Anyone in London/london environs up for giving me a hand (££) at the weekend 23rd-25th October?

JustforFun

Featured Posts

So I'm fulfilling an ambition I've had for 25 years (blimey!) and I've bought/am buying a narrowboat.  The boat is in Herts on the Grand Union, and I want to move it to somewhere on the Lea, maybe up to Stanstead Abbots-ish. 

The problem is I have zero experience of boating, that's a lie actually in 1998 I drove a narrowboat for about 15 seconds - I ended up smacking into some lock gates in Islington, I was swiftly removed from command.

The current owner of my boat is going to give me a day of his time on Friday (if current plan goes ahead) and we'll start our cruise through that-London.  However I wouldn't mind some tuition/company on the remaining days.  So if you're a personable individual, skilled in the ways of the inland boater and are able to empart that knowledge to a boating neophyte then please get in touch, I am able to pay for your time. 

I'll be staying on the boat overnight, but expect you'll be going back to your own boat/whatever and then coming back to my boat on the next day.  The boat is 45' long and about 9' wide so shouldn't present too much of a problem size wise anyway.

Hopefully this post is allowed - I guess it's technically an ad - if you need to move it please do

Just go for it - think about all those 1000's nay, 10,000's that hire a boat, have a 10 minute video and a short chat and are sent off on their way.

You will be way ahead of that if the current owner is give you a day of instruction.

Make sure that it is correctly insured (in your name), licenced* and has a BSS and you are 'good to go'.

* When an owner sells a boat the licence is cancelled and the new owner must licence the boat in their name.

To licence the boat you will need an insurance certificate, an in-date BSS and the correct amount of £'s

• Greenie 2

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I have to go it alone (I hate doing things I don't know how to do properly) as you said Alan de Enfield.  And thanks for all the info.  Seems to have been a bit of a hold up getting a gas pipe fitted anyway so may not be this weekend which would be a bit of a shame.

Many thanks - no doubt I'll be back soon.

Where are you setting out from in Herts? A friend has just bought a boat at Harefield and, subject to a few things being sorted, will be moving it down towards London in the very near future. It won't take the whole day to reach his mooring so if timing permits it may be possible to do at least a bit more of the trip, or at least travel in convoy for a bit of it.

Are you aware of the imminent closure of Denham Deep Lock for a month if that affects your plans?

Alec

Edit: no it didn't sink, no it isn't painted London White - it's far nicer than that (and a whole lot more interesting), no he is not joining the endless line of boats in central London - much nicer basin mooring

Edited by agg221

Hey agg221 cor you really put the wind up me.  I hadn't even heard of Denham Lock but checked it up on the map and yeah, it was on the way (leaving from near Watford) and looked at the stoppages and then promptly forgot the date and thought Monday was the 1st of November.  Phew but it's not.  And breath. 

As an FYI anybody reading this thread Denham Lock is closed from 01/11-10/12

1 hour ago, JustforFun said:

Hey agg221 cor you really put the wind up me.  I hadn't even heard of Denham Lock but checked it up on the map and yeah, it was on the way (leaving from near Watford) and looked at the stoppages and then promptly forgot the date and thought Monday was the 1st of November.  Phew but it's not.  And breath. 

As an FYI anybody reading this thread Denham Lock is closed from 01/11-10/12

Leaving on Monday you will be well past Denham Lock - just worth being aware of as a reason not to leave it another week, regardless of the weather.

I think you will be well past by the time we get moving (I will probably go down and give him a hand) but if you do happen across 'The King' then that's him/us depending on exactly when.

Alec