What coolant is this?

MtB

Featured Posts

Having had this boat for four years it's maybe time to change the coolant. It doesn't last for ever I believe.

So having collected a sample it is a lovely shade of pink! Can anyone suggest what it is please, so I can replace it with like-for-like? I gather it is not a Good Idea to mix antifreezes.

And perhaps estimate its probable life, if the board knows what it is? 

Engine is a Kelvin K2 BTW. 

Thanks. 962092393_Screenshot2021-10-17at16_07_11.png.4f97ab51bd01e69d46783413d75e50d0.png

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Having had this boat for four years it's maybe time to change the coolant. It doesn't last for ever I believe.

So having collected a sample it is a lovely shade of pink! Can anyone suggest what it is please, so I can replace it with like-for-like? I gather it is not a Good Idea to mix antifreezes.

And perhaps estimate its probable life, if the board knows what it is? 

Engine is a Kelvin K2 BTW. 

Thanks. 962092393_Screenshot2021-10-17at16_07_11.png.4f97ab51bd01e69d46783413d75e50d0.png

I would complain to the publican.

• Greenie 1

I made a mistake with mixing and have spent a while flushing with plain water . Then I am going to use ethylene glycol which is most likely what older engines would have used .

Edited by MartynG

Pink is usually one of the HOAT 5 year types....however Ive seen dire warnings about using this on older engines where Brass & Copper might be present on various classic car forums...and no manufacturer that Ive found recommends it for older cars...they all say use Ethylene Glycol (usually blue and lasts 2 years)....its all to do with the corrosion inhibitors and how they react...its a pain changing my antifreeze every two years but vintage engine parts arent cheap and I decided to err on the side of caution. 

It does mean you would have to flush the system well if you want to change however.

MtB.  The antifreeze part of antifreeze lasts forever, provided you top up with ready mixed antifreeze.  The corrosion inhibitors  wear out/get used up.  All you need to do is add some more central heating corrosion inhibitor.  That is designed for a mixture of steel, brass and copper.  I am sure you have a favourite brand  but I have used the Screwfix own brand- currently flomasta for about 10 years, adding 500ml every other year.  The J2 has not fallen apart yet.

N

PS- you can test your antifreeze by putting a sample in the freezer.  If it goes solid it needs some more! 

Edited by BEngo

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

MtB.  The antifreeze part of antifreeze lasts forever, provided you top up with ready mixed antifreeze.  The corrosion inhibitors  wear out/get used up.  All you need to do is add some more central heating corrosion inhibitor.  That is designed for a mixture of steel, brass and copper.  I am sure you have a favourite brand  but I have used the Screwfix own brand- currently flomasta for about 10 years, adding 500ml every other year.  The J2 has not fallen apart yet.

N

PS- you can test your antifreeze by putting a sample in the freezer.  If it goes solid it needs some more! 

Has there not been previous debate on here as to if the spent corrosion inhibitors might turn acidic? I know when I asked Morris about adding their corrosion inhibitor to their antifreeze they were non committal at best…but I guess they want to sell antifreeze!   

Almost all antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol, that's the antifreeze bit. A very few are propylene glycol which is less toxic, but ethylene glycols will contain an additive called Bitrex which tastes real bad so no self respecting dog or cat will touch it.

The big variable is the anti-corrosion additive and the colour gives you a clue as to what this is. The old stuff is blue and lasts a couple of years. All modern ones are OAT, (Inorganic Acid Technology) and there are lots and lots of variations. Its usually red or pink and lats at least 5 years. They are sometimes yellow or purple. The modern ones should be fine with copper and brass.

As you are not short of a bob or two and have a nice engine why not get a 20 litre drum of good stuff delivered to your door my Morris Oils? Advantage of Morris is they publish proper data sheets and you can even phone them and talk to semi-technocal people.

edit...OAT is of course Organic rather than Inorganic, the O is the clue

Edited by dmr
fingers faster than brain
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

Almost all antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol, that's the antifreeze bit. A very few are propylene glycol which is less toxic, but ethylene glycols will contain an additive called Bitrex which tastes real bad

You mean it tastes like.... um.....  l*ger????

Sorry, couldn't bring myself to type it in full....

1 hour ago, dmr said:

As you are not short of a bob or two and have a nice engine why not get a 20 litre drum of good stuff delivered to your door my Morris Oils?

Thanks for the suggestion, didn't realise they sold anything other than lubricants.

Curiously going to their website, the first image served up was this! 

1222605168_Screenshot2021-10-17at18_55_15.png.67f822db6a2d7bf4551772d8f13251dc.png

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

You mean it tastes like.... um.....  l*ger????

Sorry, couldn't bring myself to type it in full....

but lager has very little taste, especially when cold, Bitrex tastes bitter, but much much bitterer than the bitterest of bitters. I have to have a little taste from time to time just to remember how incredibly bad it is (antifreeze that is, not bitter).

After our recent 12.5 hour battle up through Manchester we ended up right outside a big modern town pub selling rather mediocre bitter, its amazing how good even mediocre bitter tastes after a boating day like that.

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

but lager has very little taste, especially when cold, Bitrex tastes bitter, but much much bitterer than the bitterest of bitters. I have to have a little taste from time to time just to remember how incredibly bad it is (antifreeze that is, not bitter).

After our recent 12.5 hour battle up through Manchester we ended up right outside a big modern town pub selling rather mediocre bitter, its amazing how good even mediocre bitter tastes after a boating day like that.

Tales like this just reinforce my inclination to us a lorry and a crane to take my bote anywhere much north of Middlewich! 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Tales like this just reinforce my inclination to us a lorry and a crane to take my bote anywhere much north of Middlewich! 

You are assuming that there will be enough water to float your boat North of Middlewich,and if by some chance there is, you will most likely rive your guts out on some of the paddle mechanisms, if you can find one or two in working order.

Sorry to be so negative,but I have lost my faith.  

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

Its mostly good, but when it gets bad it gets really bad. The Rochdale is not deep enough in parts, and has too much crap in it, no safety margin. Last year we shot up, Manchester and Slattocks in a single day. This year the water was a foot down in places and that just makes it un-navigable. New blue signs next to poorly maintained locks is not good. We saw two CRT blokes removing vegetation to make it better for cyclists, but when we got really stuck and phoned for help nobody turned up. Just a little bit of CRT effort could really help.

We shared locks with a London single hander who was trying some boating. She concluded never again and will tell all her friends not to go near the Rochdale, its not good.

Lots of gates would not open enough to get two boats in, but if you go singly you use up the water from the next pound.

A lorry and crane are tempting, wonder if CRT would pay? 😀