Jump to content

Weed Hatch Prop Fouls


dmr

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, dmr said:

I can see that a wet smelly dog can be a problem, especially when people are eating, and a few young thuggish men do like badly trained staffies etc, and letting your dog sit at the table and lick your plate is maybe pushing it a bit, but dogs are very much part of the pub scene. Many pubs have a jar of dog treats on the bar, one or two provide blankets for the dogs to lie on.

I can live without the 'spoons.

"Well behaved dogs on leads, no children" outside a pub makes me want to go right in.

I think I would preferer wet smelly dog smell to the smell of some people I have come across propping up bars 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Children appear to have little interest in pubs that sell beer rather than food,

 

Not me, I was fascinated with them from the age of about seven. Dark, mysterious fascinating places with atmosphere in spades whenever I got to see in the door of one, and that oh so intoxicating smell of beer and fags that wafted out.... DIVINE!!!!

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Children appear to have little interest in pubs that sell beer rather than food,

 

Not me, I was fascinated with them from the age of about seven. Dark, mysterious fascinating places with atmosphere in spades whenever I got to see in the door of one, and that oh so intoxicating smell of beer and fags that wafted out.... DIVINE!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Not me, I was fascinated with them from the age of about seven. Dark, mysterious fascinating places with atmosphere in spades whenever I got to see in the door of one, and that oh so intoxicating smell of beer and fags that wafted out.... DIVINE!!!!

 

 

There was always something magical about walking past an open public bar door on a cold wet day and getting hit by that blast of hot air smelling of beer and ciggy smoke.

I was thinking only recently if it might be possible to use some giant vape machine to make a sort of harmless fog to recreate a proper public bar ambience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Children should have to sit outside in the car drinking vimto and eating crisps. 
The good old days 👍

 

Not so long ago, 25 to 30 ago I used to drink with me dad in a club in Nuneaton. Women were not permitted at the bar, could not become a member and no way we’re they allowed to play the snooker. The not so good days.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Children should have to sit outside in the car drinking vimto and eating crisps. 
The good old days 👍

 

Not so long ago, 25 to 30 ago I used to drink with me dad in a club in Nuneaton. Women were not permitted at the bar, could not become a member and no way we’re they allowed to play the snooker. The not so good days.  

I thought the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act had put a stop to that sort of discrimination long before that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m much happier with dogs in pubs…including those that serve food…than annoying children running riot with parents who think they have some given right and object when you criticise their feral offspring. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I’m much happier with dogs in pubs…including those that serve food…than annoying children running riot with parents who think they have some given right and object when you criticise their feral offspring. 

I would agree with that apart from, I would expand it to say I don't mind children, I was one once, but I do strongly object to those you mention.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I would agree with that apart from, I would expand it to say I don't mind children, I was one once, but I do strongly object to those you mention.

It may come as no surprise that I didn’t like other children even when I was a child myself….

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I thought the 1975 Sex Discrimination Act had put a stop to that sort of discrimination long before that.

 

I also remember working mens clubs where women could not be served at the bar, maybe about 30 years ago, we were not even members, had just hired the place for an evening but the rules still applied.

 

At my old Southampton local two lesbians were told to leave because they were snogging. They made a lot of fuss and tried to get the media involved but the landlord stood his ground "same rules for everybody, no snogging in the public bar, if you want to do stuff like that then move to the lounge bar"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Children should have to sit outside in the car drinking vimto and eating crisps. 
The good old days 👍

 

 

^^^This^^^

 

My mum and dad would nip into a pub and leave me and my sis squabbling on the leather back seat of the Ford Zodiac, then they would bring us out a bottle of Coca Cola and TWO STRAWS, EACH! Such strong, evocative childhood memories...

 

Never got crisps though.... so hard done by

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dmr said:

 

I also remember working mens clubs where women could not be served at the bar, maybe about 30 years ago, we were not even members, had just hired the place for an evening but the rules still applied.

 

At my old Southampton local two lesbians were told to leave because they were snogging. They made a lot of fuss and tried to get the media involved but the landlord stood his ground "same rules for everybody, no snogging in the public bar, if you want to do stuff like that then move to the lounge bar"

The second para is fair enough no discrimination at all.   However I remember certain unions having to merge a female union and a male union because of the act.  An example from teaching the National Association of School Masters had to merge with the Union of Women Teachers.  They also had to keep both in the new name so the rather clumsily names National  Association of Schoolmaster, Union of Women Teachers was formed now generally just referred to as the NASUWT.

 

In fact IIRC they merged in 1974 because the act was on its way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

 

^^^This^^^

 

My mum and dad would nip into a pub and leave me and my sis squabbling on the leather back seat of the Ford Zodiac, then they would bring us out a bottle of Coca Cola and TWO STRAWS, EACH! Such strong, evocative childhood memories...

 

Never got crisps though.... so hard done by

Luxury. We had to walk 2 miles to the pub sit outside in the rain. One drink and a packet of crisps to share between four of us. We thought it was crap. 🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, MtB said:

Anyone recognise this pub?

 

image.png.3781e1c75a2dc5f8666ab06185273fc2.png

 

Its now quite a popular gimmick though these look to be copper plated/painted rather than just stainless (can you copper plate stainless?).

I worry about all those sharp edges.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, MtB said:

Anyone recognise this pub?

 

 

 

 

If that's the draught I'd go somewhere else.

 

They always used to say that the 'Shipstones' beer changed its taste & the product improved when they finally got rid of their last 50 horses (in the 60's) and started using trucks for the local deliveries..

They were our local Nottingham brewery and survived 139 years, finally closing the doors in 1991.

 

Shipstones Dray and Horses, Ilkeston Road, Radford, Nottingham, c 1956

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Where is it?

 

the Prince of Wales in Birmingham use red plastic barrels? 
 

 

I think the Borehole in Stone does something similar??, and maybe the Railway in Hebden Bridge??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

 I'm in Stone so I'll check it out. Anyway, they're bloody horrible.

Definitely go to the borehole! You can get over the railway via the footbridge behind the Fullers..about a 10 min amble if you are moored by the fullers yard. Lovely micro and doggie friendly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

 

 

If that's the draught I'd go somewhere else.

 

They always used to say that the 'Shipstones' beer changed its taste & the product improved when they finally got rid of their last 50 horses (in the 60's) and started using trucks for the local deliveries..

They were our local Nottingham brewery and survived 139 years, finally closing the doors in 1991.

 

Shipstones Dray and Horses, Ilkeston Road, Radford, Nottingham, c 1956

 

Despite being an anagram for honest piss Shipstones was a wonderful, bitter beer.

There were two pubs selling it in Doncaster, at 30p a pint, when I went to work there in the 1970s. Both used electric pumps (Invincible Metrons? A horizontal clear cylinder on the bar) which as a lad from Essex I wasn't used to.

 

And Stone is a good place for good pubs. As well as the Borehole there is the Swan, the Royal Exchange and that new Joules place next to the canal.

(There is also a McSpoons for the desperate)

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

 

Despite being an anagram for honest piss Shipstones was a wonderful, bitter beer.

There were two pubs selling it in Doncaster, at 30p a pint, when I went to work there in the 1970s. Both used electric pumps (Invincible Metrons? A horizontal clear cylinder on the bar) which as a lad from Essex I wasn't used to.

 

And Stone is a good place for good pubs. As well as the Borehole there is the Swan, the Royal Exchange and that new Joules place next to the canal.

(There is also a McSpoons for the desperate)

I found the new joules a lovely building but the clientele were all footballers wives wannabes….maybe I caught it on a bad day… gave up and wandered to the exchange. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.