Smashed window

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I had one of my windows smashed last night. 

Now I'm not sure what to do for the best.  It's a very standard hopper window and the larger piece of glass is broken, the opening bit at the top is fine.  Would it make more sense to get the glass replaced, and if so can anyone recommend someone to come and do it in the Birmingham area?  Or would it be cheaper / easier to replace the whole window?  And does anyone know who supplies them?

Thanks in advance!

I suspect it would be easier to fit another one but be aware that the bottom radii tend to differ from make to make. It is perfectly possible to take the frame out, split it and ft new glass but it can be a fiddly job and drilling out screws may be involved. I don't see why it can't be replaced by polycarbonate which you may be able to get cut locally but it will tend to scratch.

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I don't see why it can't be replaced by polycarbonate which you may be able to get cut locally but it will tend to scratch.

The price of polycarbonate seems to have dropped back to more reasonable levels and can actually be obtained again. A year ago it was almost impossible to get as the entire world wanted it for making shops and other places COVID resistant.

• Greenie 1

Just be aware that if the window uses screw holes to fix these are rarely jig drilled so even a window from the same manufacturer may not bolt straight in. It’s not so tricky if they are in a completely new place but sometimes they are half a hole out which is a right pain. 

You might also try a company that does replacement glass for plant as they can often cut to size & get toughened quickly. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

What make of window is it? The manufacturer may have glass the right size in stock. Alternatively your local glass merchant will be able to cut a piece to size, but will need to send it away to be toughened, which will take a few days.

Or just have it cut in laminated glass there and then.

2 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I had one of my windows smashed last night. 

Now I'm not sure what to do for the best.  It's a very standard hopper window and the larger piece of glass is broken, the opening bit at the top is fine.  Would it make more sense to get the glass replaced, and if so can anyone recommend someone to come and do it in the Birmingham area?  Or would it be cheaper / easier to replace the whole window?  And does anyone know who supplies them?

Thanks in advance!

It might help if you are unsure of the manufacturer of the window to post a picture or two...sometimes details like the catches etc can help in the identification as they tend to vary.

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

Channelglaze the boat window manufacturers are based in Birmingham so it may be worth speaking to them, even if just for some advice.

http://www.channelglaze.com/

Out of interest, where in Brum were you moored when you have your window broken?

Someone else has just mentioned channelglaze.  Thanks.

I was moored at Windmill End, on the opposite side to the cafe.  I wasn't on the boat overnight and returned to find it this morning.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

125, and 80 x 65 and 95 x 59 if any good to you

20211019_094531.jpg

I just measured it to the outside of the frame and it's 95 x 57.5cm?  Seems oddly close to one of yours, but not quite.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I've just measured and its 57 x 94.6., smoked glass.

Thanks.  Sounds close enough, but I don't really want smoked glass in the galley.  I'll get back to you if other options fail.

3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

If you have other windows the same size, couldn’t you swap one so that you have a smoked glass one in, say, the bathroom?

or you could sell the boat and buy another that has no broken windows - yes I know that is a stupid comment but replacing items (even car parts) can be very frustrating.

I would be tempted to buy a new window and Nike - "Just Do It" - frustrating drilling new holes and sealing the frame in the cabin side, but a guaranteed result if the overall dimensions match.

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

If you have other windows the same size, couldn’t you swap one so that you have a smoked glass one in, say, the bathroom?

Good idea but my bathroom window is smaller and already smoked. 

I've gone back to my mooring at Hawne Basin and there's a guy here who might have a matching window lying around somewhere.  Fingers crossed.  Otherwise I think I'll give channelglaze a call.

When this happened to us (because I was not positive enough in swinging off a pontoon mooring when there was plenty of fresh coming down the river and managed to clobber the GRP hire cruiser next to us which obviously made it their fault).  The window manufacturer held stocks of their standard sizes and dispatched replacement overnight.  Problem was that the whole frame had to come off in order to fit the new glass.  Drilled out the heads of the self tapping screws in the original fitting and replaced using pop rivets.  That was back in 2007, no problems with that window frame since.

Chris

If its a Caldwells window they don't hold stock glass, and its a long way to Wigan! The last time it happened to me,  Calwells gave me the exact dimensions,  and a local supplier made the new glass in a couple of days. 

Richard 

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Unfortunately, all the window companies currently have very long waiting times for windows, along with materials shortages.

Yes! I ordered a couple of pieces of toughened glass recently (non boat project) and the guy assured me it would be ready in 4-5 days. Took a month and even then he had to drive to the toughener to collect my glass and a couple of other orders, as they were very slow in delivering.

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Yes! I ordered a couple of pieces of toughened glass recently (non boat project) and the guy assured me it would be ready in 4-5 days. Took a month and even then he had to drive to the toughener to collect my glass and a couple of other orders, as they were very slow in delivering.

My new portholes were cast within a week. The glass is a month.

Alec

If the lead times are excessive for toughened glass, then polycarbonate, or acrylic as a temporary replacement is possible. The place I use for plastics in Sheffield is showing 1200mm x 300mm x 4mm acrylic at £23.75 inc vat and £26.51 for polycarbonate. No idea how that compares with toughened glass.