COP 26 Announcement that 'New Gas Boilers' will be banned from 2035

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've invented a zero emission digging machine. Doesn't need diesel, or an electricity supply on site. Wonder if I can get JCB interested?

Aa_shovel01.jpg.947dd5a11099f1c6bfc3472a4815cf9a.jpg

By Anthony Appleyard (talk) - I (Anthony Appleyard (talk)) created this work entirely by myself.Transferred from en.wikipedia, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=18047175

I have been using a low carbon emission Lawnmower for years.I used it today, and it gives me exercise as well :-

[Linked Image]

People (especially children) regularly stop and watch my "Amazing Machine" so much  that I am considering charging for people to watch me cut the lawn!!

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Interesting - we are using a different classification.

Alec

I checked numerous sites all say the same, there are more colours like brown is for brown coal and black is for black coal, but as you say others says brown for all coal. At the moment an American company is using microwaves to extract graphene from natural gas with a bi product of hydrogen, it's so cheap they can give it away they say! In truth unless hydrogen comes from waste energy it's to energy intensive to be economically produced. 

14 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I have been using a low carbon emission Lawnmower for years.I used it today, and it gives me exercise as well :-

[Linked Image]

People (especially children) regularly stop and watch my "Amazing Machine" so much  that I am considering charging for people to watch me cut the lawn!!

That doesn’t so much cut it as beat it into submission.

My old grandad used to set us on with one of those if he felt me or my cousins were feeling a bit too energetic round the house.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I checked numerous sites all say the same, there are more colours like brown is for brown coal and black is for black coal, but as you say others says brown for all coal. At the moment an American company is using microwaves to extract graphene from natural gas with a bi product of hydrogen, it's so cheap they can give it away they say! In truth unless hydrogen comes from waste energy it's to energy intensive to be economically produced. 

The UK is supposed to be moving away from colours anyway apparently - I suspect at least in part because nuclear fission is now classified as sustainable energy so hydrogen produced by electrolysis using electricity from fission is a bit tricky to classify as green.

The principle appears to be that because the main scalable renewable energy sources (wind and solar) do not synchronise with demand you can make use of the surplus either through battery storage (people's cars) or as hydrogen. In practice, I suspect there will be a significant mis-match between supply and demand.

Alec

18 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

A bit high tech for me. This year I have mostly been using:

Tour of a scythe

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

That doesn’t so much cut it as beat it into submission.

My old grandad used to set us on with one of those if he felt me or my cousins were feeling a bit too energetic round the house.

It is quite hard work to use, probably owing to the six blade cutter rather than the more conventional four blade machines. The JP Maxees  was introduced in 1938 and continued in production until the late 1960's, they are brilliantly engineered and were probably the most expensive manual push mower ever made. I have had my mine for more than thirty years, it was made in the 1940's. 

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, agg221 said:

The UK is supposed to be moving away from colours anyway apparently - I suspect at least in part because nuclear fission is now classified as sustainable energy so hydrogen produced by electrolysis using electricity from fission is a bit tricky to classify as green.

The principle appears to be that because the main scalable renewable energy sources (wind and solar) do not synchronise with demand you can make use of the surplus either through battery storage (people's cars) or as hydrogen. In practice, I suspect there will be a significant mis-match between supply and demand.

Alec

Tour of a scythe

Pink is the colour for Hydrogen produced by nuclear allegedly although other colours might be applied for different versions of nuclear. 

I can't see the colours being dropped as they keep fossil fuel companies in check from lying to us

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Pink is the colour for Hydrogen produced by nuclear allegedly although other colours might be applied for different versions of nuclear. 

I can't see the colours being dropped as they keep fossil fuel companies in check from lying to us

I can therefore see exactly why the government is attempting to move away from the colours...

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/052521-uk-to-move-away-from-colors-in-hydrogen-strategy-beis-director

24 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I can therefore see exactly why the government is attempting to move away from the colours...

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/market-insights/latest-news/electric-power/052521-uk-to-move-away-from-colors-in-hydrogen-strategy-beis-director

More than likely the civil servants scared of losing their backhanders from fossil fuels companies! My daughter did fact gathering for her uni professor it didn't look good for hydrogen no matter how you spun it.

We have one of the few hydrogen manufacturers in Rotherham along with a pump to dispense it, uni owns it and refuel its vehicles with it

Edited by peterboat

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was a 'digger' video posted here some time ago.

Produced by JCB as an experiment to see if construction companies could manage with electric excavators.

It lasted about 3 hours, and was then connected to a huge diesel generator for many. many hours to recharge. It may comply with the regulations for vehicle emissions, but having to run the diesel genny seem to be negating all of the savings.

(Building sites, road construction sites etc will rarely have electricty so 'temporary portable power' - diesel generators - will always be needed).

They have productionised a small 1.9 tonne digger for use in residential settings and that seems to work well.

The first one would have charged a lot quicker if it hadn't been connected to the generator via a 120V site transformer. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, agg221 said:

Tour of a scythe

Anybody can push along a lawnmower, using one of those effectively takes a fair bit of skill and practice.

It is a lawn mower because its exactly what you would use to mow a meadow 😀

2 hours ago, agg221 said:

Tour of a scythe

A Flemish scythe I think.

I spent a hot afternoon helping mow a meadow with those a few summers ago. Lovely to use when sharp enough!! Bloody hard work tho.

1 minute ago, dmr said:

Anybody can push along a lawnmower, using one of those effectively takes a fair bit of skill and practice.

It is a lawn mower because its exactly what you would use to mow a meadow 😀

I am getting better.

I started with the really rough bits where 'shorter' was an improvement and on 2' nettles that doesn't take much!

I have now got the hang of sharpening sufficiently well to cut the orchard. If you stuck a ride-on over it, it would be shorter but it isn't bad.

I have done the lawn, but that still gets mowed with the petrol mower more often than not.

The scythe in the picture is the type I have, from the company I bought it from, but it isn't actually my one as I wasn't going out to the shed in the dark to photograph it, and I don't tend to take selfies whilst using it as I value my toes. If I wanted the lawn to look good I would need a finer blade really, but I'm not good enough at it to take that on yet.

Alec

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

A Flemish scythe I think.

I spent a hot afternoon helping mow a meadow with those a few summers ago. Lovely to use when sharp enough!! Bloody hard work tho.

I was sold it as Austrian, but they are probably the same. Hot weather does make it very hard work but because you don't have to get out the fuel and then get the blasted thing to start, I find it much easier to do 15-20mins a day, rather than blitz it like I did with the petrol powered ones.

2 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I am getting better.

I started with the really rough bits where 'shorter' was an improvement and on 2' nettles that doesn't take much!

I have now got the hang of sharpening sufficiently well to cut the orchard. If you stuck a ride-on over it, it would be shorter but it isn't bad.

I have done the lawn, but that still gets mowed with the petrol mower more often than not.

The scythe in the picture is the type I have, from the company I bought it from, but it isn't actually my one as I wasn't going out to the shed in the dark to photograph it, and I don't tend to take selfies whilst using it as I value my toes. If I wanted the lawn to look good I would need a finer blade really, but I'm not good enough at it to take that on yet.

Alec

When I was at school I had a holiday job as a gardner's boy at a local country house. Most of the lawns were mown with a bog standard motor mower, but the main lawn in front of the house was mown by the head gardner (and never anyone else) using a fairly ancient but very well maintained push mower. And in the middle of this lawn was a sculpted mound, which was trimmed, again by the head gardner, using one of those scythes. And when he had finished you couldn't tell the difference between the mown and the scythed grass.

6 minutes ago, agg221 said:

I am getting better.

I have a friend who is a scythe geek and he has given me an extensive lesson, its a whole new world. The most surprising bit is how often you sharpen them, wearing the stone on a belt, plus all the slightly different blades for different jobs. The top scythe makes are just like the top boat builders.

Hydrogen made up a significant proportion of coal gas. Coal gas was supplied at a lower pressure than natural gas and had a lower calorific value, meaning that the supply pipes required for coal gas were significantly larger than those for natural gas. I recall that when I installed my gas back boiler myself  in the 1970's just after conversion to natural gas (DIY gas installation was legal then), the installation instructions said that the supply pipe for coal gas had to be 3/4", whereas for natural gas, 1/2" was sufficient. 

I guess that gas consisting only of pure hydrogen would need to be supplied at a higher pressure than the old hydrogen-containing coal gas to avoid wholesale installation of larger-diameter pipes in order to supply an equivalent amount of energy, so potential leakage might be more of an issue.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Just remind me, do your legs get wet when peeing in the wind?

You do realise this the origin of the term "going to the loo"

Sailing ships of yore, had the sit down toilets around the bow sprit, at the head of the ship, hence "the heads"

But for less serious business by males you just excused yourself for a trip to the leeward rail. "off to the lee", pronounced loo.

The windward rail would not be a good choice for such a task.

19 hours ago, David Mack said:

But the corresponding figures for the liquid hydrocarbon fuels we currently use are in the range 12,000-13,000 Wh/kg i.e. 10-40 times higher. So battery technology has a loooong way to go to be viable for long distance transport applications like intercontinental flight. 

Liquid aviation fuel also has the advantage of getting lighter as the flight progresses, further extending range 

Unfortunately a flat battery weighs the same as a fully charged one.

10 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Liquid aviation fuel also has the advantage of getting lighter as the flight progresses, further extending range 

Unfortunately a flat battery weighs the same as a fully charged one.

That's a very good point that that had not occurred to me until you said it.

I suppose it will help the planes land quicker though! 

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, MtB said:

That's a very good point that that had not occurred to me until you said it.

I suppose it will help the planes land quicker though! 

Bombers could take off with a full bomb load but could not land 'loaded' and had to jettison the bomb load, maybe they will need to jettison the battery pack ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

23 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I won't be around, so that's one less thing for me to worry about.

How are folks with oil heating going to cope when there is none?  Are all aircraft ( which they are still making ) going to be scrapped?

And all the ships burning that heavy fuel oil that brings us our lifestyles. The things that are being proposed at the moment will not make the slightest difference. We will have to go back to the stone age to reverse climate change, if indeed climate change is actually happening or if climate change is not one of the natural progressions in the planet's climate cycles which have happened for the last millions of years. Making me get rid of my gas boiler wont change a thing.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pete.i said:

And all the ships burning that heavy fuel oil that brings us our lifestyles.

Apparently those 'huge ships' are using way way less fuel and producing far less emissions per ton of goods carried than you do going to get a ton of coal from the coal merchants in your pick-up truck.

• Greenie 1