Just random thoughts.

Edited by reg

• 1 month later...
On 26/12/2021 at 23:52, PD1964 said:

There must be somewhere on the internet you can play via internet link, which would be more interesting as you could play anyone from around the world at any time day or night.

Chess.com.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2021 at 18:24, DanielnDorothy said:

I am interested in learning more about clones for clubs. Please direct me to good sources of data on clubs.

There are several websites that allow remote games of chess but I don't know what group/chat functionality they have.

Ideally somebody here should create a boaters group so that they can play chess remotely but also meet up for a real game when their paths cross.

I have seen chess clubs at:

Navigation?  Sowerby Bridge (a sort of speed chess organised by a boater)

Golden Lion Todmorden (Rochdale canal)

Waterfront bar  Pewsey (K&A)

There is a table with an inlaid chess board in the Holy Inadequate. Never seen it used but it would be rather fun to try.