Are Narrowboats getting uglier?

PD1964

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Wood (oak) below the gunwales, light panels (self-coloured IIRC, not painted) above it (with oak trim), light Corian worktops (and probably sink -- more practical than stainless steel), light roof.

This kind of thing (from Finesse website) but maybe slightly different colours, and maybe oak (not painted) doors in the kitchen -- and a very different layout...

Finesse-7.jpg

But what is the outside like

40 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

What type of interior are you going for if you don’t mind me asking, light airy IKEA style painted panels with light coloured worktops or wood panels with dark worktops?

Do you actually now what an Ikea kitchen looks like?

I suspect you are referring wrongly to Shaker style units when you mention Ikea.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Worktops made from wider and longer pieces of wood, planks up to say 4m in length by 130mm width,  instead of your butchers block type smaller individual pieces. With full stave you get a more consistent grain and colour, instead of it looking more random/bitty.

E r, thank you, but that doesn't explain what this "stave" is.

57 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Do you actually now what an Ikea kitchen looks like?

I suspect you are referring wrongly to Shaker style units when you mention Ikea.

No modern style, sleek handles, painted doors, nice clean lines. A generally more modern look. Like what @IanD is having, similar to most if not all of their customers have. 

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

E r, thank you, but that doesn't explain what this "stave" is.

The staves are the pieces of wood that are glued together to make the worktop, from what I can gather. Full stave being the full length wide staves.

Edited by PD1964

34 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The staves are the pieces of wood that are glued together to make the worktop, from what I can gather. Full stave being the full length wide staves.

Ah, gotcha, That's today's new word - or rather, word usage.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, gotcha, That's today's new word - or rather, word usage.

stave

(stāv)

n.
a. A narrow strip of wood forming part of the sides of a barrel, tub, or similar structure.
b. One of the wooden planks in a stave wall.
2. A rung of a ladder or chair.
3. A staff or cudgel.

38 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Scouts used to carry a stave

Yes, I did, though it was known as a "staff".

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

stave

(stāv)

n.
a. A narrow strip of wood forming part of the sides of a barrel, tub, or similar structure.
b. One of the wooden planks in a stave wall.
2. A rung of a ladder or chair.
3. A staff or cudgel.

Very helpful, thank you. I was aware only of no.3.

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

No modern style, sleek handles, painted doors, nice clean lines. A generally more modern look. Like what @IanD is having, similar to most if not all of their customers have. 

The kitchen in the picture Ian posted is Shaker style.

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Apologies to all who may be offended. 

It reminds me of one of those graveyard memorials that stands out like a sore co#k because it's a different colour,  bigger, often tasteless and usually adorned with plastic toys or empty lager cans. 

I think you will find that the kind of memorial you (sort-of) describe is much part of a much wider sub culture and, in some countries, very widespread.

51 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think you will find that the kind of memorial you (sort-of) describe is much part of a much wider sub culture and, in some countries, very widespread.

Not down my local cemetery it isn't, and that's the only country I'm in last time I checked. 

But thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Not down my local cemetery it isn't, and that's the only country I'm in last time I checked. 

But thanks for the info.

I wouldn’t worry about the bible preacher who thinks the sun shines out of the “Foxes afloat Arse’s” He hasn’t a clue.

8 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I wouldn’t worry about the bible preacher who thinks the sun shines out of the “Foxes afloat Arse’s” He hasn’t a clue.

How have you formed the opinion that @Mike Todd thinks the sun shines out of the Foxes Afloat backsides.

I cant recall him making a post that suggests that.

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

You really don’t have a clue about the internal build of Narrowboat’s , totally different to your £25K weekend GRP.

It was a description about the style of kitchen. Nothing to do with boat type.

13 hours ago, noddyboater said:

Think I prefer the interior of the Triana that hasn't come from the IKEA rejects bin.

20220513_135656.jpg

Ah  lots of mahogany and royal blue, or deep red, velvet upholstery.

Classic pleasure boat. 

Not so sure about it for narrowboats though.

Bit of a clash between the working boat heritage, and an upper class pleasure boating heritage.

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

You really don’t have a clue about the internal build of Narrowboat’s , totally different to your £25K weekend GRP.

The last time I looked they were £45k.

https://burtonwaters.co.uk/boats/sealine-s23-sports-cruiser-8295408/

But it is pretty irrelevant since we sold it over 12 months ago and bought a £60k motorhome instead.

Not that any of that is relevant to materials used in a boat build.