Canal & River Trust to receive over £1.4m for major works from Government's Heritage Stimulus Fund

Ray T

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I walked that whole length in about 1974, and at that time I'm pretty sure the canal was in water, but full of rubbish, all the way from Hawne Basin (then empty and disused) through to Mucklow Hill. And then in water through Leasowes Park to Manor Way.  Has some of that been filled in since?

I think so, yes

image.png.ac24435039369c68afea19dee93f8e22.png

Edited by doratheexplorer

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

The cost would still be prohibitive for the possible benefit.  It's still a non-starter IMO.  Who in their right mind is going to pay for this?

Excavating that length of canal would still be costly.  You'd probably have to drop the towpath too, for safety reasons, and in doing so create a mugging hotspot.

Without wishing to pre-empt any solution that may be chosen, for much of the length from Tup Street to Bradley top lock the canal is at the top of an embankment on one side, and it would end up on a shelf half way down it. Not as big a problem. 

Curiously the restoration report that I (or rather we - I do have staff!) prepared was originally going to be commissioned by the Wildlife Trust as they were looking at increasing biodiversity - they were very happy to get a navigable canal out of it. In the end it was commissioned by CRT on behalf of the regional partnership, but the brief remained the same 

Edited by magpie patrick