Information about The Alcott family

bluebrummie

Featured Posts

Hi.  I am new here so I hope I have put this post in the right place, it is my first one!

The Alcott's in my family, on my Mom’s side, have a history of canal boating going back to the 1700's. 

My Grandad, Oliver, was born in 1915 on the "Sutherland", Hay Basin, Broad Street, Wolverhampton. His father, my Great Grandfather, Albert is on his birth certificate as a canal boatman. 

When my mom, Beatrice, was born in Wolverhampton 1936, Oliver was down on her birth certificate as a canal boatman for carrying company. 

On Oliver's death certificate in 1940, he is down as a Wharf Labourer for coal merchant. 

I know it is a long shot but I would love to find any information and old photo's of the canal boats Oliver and the Alcott Family before him lived on and the companies they worked for but I don't know where to start?

Can anyone please help me?

Regards,

Frank.

Alcott - or any obvious derivative - is not a name I can find in any of my records but a boat named SUTHERLAND belonging to the Shropshire Union Railways & Canal Company was gauged for the Birmingham Canal Navigations in 1896. This information can be found on the BCNS website.

The listed fleet number is 481 which fits with numbers in a list of the post-1899 SURCCo fleet published in Summer 2010 edition of Narrow Boat magazine. That list doesn't include SUTHERLAND as it only covers boats that joined the fleet from 1899 onwards. It also fits timewise with the birth of Oliver Alcott and with the information that he was born on a boat as this is a long distance cabin boat in which the steerer plus family (and/or mate) would have been resident at least when in transit if not as their home (which was not as common as is often supposed).

It may help if the OP knows of any other family names of boaters within the wider family.

Edited by Captain Pegg

The Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Co was disposed of by the London & North Western Railway with some boats passing to the Midland & Coast Carrying. For Olver to work on boats and be in Wolverhampton it may be possible that he worked for the MCCCo. The other local firm was Fellows, Morton & Clayton, which took over the MCCCo, but not neccessarily all the staff.

Yet on looking up Albert Alcott (Allcott) on the 1911 Census he was on the WINCONSIN as master moored at Anderton Wharf, Burslem

Ten years earlier he was mate on the FANCY Thomas Hyde master moored at Welshpool Wharf which was a Shropshire Union depot

In 1939 he, Albert, was a general labourer at a coal wharf in Wolverhampton and it seems he died aged 80

Oliver had several siblings on the 1939 record he was unemployed living in Wolverhampton married to Beatrice

Did Oliver have health issues ?

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

The Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Co was disposed of by the London & North Western Railway with some boats passing to the Midland & Coast Carrying. For Olver to work on boats and be in Wolverhampton it may be possible that he worked for the MCCCo. The other local firm was Fellows, Morton & Clayton, which took over the MCCCo, but not neccessarily all the staff.

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Yet on looking up Albert Alcott (Allcott) on the 1911 Census he was on the WINCONSIN as master moored at Anderton Wharf, Burslem

Ten years earlier he was mate on the FANCY Thomas Hyde master moored at Welshpool Wharf which was a Shropshire Union depot

In 1939 he, Albert, was a general labourer at a coal wharf in Wolverhampton and it seems he died aged 80

Oliver had several siblings on the 1939 record he was unemployed living in Wolverhampton married to Beatrice

I believe FANCY was an SUR&CCo boat so it all paints the picture of (part of) a family engaged in long distance carrying for the SUR&CCo until and probably beyond the disposal of it's fleet in the early 1920s.

What do you know of the WISCONSIN?

On 22/10/2021 at 00:18, MtB said:

Welcome Frank.

You probably are in the right place despite no replies so far. There is an incredibly deep knowledge here. @jeannette-smith-harrison might know, she is a mine of knowledge.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/profile/8273-jeannette-smith-harrison/

Thank you. 🙂

On 22/10/2021 at 05:55, dave moore said:

Lorna York also holds a considerable archive of working boat families. I can’t help immediately but I should be able to do so soon, if it’s of interest.

Thank you Dave. 🙂 

Edited by bluebrummie
Did it wrong!

On 21/10/2021 at 21:50, bluebrummie said:

Hi.  I am new here so I hope I have put this post in the right place, it is my first one!

The Allcott's in my family, on my Mom’s side, have a history of canal boating going back to the 1700's. 

My Grandad, Oliver, was born in 1915 on the "Sutherland", Hay Basin, Broad Street, Wolverhampton. His father, my Great Grandfather, Albert is on his birth certificate as a canal boatman. 

When my mom, Beatrice, was born in Wolverhampton 1936, Oliver was down on her birth certificate as a canal boatman for carrying company. 

On Oliver's death certificate in 1940, he is down as a Wharf Labourer for coal merchant. 

I know it is a long shot but I would love to find any information and old photo's of the canal boats Oliver and the Alcott Family before him lived on and the companies they worked for but I don't know where to start?

Can anyone please help me?

Regards,

Frank.

I never realised I missed an L out of Allcott.  It was late when I posted this.  Also please note as far as I know the boaties in my family go back to the 1700's. I was told there is a history of boaties in my family. I was wrong to presume they go back to the 1700's and reaIise I should have reworded my post above a bit differently.  However, because many may not have been born on a boat doesn't mean to say they didn't own one or work on one. Without a lot of birth or death certificates, sadly I can not confirm anything.  I can't seem to change this or the title so my apologies.  I am new to this site.

Edited by bluebrummie

On 22/10/2021 at 13:39, Captain Pegg said:

Alcott - or any obvious derivative - is not a name I can find in any of my records but a boat named SUTHERLAND belonging to the Shropshire Union Railways & Canal Company was gauged for the Birmingham Canal Navigations in 1896. This information can be found on the BCNS website.

The listed fleet number is 481 which fits with numbers in a list of the post-1899 SURCCo fleet published in Summer 2010 edition of Narrow Boat magazine. That list doesn't include SUTHERLAND as it only covers boats that joined the fleet from 1899 onwards. It also fits timewise with the birth of Oliver Alcott and with the information that he was born on a boat as this is a long distance cabin boat in which the steerer plus family (and/or mate) would have been resident at least when in transit if not as their home (which was not as common as is often supposed).

It may help if the OP knows of any other family names of boaters within the wider family.

Thank you. 🙂 I never realised I missed an L out of Allcott so apologies if it caused confusion! I have a birth certificate of Albert Allcott, born 1843.  It doesn't say it is a boat he is born on but I don't know what it is? I can't underderstand the writing. I have relatives born at Canal Street in Wolverhampton, I don't know if that is any relevence? The only other relative that I know of born on a boat is Minnie Allcott, born on 12th May 1904 aboard Canal Boat Snap.  Ellesmere Port ,Wirral. 

Albert Allcott Birth 1843.jpg

Minnie Allcott Birth.jpg

Oliver Allcott Birth 1915.jpg

On 22/10/2021 at 13:54, Heartland said:

Thank you. 🙂 

On 22/10/2021 at 14:21, Heartland said:

Thanks.  Oliver sadly died only aged 24 of TB. 😔 Albert Charles did indeed die aged 80. His Dad died aged 70.  

Albert Charles Allcott Death.jpg

Oliver Allcott Death 1940.jpg

Albert Allcott Death.jpg

On 22/10/2021 at 15:51, Captain Pegg said:

I believe FANCY was an SUR&CCo boat so it all paints the picture of (part of) a family engaged in long distance carrying for the SUR&CCo until and probably beyond the disposal of it's fleet in the early 1920s.

What do you know of the WISCONSIN?

Thank you. 🙂 I do not know anything about the Wisconsin?

This is my Mom Beatrice Mary when she was about 4 years old in 1940 with my Nan Beatrice Violet Allcott.  This was taken somewhere in Wolverhampton (as far as I know) near their boat (name unknown). 🙂 xxxx

Sadly her Dad Oliver Allcott died not long after this photo was taken, aged only 24 of TB. 😔 

Beatrice M Allcott and Beatrice V Allcott - Canalside, Wolverhampton, 1940.jpg

Edited by bluebrummie

2 hours ago, bluebrummie said:

Thank you. 🙂 I never realised I missed an L out of Allcott so apologies if it caused confusion! I have a birth certificate of Albert Allcott, born 1843.  It doesn't say it is a boat he is born on but I don't know what it is? I can't underderstand the writing. I have relatives born at Canal Street in Wolverhampton, I don't know if that is any relevence? The only other relative that I know of born on a boat is Minnie Allcott, born on 12th May 1904 aboard Canal Boat Snap.  Ellesmere Port ,Wirral. 

Albert Allcott Birth 1843.jpg

Minnie Allcott Birth.jpg

Oliver Allcott Birth 1915.jpg

Thank you. 🙂 

I would say that Albert was born at Hartshill, which is on the Coventry Canal.

40 minutes ago, bluebrummie said:

I forgot to show you this Captain Pegg. I have the marriage certificate of my Great Aunt Minnie Allcott from 1923 and her and her husband John Pountney were living on a boat but I can not make out the name of it? 

John Pountney & Minnie Allcott Marriage.jpg

Cardigan?

Sorry not been a lot of help as having roof & floor repairs & most stuff is in storage at the moment  but will get back to  as soon as i have access to my info . Mary nee Green  if my memory is correct is part of my Green   links if this is correct also connects with the Boswell   

On 24/10/2021 at 01:04, bluebrummie said:

I forgot to show you this Captain Pegg. I have the marriage certificate of my Great Aunt Minnie Allcott from 1923 and her and her husband John Pountney were living on a boat but I can not make out the name of it? 

John Pountney & Minnie Allcott Marriage.jpg

I'd suggest that boat name is "Cardigan".

3 hours ago, BuckbyLocks said:

May well be a different branch of the family, but there was a W Allcott working for GUCCC during WW2 on Arcas and Malus. I understood their family lived at Stowe Hill Wharf before the A5 was 'modernised' and a few years ago there were still Allcotts in Braunston. One worked for BW.

Thank you. 🙂 I do have a William Allcott in my family tree but he was born in 1884 so not sure if it is the same one?