GU Stoke Bruerne Flight

Hotspur

Featured Posts

Update on 16/10/2021:

We have attempted an assisted passage through the lock with a trade boat known to the Trust this morning with a view of assessing whether or not it would be safe to continue offering assisted passage through the rest of the weekend but unfortunately it has been deemed not safe to do so. The condition of the heel post has deteriorated to the point where the water turbulence coming through the gate makes passage to dangerous. 

Our engineers are looking for a temporary fix solution and we expect a further update during Monday 25th October. 

The latest CRT statement does not make sense.  

The worn heel post is at the bottom gates so any water turbulence  is going to be in  the tail of the lock whilst full and emptying.  It is quite easy to arrange that there is no boat in the tail while emptying.

Turbulence in the lock cannot be worse than when empty and filling with both ground paddles and the gate paddles fully up.

Or are they saying so much water is passing the lower gates so it is causing a dangerous flow over the top sill? Given there is 10 miles of pound above the lock ot seems unlikely a Huddersfield Narrow type cilling might result.

Anyone there who can explain what the real situation is?

N

30 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The latest CRT statement does not make sense.  

The worn heel post is at the bottom gates so any water turbulence  is going to be in  the tail of the lock whilst full and emptying.  It is quite easy to arrange that there is no boat in the tail while emptying.

Turbulence in the lock cannot be worse than when empty and filling with both ground paddles and the gate paddles fully up.

Or are they saying so much water is passing the lower gates so it is causing a dangerous flow over the top sill? Given there is 10 miles of pound above the lock ot seems unlikely a Huddersfield Narrow type cilling might result.

Anyone there who can explain what the real situation is?

N

And a further update in 9 days!

Given that this lock seems scheduled for repair in a couple of weeks I take this incident as further evidence of CRT' s maintenence programme failing again. I've passed under so many disintegrating bridges this year that I'm thinking of putting a hard hat on my Christmas list. 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Slim said:

Given that this lock seems scheduled for repair in a couple of weeks I take this incident as further evidence of CRT's maintenence programme failing again.

Given a lock gate lasts 20 years or so if it was due a new one in a few weeks I'd say their timing is pretty good.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Given a lock gate lasts 20 years or so if it was due a new one in a few weeks I'd say their timing is pretty good.

Any maintenence  programme that doesn't prevent failure has, in it's self, failed. 

• Greenie 2

Reopened with assisted passage.

Update on 19/10/2021:

Please note the lock flight is only open to narrowboats as only one gate is operational. Please see details below.

Widebeam passage will not be available until a permanent fix to the other gate.

Update on 19/10/2021:

UPDATE

The lock flight at Stoke Bruerne is open from 10am todaymanaged by our team of volunteers. Please be patient as operations will be slower than normal to protect the temporary arrangement for the lower gates.

Please follow the guidance from the Lock keeping team, helping to keep the flight operational.

Update on 18/10/2021:

UPDATE

The gate has now been secured in a closed position, which means with care the lock is now functional for narrowboats until a more permanent repair can be implemented.

To protect the gate the lock will be manned 10am-3pm to facilitate passage. Customers ascending the flight will need to be past lock 15 before 2.45pm.

The lock remains under review as safety for all is paramount.

Edited by Hotspur
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, IanM said:

Just seen pictures on Facebook/Instagram of the lock and one of the gates is well and truly propped shut so only narrow craft can use the lock. 

I think it was in the wording Narrowboats only, they didn't mention narrow cruisers.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think it was in the wording Narrowboats only, they didn't mention narrow cruisers.

Yes, I got that afterwards. Just been to the dentist so not really thinking straight!

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

However, on the Rochdale Canal lock 8 which has a similar problem and temporary solution, CRT advise the canal "is effectively closed to Broad beams but Narrow beams can still use the canal", which is much more inclusive.

Stoke Bruerne assisted passage today had 4 vollies sat around chatting, only one boat through whilst we were there,John on Northern Lights.

The bottom towpath side gate is chained back, propped shut and has a large block under the balance beam end to help stop it slipping.

20211024_152445.jpg

The top beam on the top lock will not be actioned until it falls apart....which could be very soon.....

20211024_152431.jpg

Edited by matty40s

Update 27/10/2021 16:33

Emergency works are required to repair the excessive wear to the bottom gate heel post at Lock 14.  

The navigation will on be closed on the 3rd of November, to allow the affected gate to be removed and repaired off site. 

The navigation will remain closed until the 10th of November when the gates will be re-installed. 

During lifting operations, the towpath may need to be closed temporarily for safety. 

Please follow the instructions of the on-site personnel.

We apologise for any inconvenience.