COP 26 Announcement that 'New Gas Boilers' will be banned from 2035

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Going to be interesting (for me) to see how well the solar water heating copes now the weather has turned.

Mine on the boat is becoming increasingly ineffective as the days shorten and the sun gets lower in the sky. The nice weather we had a week or two back was still getting hot enough water to use for laundry, washing up and bathing by 5pm. Today is overcast and drizzle, so no solar hot water at all, but too warm to light the stove for the calorifier unless all the windows are open!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

53 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps one benefit of global warming could be in the future we don't  need to depend so much on central heating in the UK ?

I thought the prediction was that the UK would get much colder if the North Atlantic Drift moves or stops.

Think Canadian or Russian winters for some idea of what we might get without all that warmth from the Gulf of Mexico.

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Mine on the boat is becoming increasingly ineffective as the days shorten and the sun gets lower in the sky. The nice weather we had a week or two back was still getting hot enough water to use for laundry, washing up and bathing by 5pm. Today is overcast and drizzle, so no solar hot water at all, but too warm to light the stove for the calorifier unless all the windows are open!

Mine HW has been hitting 55deg the last few days but it is a large system😎

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I thought the prediction was that the UK would get much colder if the North Atlantic Drift moves or stops.

That depends if you read articles from "Global warming" believers (UK will get a mini ice-age) or "Climate change" believers (most of the UK will be under 100 feet of water)

Maybe if you are a fence-sitter, you'll be under 100 feet of ice.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That depends if you read articles from "Global warming" believers (UK will get a mini ice-age) or "Climate change" believers (most of the UK will be under 100 feet of water)

Maybe if you are a fence-sitter, you'll be under 100 feet of ice.

10 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Indeed, consulting an atlas shows that even  the most southerly point of the UK lies North of the St.Lawrence River, and that freezes over every winter.

All depends on if the Gulf Stream moves, or collapses apparently. It brings warm and wet weather up from the Carribean. If it stops, or moves, the the weather in western Europe becomes much colder. A local cooling amongst other places getting hotter. Bad news for a lot of people in a lot of places. There are signs it may be happening. No one know for sure yet.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Think Canadian or Russian winters for some idea of what we might get without all that warmth from the Gulf of Mexico.

Canadian or Russian winters but not as cold as the current Canadian/Russian winters as the world will be warmer.  The ice caps aren't melting because the north is as cold as it used to be.  Also being in a maritime country we won't have the same continental climate.

Our winters will be colder (assuming the NAD switches off) and our summers hotter and probably wetter, but not as cold as Canada/Russia currently have. 

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Who knows?

Recent times certainly  seems to be milder  average temperatures in the UK  . Not necessarily better weather but less cold. 

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/uk-climate-2010s-second-hottest-decade-in-last-100-years/

image.png.4f9cf9676c572acc6690a3497fa9450f.png

On 19/10/2021 at 13:18, Jerra said:

Canadian or Russian winters but not as cold as the current Canadian/Russian winters as the world will be warmer.  The ice caps aren't melting because the north is as cold as it used to be.  Also being in a maritime country we won't have the same continental climate.

Our winters will be colder (assuming the NAD switches off) and our summers hotter and probably wetter, but not as cold as Canada/Russia currently have. 

I watched a fascinating program on Channel 4 last weekend where a group of scientists tried to find out what was happening in the Arctic by spending a year on an ice floe (they cheated a little by basing themselves on an ice-breaker). The polar ice cap is definitely melting which means the Arctic is warming faster than the average for the whole world.

It was called Arctic Drift: a Year in the Ice. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

I watched a fascinating program on Channel 4 last weekend where a group of scientists tried to find out what was happening in the Arctic by spending a year on an ice floe (they cheated a little by basing themselves on an ice-breaker). The polar ice cap is definitely melting which means the Arctic is warming faster than the average for the whole world.

I missed that I must see if I can catch up.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Watched it, surprising the breakup and piling of the ice

On 17/10/2021 at 10:27, Alan de Enfield said:

Are Liveaboards "homes" ?

Not strictly soaking unless they have a residential mooring.

Are instaneous heaters included ?

Presumably the manufacture of gas water heaters will cease and they will become unavailable, irrespective of whether the law covers boats or not.

As the time draws near, maybe buy a couple of "Morco's" so you can keep up & running

There will always be a caravan and boat market so let's try not to overreact to every govt announcement.