Jump to content

Are Narrowboats getting uglier?


PD1964

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I do not know but is it to do with the English language 

1 staff, 2 staves

So, your suggesting that "staves" is simply the plural of "staff"? That's possible I suppose, but "stave" can also be singular - for example a musical stave.

Edited by Athy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So, your suggesting that "staves" is simply the plural of "staff"? That's possible I suppose, but "stave" can also be singular - for example a musical stave.

 

The same uncertainties and arguments over the use of staff or stave for the singular of staves "rages" in the musical world too ... my 1930s Shorter Oxford allows stave, describing it as a back formation from staves, the plural of staff. It also allows "staffs", presumably as in "Staves and Worcs Canal"

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Richard Carter said:

 

The same uncertainties and arguments over the use of staff or stave for the singular of staves "rages" in the musical world too ... my 1930s Shorter Oxford allows stave, describing it as a back formation from staves, the plural of staff. It also allows "staffs", presumably as in "Staves and Worcs Canal"

...and Bickerstaves Narrowboats?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Athy said:

So, your suggesting that "staves" is simply the plural of "staff"? That's possible I suppose, but "stave" can also be singular - for example a musical stave.

 

You conjure up an image in my mind of musicians fighting each other using their staves as weapons....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

You conjure up an image in my mind of musicians fighting each other using their staves as weapons....

Sounds like a fair description of avant-garde jazz.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Staff can also be plural.

 

The staff of both schools .........

 

We employ three part time staff .........

 

He is  a member of staff ...............

 

"The staves of both schools disagreed" Doesn't quite flow.

 

 

Staff(meaning a collection of employees) is both the singular and plural of the noun. Staff is a collective noun so you need to think if the staff are ...

Edited by Alan de Enfield
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Staff can also be plural.

 

The staff of both schools .........

 

We employ three part time staff .........

 

He is  a member of staff ...............

 

"The staves of both schools disagreed" Doesn't quite flow.

Hmmm...in that sense it's a collective noun, which is singular.

But "the STAFFS of both schools" is plural.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Staff can also be plural.

 

The staff of both schools .........

 

We employ three part time staff .........

 

He is  a member of staff ...............

 

"The staves of both schools disagreed" Doesn't quite flow.

 

 

Plural of "fish" gets difficult, too. 

 

Normally the same word is used for the plural, but not when used to describe breeds of fish. 

 

E.g. The chef used three fishes in the pie; cod, salmon and hake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PD1964 said:

I wouldn’t worry about the bible preacher who thinks the sun shines out of the “Foxes afloat Arse’s” He hasn’t a clue.

I'm not a bible preacher (at least in the sense I guess you mean) but I do believe that the sun shines out of most people somewhere - of course there may be an exception.

 

Actually, with regard to memorials I do have a little bit of a clue but others may well have more. If noddyboater had said 'churchyard' then he would generally be right as most diocesan authorities (who set the rules for what can be put in a parish churchyard) explicitly ban such things, even if sometimes the rules are broken - believe me, that's a nightmare scenario!) However, cemeteries run by the local authority are often much more relaxed especially when it comes to matters that are identifiably cultural or ethnic in origin.

 

The old Victorian burial companies allowed a wide variety of constructions - which is part of the reason that their initial bumper profits turned sour when  the memorials started to fall down and become a danger. However, this is why places such as Highgate are such intriguing places.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

However, cemeteries run by the local authority are often much more relaxed especially when it comes to matters that are identifiably cultural or ethnic in origin.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.