Interesting People On The Canals

harleyj

Featured Posts

All three cross Pennine routes are currently closed, so the only way to Ripon by inland water is via the Trent. Doesn't sound like the ideal level of knowledge, or likely to do the preparation to take on the tidal Trent, or tidal Ouse in Autumn. 😮

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

21 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

All three cross Pennine routes are currently closed, so the only way to Ripon by inland water is via the Trent. Doesn't sound like the ideal level of knowledge, or likely to do the preparation to take on the tidal Trent, or tidal Ouse in Autumn. 😮

Given that he was watching people do the lock to learn how to do locks and single handing I think your assumption is quite correct.

38 minutes ago, haggis said:

This reminds me of sharing going up Knowle locks with another boat  till it came out in conversation that they were going to Stratford. They had to reverse back down.

We had similar going down Hatton, after the first couple of locks I asked the steerer on the boat we were sharing with where they were heading and he said Stratford. We managed to wind them in the next pound and they headed back up the locks.

1 hour ago, harleyj said:

While travelling the canals this year we have met some interesting and wonderful people and made some wonderful new friends. But yesterday I met someone completely lost. This gentleman had just bought his boat from Nantwich and on his first day out I met him at the bottom lock at Hurlston. Nothing strange in that, but when I asked him where he was heading, he astounded me by saying he was heading to "Ripon". I said I think you are going the wrong way, but he assured me someone had told him that the shortest way to get there was via the Llangollen. I eventually convinced him to turn around. I was laughing so much when I caught up with my wife at the bridge that I didn't even get the boats name. Made my day!

That, to me, seems like a really horrible person telling him lies to mislead him.  Mind you, he should have bouhg some maps!

9 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I chap came past us yesterday at Battyeford telling he had recently bought the boat. Asked "do I turn left or right after the lock" If you see a boat named 'Frank' give him a helping hand.

But he may have been going for a pint in the Pear Tree.

We moored behind a boat in Chester who, when chatting, said they were debating whether to go to Ellesmere Port or not (they decided the next day to do that) . They also said they were heading to Hebden Bridge for the winter and when I mentioned the leak on the L & L  (which had happened a couple of days before) they said, yes, they had just heard about it.  Bearing in mind the existing problems on all 3 routes across the Pennines and that winter stoppages were fast approaching they seemed totally unconcerned about how to get to Hebden Bridge. I liked their laid back attitude and thought that is the way to boat. Just toddle along and plan no further than today!

Haggis

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

But he may have been going for a pint in the Pear Tree.

Then there was the hire boat that cruised upstream past the Pear Tree and had to be recued after grounding under the bridge. He told the rescuer he didn't like locks