0.5l cordless kettle 240v

Richard10002

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Is it for use while the boat is moored on shore power or does the small capacity equate to small kW output that can be run from the batteries/inverter? I wouldn't do that anyway.

It takes the same Ah from your batteries to heat a given quantity of water, whatever the rating of the kettle. Only issue would be the rating of the inverter.

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124949342455

0.6 litre cordless 240v kettle. 

We had one like this, not sure if the brand name was the same but it looked virtually identical to the one in your picture. They're usually sold as "travel kettles" because they're compact enough to put in your luggage, as we did when we used to travel abroad. I don't quite gwt the O.P.'s "cordless" requirement; if the kettle itself doesn't have a cord or lead, it fits on to a base which does, so what's the difference?

If you find a cordless model that boils in 3-4 mins do let us know.

I recently bought a 1000 watt 0.5 litre corded model, and its not ideal having to unplug it and then have the very short lead dragging the plug around the worktop, through occasional patches of water, etc. 

My solution was to leave the electric kettle in situ, and to use my gas kettle to fill it.

I was thinking about making the cable two feet longer so that it will reach the sink, but I'm very hesitant as there is usually a good reason for the sizing of cables.

I'm sure you'll have considered this, but just in case- if your batteries have run down below 50% overnight the voltage might be around say 13v (depending on whether you have much stuff running in the mornings).

What happens with me is that the sudden pull of 80 amps for the kettle drags down the battery voltage to 12.8 or 12.9v. 

If your SoC is lower still, you might risk tripping your low voltage disconnect.

I got round this potential issue by using the BMV712 to set a 5 minute delay on the low voltage disconnect (the kettle boils in 3 mins), but not sure if the battery protect allows a delay. 

16 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I'm sure you'll have considered this, but just in case- if your batteries have run down below 50% overnight the voltage might be around say 13v (depending on whether you have much stuff running in the mornings).

Sound like your battery has been on charge overnight - maybe you have moon-light sensitive panels ?

A fully charged battery is around the 12.7-12.9 volts area (depending on whose technical details you read) 

On this site 12.73 is viewed as 100% charged, and your suggested 50% S0C is 12.1v

battery-state-of-charge.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Sound like your battery has been on charge overnight - maybe you have moon-light sensitive panels ?

A fully charged battery is around the 12.7-12.9 volts area (depending on whose technical details you read) 

On this site 12.73 is viewed as 100% charged.

battery-state-of-charge.jpg

Ah yes, I ought to have added that my batteries are lithium, like Richard's. 

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Ah yes, I ought to have added that my batteries are lithium, like Richard's. 

That makes sense, but, yes it would be better to explain your battery type as you are currently in a very small minority of boaters and it would be assumed (as I did) that without stating the type you are talking about 'normal' (FLA) batteries.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

We had one like this, not sure if the brand name was the same but it looked virtually identical to the one in your picture. They're usually sold as "travel kettles" because they're compact enough to put in your luggage, as we did when we used to travel abroad. I don't quite gwt the O.P.'s "cordless" requirement; if the kettle itself doesn't have a cord or lead, it fits on to a base which does, so what's the difference?

Of the cup is more than a few inches away it's awkward to do it with a kettle with lead attached. If it is a cordless ie separate base then you can transport the kettle as far as you want. 

Seems a pretty big advantage to me. 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just because it is 760w, why should that make it 'energy saving' ?

It will just use exactly the same energy (maybe slightly more) and will take 3 times as long as a 2kw kettle. 

SWMBO struggles with this concept.

Perhaps referring to some people's tendency to fill the kettle right up regardless of how much water you need at the time. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Perhaps referring to some people's tendency to fill the kettle right up regardless of how much water you need at the time. 

Do people really do that ?

We tip 2 mugs of water into the kettle to boil 'just enough', after a few times you know the 'level' of 2-mugs and can just fill straight from the tap.

Maybe I was brought up differently, switch lights off when you leave a room (unless there is someone else in the room), don't leave things on 'standby', close doors, only boil enough water for what you want to do watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves etc etc.

• Greenie 2

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It will just use exactly the same energy (maybe slightly more) and will take 3 times as long as a 2kw kettle. 

The marketing people have this about right.  750w is, when compared to 2kw, an energy saving.  But it won't be power saving when boiling the same quantity of water.

11 minutes ago, Tacet said:

The marketing people have this about right.  750w is, when compared to 2kw, an energy saving.  But it won't be power saving when boiling the same quantity of water.

No. 750W is a power saving compared with 2 kW. But the energy consumed to get a given quantity of water by a particular temperature difference is the same.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And does SWMBO struggle with the concept that if she walks at 1 mile per hour rather than 3 miles per hour it will take three times as long to get to her destination?

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Of the cup is more than a few inches away it's awkward to do it with a kettle with lead attached. If it is a cordless ie separate base then you can transport the kettle as far as you want. 

Seems a pretty big advantage to me. 

Not to me: I learned years ago how to unplug a kettle from its wall socket, making such transportation easy. I also learned how to position the cups close to the kettle. For a chap who's not especially practical, I reckon I've done quite well.