Looking for a lister jp3 liner puller to borrow or buy.

DannyD

Featured Posts

Hi there, I recently had to replace a big end bearing shell, one piston and all the piston rings on my JP3 Blackstone. Unfortunately something went wrong after just 2 hours of running. The pistin rings in cilinder nr 2 have made big scratches in the cilinder lining and has to be replaced. Not sure what went wrong tho.

I do have a spare liner available but now I need to pull the old one. Is there anyone here who can lent or sell me a puller of some sort?

My location is in the Netherlands and I'm happy to pay the shipping costs.

With regards DannyIMG_6154.jpeg.21ac2a4a7ff90e75c9026c6c34c17f60.jpeg

There's a few home made pullers YouTube. I seem to recall there is also a description of one on the forum from some time ago - possibly the late Tim Leech.

One tip I did pick up is that most of the pullers you see have 2 or 4 legs which push down on the top of the block. With these there is a risk the liner will bring up a piece of the top of the block with it. To avoid this risk you should put a ring on top of the block under the puller legs, with an internal diameter just greater than the OD of the liner lip.

Why did the rings scratch the liner?? Others will have more knowledge of these things than I do but the damage worries me. Are all the rings the right way up? Is there a scraper or oil control ring facing up and not down? Would that make any difference? We need an expert!

I wonder if the damage was caused by fitting a chromed ring in a Listard chromed bore.

Or because the liner wear ridge can was not honed or scraped out/ a stepped ring not fitted and the new top  ring has hit the ridge and broken (aided and abetted by different tolerances on the new piston or big end bearing perhaps).

May even  be as simple as a ring breaking whilst being fitted or the ring gap too small.  Should not happen, but does, some sources being worse than others.

N

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, BEngo said:

I wonder if the damage was caused by fitting a chromed ring in a Listard chromed bore.

Or because the liner wear ridge can was not honed or scraped out/ a stepped ring not fitted and the new top  ring has hit the ridge and broken (aided and abetted by different tolerances on the new piston or big end bearing perhaps).

May even  be as simple as a ring breaking whilst being fitted or the ring gap too small.  Should not happen, but does, some sources being worse than others.

N

I had the wrong (chrome) rings fitted by someone masquerading as an expert, to chrome liners and the end result was us getting covered in oil - there was no scoring to the liners when stripped.

Used to work for a company that made piston rings, Oversized rings, +010, +015 etc. etc. had a step machined into the top compression ring.  Standard rings didn't so if you fitted a standard top ring into an old bore it would hit the ridge at the top.  Also the R&D dept tried chromed rings in chromed bores a few times, that didn't go well. PTFE coated rings didn't either.

Thx for the advice all. In the first cilinder I placed the same new piston rings and in the third, a new pistons with rings. Both seem fine. just to be sure I want to put in new pistons with rings in nr 1 and nr 2 so all are the same. But first I've to get the liner out. I saw the drawings of pullers here on the site. First I wanna try it just with some pieces of wood, maybe it isn't that stuck. 

Btw the rings weren't broken but just scraped the liner. Especially the top one has a lot of scratches on it. I'll make a picture of it today to post later.

A further possibility to the above, make sure your injectors are in good condition, I’ve known Diesel engines to pick up as described, due to injectors over fuelling and washing the bores of their oil coating.

2 hours ago, NB Esk said:

A further possibility to the above, make sure your injectors are in good condition, I’ve known Diesel engines to pick up as described, due to injectors over fuelling and washing the bores of their oil coating.

The injectors are new but thanks for the heads up.

• Greenie 1

On 17/10/2021 at 08:45, DannyD said:

Thx for the advice all. In the first cilinder I placed the same new piston rings and in the third, a new pistons with rings. Both seem fine. just to be sure I want to put in new pistons with rings in nr 1 and nr 2 so all are the same. But first I've to get the liner out. I saw the drawings of pullers here on the site. First I wanna try it just with some pieces of wood, maybe it isn't that stuck. 

Btw the rings weren't broken but just scraped the liner. Especially the top one has a lot of scratches on it. I'll make a picture of it today to post later.

You may be lucky, but I doubt you will remove a liner with any pieces of wood involved. When I removed the liners from my JP, I had to use some pretty substantial pieces of steel to make up a puller, and to actually REMOVE the liner using 25mm threaded bar I had to use my longest breaker bar, extended with a trolley jack handle, which itself was extended with a piece of scaffolding tube. I've since decided that the secret is to put some tension (quite a bit) on the puller, then leave it for 24 hours, then add some more tension, leave again, and so on. 

• Greenie 1

Thx for the info I'm gonna try it next week with two 20 mm threaded bars and wood. The motor has been overhauled before and I'm hoping this liner hasn't been in the motor all of it's life. If that doesn't work I'll go ahead and make some steel plates. Or perhaps I can borrow yours if you still have it. I'll pay all the costs for sending it over.

Regards Danny

Edited by DannyD

On 20/10/2021 at 13:38, DannyD said:

Thx for the info I'm gonna try it next week with two 20 mm threaded bars and wood. The motor has been overhauled before and I'm hoping this liner hasn't been in the motor all of it's life. If that doesn't work I'll go ahead and make some steel plates. Or perhaps I can borrow yours if you still have it. I'll pay all the costs for sending it over.

Regards Danny

Sorry, I don't have my puller anymore. A few years ago someone else requested the loan of a puller, so I searched my garage where I thought it should be to no avail. I must have loaned it out at some stage and not got it back. Sorry!

I would have thought that if you contacted some boatyards or engineering workshops you'd find one, or something similar which could be adapted to do the job. Good luck!

I made my own puller and used this to pull my liners out. Key ingredients were a chunk of machined steel to snugly fit the base of the liner (within its cutouts) and a long scaffold bar to get a decent purchase. All items were of significant size /strength to cope with pulling liners that had been it situ for at least 50-60 years. The circular items are flanges. Here’s my puller in action.

A1CBE427-67C0-4F0F-BA57-B6ACC0D261BC.jpeg

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know someone wrecked a Perkins 354 with chrome liners.......Cr liners are quite rare in a 354,and when he asked the Perkins agent for rings compatible ,they didnt know what he was talking about......anyway ,they finally got in some plain black cast iron rings.......but the oil ring had bright plating on the rails..(was Duoflex).........back again and UK Motors assured him the plating was "moly" not chrome.,and the rings were correct.....Sure enough ,scored the liners,and blew oil ........silly thing was the original rings didnt need replacing.........and if you do replace the rings in chrome bores,the new rings will take ages to run in,and pump oil in the meantime.