12 volt central heating pumps

swift1894

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

Tried that but it doesn’t work. 

Sometimes it just doesn't. Too many bends, heights not right. There was a thread a week ago with a couple of recommendations for pumps.

I have one of the Amazon link style pumps as a replacement ready for when the solar thermal hot water pump on my boat dies, but it hasn't been used for more than a  couple of days to test if it worked before switching back to the original, which is quieter. Cheap as chips, so if you had a spare ready to go it wouldn't matter much if it only lasted a couple of years. Not tried one of the car coolant pumps, but reckon they could be suitable. Automotive stuff tends to be built for reliability and in high volume, so cost can be reasonable for what you get.

Jen

I've done a few gravity systems and they work well if you get the basics right and a few other things, Thing that concerns me is that I don't know how you use the stove without the pump running. When we lived on boats the stove would be going non stop, 24 hours a day for as long as the weather was cold, we would just bank it up, cover it with a shovel full of ash, turn the air right down and go to work or whatever. The rads would stay warmish for many hours. If the fire did get a bit hot whilst we were out the system would cope perfectly. There is no 12v  system that I know of that could cope with that without a mains supply and a very hot fire with a flat battery is a risky thing.

• Greenie 2

50 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

We have one of those works fine,  but look at the price. When/if ours fails I will try a cheap solar pump.

I seem to remember Bolin pumps were £100 and that was years ago.

Kuranda have a similar one for more money😱

9 minutes ago, swift1894 said:

22mm pipe and 4 feet above boiler output (can’t get higher than the deck head!)

Apart from the fact it is only 22mm pipe I can't see why it would not work. Some say 22mm is sufficient but I understand it needed 28mm plus. Do you have a sketch of how it was laid out?

Is there any chance you did not pre-mix the antifreeze and water before filling the system.  If you did not that may very well   prevent gravity circulation.

On 18/10/2021 at 14:26, Tony Brooks said:

Apart from the fact it is only 22mm pipe I can't see why it would not work. Some say 22mm is sufficient but I understand it needed 28mm plus. Do you have a sketch of how it was laid out?

Is there any chance you did not pre-mix the antifreeze and water before filling the system.  If you did not that may very well   prevent gravity circulation.

Actually it is 28mm but it could be that I didn’t pre-mix the anti freeze. Good point. I’ll have a look at draining the system.