Folding Sink and Mixer Taps

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

We are redoing our bathroom and fitting a shower tray to cover the whole area of the wetroom and fitting a gulper rather than the bilge pump where water has been going into our base plate. Due to space on our 26.5ft boat and only a whole bathroom area of 1000*700 we are replacing the sink with a folding one.

We need some wall mounted taps that have an option to put the shower head on the wall like this:

Screenshot_2021-10-16-09-14-01-083_com_ebay.mobile.jpg.a696e4aa607bd52b0b0c5e74d4a7ea2e.jpg

I'm just wondering if this is our only choice of suitable products. I can't seem to find any alternative.

31 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You'd need a projection three or four inches deep to horizontally mount the mixer, with space for the hose to retract.

Ah ok one one description they said wall mounted.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A standard bath shower mixer tap might work for you.

essentials-bath-shower-mixer-tap.webp

That's probably better for us but are there any implications for using household type taps rather than those Whale type ones.

1 hour ago, EnglishRose said:

. Due to space on our 26.5ft boat and only a whole bathroom area of 1000*700 we are replacing the sink with a folding one.

You've gone metric half way through your sentence!

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

You've gone metric half way through your sentence!

😂 Well everything to do with boat length is always in ft such as mooring charges, maintenance etc.

But then I tend to work in mm elsewhere. Other half was confused when I said height of shower trays are generally 40-50 and she measured 40cm not mm 😳

• Greenie 1

If the pipes can be behind the wall I used one of these successfully

https://www.toolstation.com/shower-wall-plate/p61910?store=LL&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200345&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1JSs99HO8wIVrIFQBh3DpgLPEAQYAiABEgKIDPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I suspect a standard mixer tap will also fit.

I think domestic (house) taps will be far longer lasting and more robust than caravan type equipment.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

How about this neat tap/shower?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284487174055?

That looks pretty decent and certainly could work well.

@Tony Brooks yes I was thinking the quality would be better than those plastic Whale ones. The pipes will be behind the wall as we have removed the majority of the cladding we just need to work what sort of pipework is needed and if plastic pipes can be used on something like @Tracy D'arth mentioned.

IMG-20211014-WA0009.jpg.aedacb59089a4a293b6a4a4f40f71558.jpgIMG-20211014-WA0022.jpg.8932e1616730bffb00163695d2534e94.jpg

As long as you use the plastic pipe and fittings designed for use in houses the will work well and be more frost resistant than copper. 15mm should be fine. If to make a connection you have to use a compression fitting make sure you buy metal rather than plastic inserts for the ends of the plastic pipe.

As long as you can get the hose tails there is no reason not to use the hoses you show but I would tend not to use it for the kitchen tap just in case the plasticiser leached out when left for prolonged periods unused.

I can't see an actual tap on Tracy's link unless you use the shower head. I also found that the wall mount on the cheaper versions were plastic and not very positive. I think I might have one you can have but collect from Reading. It is just a shower mixer.

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284487174055

That's just a shower mixer and the OP wants taps and a shower.

Yes it works need to be something like this I think but then having taps like this with a folding sink won't work so we may just have to use the shower head as a tap.

Someone posted this on here.

IMG_20211016_121626.jpg.53e5c83df4986e400b31031a9ced57d4.jpg

Would we have enough pressure?

https://www.toolstation.com/barra-wall-mounted-bath-shower-mixer-tap/p48009

Edited by EnglishRose

Warning!

Be very careful about so-called "high pressure" and "low pressure" mixer taps. It isn't an either/or description, but a whole range of values. Even a reputable plumbing supplies company fell down that particular heffalump trap when we remodelled our (house) bathroom a few years ago. It took three attempts to get a shower/mixer tap assembly that could actually handle the (lack of) pressure on our system. 

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Warning!

Be very careful about so-called "high pressure" and "low pressure" mixer taps. It isn't an either/or description, but a whole range of values. Even a reputable plumbing supplies company fell down that particular heffalump trap when we remodelled our (house) bathroom a few years ago. It took three attempts to get a shower/mixer tap assembly that could actually handle the (lack of) pressure on our system. 

But pending better advice from and experience plumbers on here I would have thought that a typical boats 1.5 bar cut out pressure and a bout a bar and a quarter cut in pressure would be more than enough to work well enough on stuff designed to run from a loft tank.

50 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But pending better advice from and experience plumbers on here I would have thought that a typical boats 1.5 bar cut out pressure and a bout a bar and a quarter cut in pressure would be more than enough to work well enough on stuff designed to run from a loft tank.

1.5Bar is equivalent pressure to having the loft tank around 40 feet above the shower. Better than most houses, especially those with an upstairs shower.

Any decent fitting (like the one that I have) comes with sets of restrictors. Foe example:

For LP there are no restrictors fitted

For LP hot and mains cold just a restrictor in the cold

Etc etc

You can then match the flow rate to exactly what is needed.

You do say in the title "Folding sink & Taps"

Some 20 years ago in our 30 foot NB we had that sort of set up, but the taps were actually mounted under the gunwale and the taps were a 'showerhead'. The problem is where does the water go when you tip the sink ?

From memory there was a sort of 'wide mouthed funnel' in the wall / under & behind the sink that caught the water as it was tipped out and it dissappeared down the drain.

Things have moved along a long way in the last 2-decades.

IMG_20130912_123327.jpg

IMG_20130912_123350.jpg

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You do say in the title "Folding sink & Taps"

Some 20 years ago in our 30 foot NB we had that sort of set up, but the taps were actually mounted under the gunwale and the taps were a 'showerhead'. The problem is where does the water go when you tip the sink ?

From memory there was a sort of 'wide mouthed funnel' in the wall / under & behind the sink that caught the water as it was tipped out and it dissappeared down the drain.

Things have moved along a long way in the last 2-decades.

However such an arrangement is very common in modern motorhomes, particularly smaller ones and camper vans where space is at a premium.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171012197636?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338624526&toolid=10001&customid=d5e7480d5b5100cc2797a52225ac801e

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

However such an arrangement is very common in modern motorhomes, particularly smaller ones and camper vans where space is at a premium.

We are heading to a caravan/motorhome breakers next week so we will see if we get any inspiration there