Are Narrowboats getting uglier?

PD1964

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Don't like the colour.  Reminds me of a pikey gravestone. 

The term is considered offensive - I for one would be grateful if you withdrew it. 

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/when-did-pikey-become-offensive

https://www.travellerstimes.org.uk/news/2021/09/pkey-now-considered-highly-offensive-racial-slur-says-new-tv-watchdog-research

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I quite like this little GRP.

20220513_094009.jpg

Not too dissimilar to a Fairey.

Another classic design.

9ffd02b49b12f8ce8053d95ae2699554.jpg.e87f30ea40f3320907e7c7d6e0af2844.jpg

50b215eeb06b7827f19c50b31971ef52.jpg.5f0d9e972872251b68bcadc74b360295.jpg

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

The new “must have” worktop and sink.

A47B46E5-2482-4862-88CE-A1951FD12445.jpeg.6497d627b5f18fc15d00e07df6cf35e8.jpeg

Why on earth would anyone want that?

That is 80's throwback. :lol:

They must have searched long and hard to find a tap that colour!

30 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

The term is considered offensive - I for one would be grateful if you withdrew it. 

Not only that but I believe the traveller community actively tracks discussion forums looking for use of that pejorative word and commonly contact admin to instruct them to remove it. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not only that but I believe the traveller community actively tracks discussion forums looking for use of that pejorative word and commonly contact admin to instruct them to remove it. 

Apologies to all who may be offended. 

It reminds me of one of those graveyard memorials that stands out like a sore co#k because it's a different colour,  bigger, often tasteless and usually adorned with plastic toys or empty lager cans. 

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

Apologies to all who may be offended. 

It reminds me of one of those graveyard memorials that stands out like a sore co#k because it's a different colour,  bigger, often tasteless and usually adorned with plastic toys or empty lager cans. 

...implying what your opinion of travellers is. Just as offensive in a different way... 😞

42 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not too dissimilar to a Fairey.

Another classic design.

9ffd02b49b12f8ce8053d95ae2699554.jpg.e87f30ea40f3320907e7c7d6e0af2844.jpg

50b215eeb06b7827f19c50b31971ef52.jpg.5f0d9e972872251b68bcadc74b360295.jpg

Why on earth would anyone want that?

Yes, definitely of the same design era as the Fairey.  I'm going to have one if I ever have a spare 70k, even if it's only to go from Stockwith to Cromwell and back.

48 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Why on earth would anyone want that?

It’s what people are asking for, clean IKEA style, you’ve got to remember if they haven’t seen nice quality hard wood full stave worktops, they will go with what the builder recommends. I imagine this style will be very popular at Crick.

Edited by PD1964

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

It’s what people are asking for, clean IKEA style, you’ve got to remember if they haven’t seen nice quality hard wood full stave worktops, they will go with what the builder recommends. I imagine this style will be very popular at Crick.

I don't think you are with the times and current interior design trends at all!!

8 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Yes, definitely of the same design era as the Fairey.  I'm going to have one if I ever have a spare 70k, even if it's only to go from Stockwith to Cromwell and back.

There were/are a couple that do just that!

21 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Think I prefer the interior of the Triana that hasn't come from the IKEA rejects bin.

20220513_135656.jpg

33 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't think you are with the times and current interior design trends at all!!

So what is the current design trends on Narrowboats, please tell us since you’ve never had one?

Edited by PD1964

29 minutes ago, Athy said:

What does this mean?

Worktops made from wider and longer pieces of wood, planks up to say 4m in length by 130mm width,  instead of your butchers block type smaller individual pieces. With full stave you get a more consistent grain and colour, instead of it looking more random/bitty.

16 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

So what is the current design trends on Narrowboats, please tell us since you’ve never had one?

Not Ikea, brass taps and Corian work tops that's for sure!

The last steel boat we went on was a nearly new one of these at Southrey.

https://newandusedboat.co.uk/new-boats-for-sale/255

It was fitted out much the same. Not a drop of Ikea or Brass in sight. The worktops are some kind of compressed paper/cardboard that I forget the name of off the top of my head.

Edited by Naughty Cal

7 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Exactly, I’m with you, they do nothing for me in a boat and that tap just looks cheap, but remember these people are often buying their first boat and want their modern house look with matching taps and cupboard handles. 

9 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Exactly, I’m with you, they do nothing for me in a boat and that tap just looks cheap, but remember these people are often buying their first boat and want their modern house look with matching taps and cupboard handles. 

That isn't a modern house look which was my point entirely.

24 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The last steel boat we went on was a nearly new one of these at Southrey.

https://newandusedboat.co.uk/new-boats-for-sale/255

It was fitted out much the same. Not a drop of Ikea or Brass in sight. The worktops are some kind of compressed paper/cardboard that I forget the name of off the top of my head.

Totally different design considerations with a 12-15ft wide Aqualine galley then a 6ft wide Narrowboat galley. They are the size of small apartments, so you can make them look stunning.

Edited by PD1964

Just now, PD1964 said:

Totally different design considerations with a 12-15ft Aqualine galley then a 6ft Narrowboat galley. They are the size of small apartments, so you can make them look stunning.

The discussion was about materials used not the size if the boat. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Well it must be ok to most as this is what most new buyers are asking for

Have you spoken to "most new buyers" and established that they want brass taps, an Ikea fitout and Corian worktops?

I suspect not.

In a kitchen actually used for cooking I wouldn't have wood worktops any more than I'd have copper pans -- too much maintenance, too prone to staining (turmeric!) or scorching from hot pans.

Black granite/corian ones might srill be trendy but make the place look dark. Mine at home are the same light synthetic stone ones I've had for twenty years (before these were trendy) and still look like new, I'd have the same again regardless of fashion 😉

Edited by IanD

6 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Have you spoken to "most new buyers" and established that they want brass taps, an Ikea fitout and Corian worktops?

I suspect not.

They can pick whatever they like, but that worktop is very popular and the interiors very similar, off white sprayed panels with wood trim, taps to individual taste. The light painted IKEA interior and light worktops make for a lighter brighter interior.

Edited by PD1964

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

In a kitchen actually used for cooking I wouldn't have wood worktops any more than I'd have copper pans -- too much maintenance, too prone to staining (turmeric!) or scorching from hot pans.

Black granite/corian ones might srill be trendy but make the place look dark. Mine at home are the same light synthetic stone ones I've had for twenty years (before these were trendy) and still look like new, I'd have the same again regardless of fashion 😉

What type of interior are you going for if you don’t mind me asking, light airy IKEA style painted panels with light coloured worktops or wood panels with dark worktops?

32 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

What type of interior are you going for if you don’t mind me asking, light airy IKEA style painted panels with light coloured worktops or wood panels with dark worktops?

Wood (oak) below the gunwales, light panels (self-coloured IIRC, not painted) above it (with oak trim), light Corian worktops (and probably sink -- more practical than stainless steel), light roof.

This kind of thing (from Finesse website) but maybe slightly different colours (worktops a bit darker), and maybe oak (not painted) doors in the kitchen -- and a very different layout...

Finesse-7.jpg

Edited by IanD