Unusual way of sealing a window

Featured Posts

See attached photo - this resourceful boater has sealed a leaking window by sticking a thin plastic sheet over it and the surrounding area. It looks like the plastic is a carefully cut council recycling bag.

Question is, how did they stick it on? The boater wasn't around for me to ask.

It might be worth a try on Juno's front windows, at least as a quick and temporary fix.

Unlike this one, they aren't intended to open either. 

Thoughts? 

20211020_074053.jpg

My car as just been written off and I have been to collect personal items before going to salvage, The rear tailgate was smashed and they had put clear plastic over it sealed to the surrounding bodywork. It is clear and stuck like **** to a blanket

• Sad 1

When we had an encounter with a fallen tree that demolished a front cabin window, the good people at Northwich boatyard made us temporarily weathertight pending repairs using a sticky plastic sheet that came on large rolls. It's sold for protecting carpets during decorating, apparently. Presumably like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-carpet-protection-roll-25m-x-500mm/72304

MP.

Thanks guys, all good info.

As the plastic in the photo contains the words "Staffordshire Moorlands" and ""recycling" I'd assumed that someone had cut up a bin bag and stuck it on, but think about it Staffordshire Moorlands council may have need of branded sticky backed plastic 

(If I use sticky backed plastic do I need to ask the Blue Peter TV team to help?)  

On 21/10/2021 at 18:23, ditchcrawler said:

My car as just been written off and I have been to collect personal items before going to salvage, The rear tailgate was smashed and they had put clear plastic over it sealed to the surrounding bodywork. It is clear and stuck like **** to a blanket

i know your car broke down on the way home from your last boating trip. was the problem terminal or  was it involved in an accident? 

So, in summary, pre-sticky platsic is available that can be stuck to the window - there would appear to be two issues. First, if I can't get it to seal at the top leakage may eventually occur as water gets down the back, second it could be the devils own job to get it off again. In the long run I'd like to fix the windows properly, I was hoping for a quick temporary fix that would allow me to get on with other things, ah well...

23 hours ago, Loddon said:

Depends on which era of BP presenters you were thinking of asking 😉

Lesley Judd would be my personaly preference....  :wub:

What about vinyl wrap? Or that stuff they put on new cars to protect the paint.

I have no idea about how well it would work but as they put it on with water I assume its not too hard to remove. Although as Ive never seen it peeling off a wrapped car that does 70mph either it maybe not that easy.

Just a thought...