Problem on the South Oxford potentially?

johnmck

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, johnmck said:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PXbTrhTjQKjuGk4F7

Meanwhile on the Leicester line...

An extended closure of Watford locks looks extremely likely. 

Is that where the sink hole was earlier this year, that one was on the concrete steps you use to open the gate. 

Edited by Stroudwater1

53 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Is that where the sink hole was earlier this year, that one was on the concrete steps you use to open the gate. 

It is just below , but in reality, same void. Sorry about the carp photo. Nipped off the boat to take it as passing up the staircase today.

The debris from that 1st hole was washing into the lock below, so looks like the pea gravel in a wheelbarrow fix wasnt quite expansive enough.

It make me quite glad I'm on a long pound, at least I can go back and forth without risking a lock until it breaches somewhere.

On 24/10/2021 at 08:06, Dave123 said:

Some people commented on Facebook about this, apparently the farmer has been in discussions with CRT for a year or more about this. They claim it's not coming from the canal...

Dropping some dye into the canal would put an end to the discussion surely.. 

I’m told there’s a pipe/culvert that runs along that side of the locks, which was not known about, till the first hole appeared.

Now there’s more holes, who knows what will be needed to really fix this. 
I predict the planned stoppage will be much longer than planned. 

Bod

2 hours ago, Bod said:

I’m told there’s a pipe/culvert that runs along that side of the locks, which was not known about, till the first hole appeared.

Now there’s more holes, who knows what will be needed to really fix this. 
I predict the planned stoppage will be much longer than planned. 

Bod

Quite agree. Even more so when you look at bridge 6a and the none towpath side abutment to the bottom gates of lock 2. Both are slowly moving down towards the A5, the cracks in the brickwork now highlighted with measurements.